It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fighting a losing Potty battle?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

Fighting a losing Potty battle? Empty
PostSubject: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

So my pup is 4 months old now and I’m a little frustrated because every time I feel hopeful that she’s pretty much potty trained, she goes and pees in the house again. She hasn’t pooped in my house for over a month so that’s not an issue but sometimes I can’t tell if she has any inhibition at all about dropping and peeing inside. I closely monitor her water intake and take her out hourly or if she cries at the door. She hadn’t had an accident for a week and I was so thrilled thinking we were getting there. Then last night, she peed without warning right in front of me and my friend right by our couch. What the heck?! Right now she’s averaging an accident a week for the past few weeks. I just don’t understand why we cant seem to get to 0 accidents?! And why did she just pee right in front of us without even crying at the door?!?!?! GAH! Any thoughts?

Also, she pees when she gets excited which is bad and embarassing : ( Yesterday some kind woman asked to pet her while we were walking and Kiba peed a massive puddle at her feet and she no longer seemed so excited about my puppy lol.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm not sure about the excitable peeing but it seems to me that she's pretty well potty trained. What happened last night sounds like she felt she had given you enough signals and since you didn't pick up on them, she peed to let you know she had to go. Karli has done this before (we didn't catch her signals, so she jumped up on the couch and peed ON us) and its frustrating but if she's going outside 90% of the time she's doing pretty good for a puppy. It may be that she gave a different signal than normal (on our night, Karli had barked at us instead of going to the door, I thought she wanted more water, nope she had to pee) and when you didn't catch it she showed you what it meant. Keep doing what you're doing and if you feel its been a while since she's been out, take her out just to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Try getting a bell she can ring when she has to go. I know of alot of dogs this works well for, im about to start training koda to do it.. Just gotta find a bell
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 pm

the bell might be something to take into consideration. I didnt originally think it was necessary since the dog i had growing up never needed it during housetraining. I guess i hoped that Kiba would be like my familys golden and just whine at the door very obviously . Kiba tends to stand at the door and stare which means if im not in the room with her i have a harder time seeing it. Cinnamonbits - your probably right. I must have just missed her signs yesterday Sad . One accident a week isnt bad at all its just a tiny bit frustrating after 3 months of potty training. ill be glad when we are past this stage
Back to top Go down
EmmaGraceCalder
Newborn
Newborn
EmmaGraceCalder

Female Join date : 2013-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Well my yogi is just coming up 5 months and we have the same excited peeing. If your planning on neutering it will pretty much stop. one accident a week at 4 months is brilliant. At the vets I work at we have dogs of 12 months that still havn't got the hang of it, with no particular fault of the owners. To tackle the random peeing, put a slab of grass by the back door, or in a box, so if they don't make it out, or your not there to see it, they are still going on the right stuff. Hope this helps..
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Puppies have no control over their bladder until at least 6 months of age, and even then they will have accidents. They physically cannot control if they have to pee. Often, you will here the rule of thumb "1 hour for every month they have been alive" but I only use that rule in terms of sleeping and overnights. If they are awake I took Cato out after every playtime, drink, eating, napping, everything. It worked out to be about every 45 minutes or so. They truly cannot help it.

Neutering will only stop it if it's marking and at 4 months it is VERY unlikely that your puppy is marking, but instead is just unable to control its bladder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm

I would not get discouraged. It took Nikko 4 months before he was 100% potty trained. Yukon was much quicker, but it still took him 2 months to be at 100%.

They both will just go to the door and sit and if you don't respond, Yukon used to just pee right there, not any noise or anything. Nikko will scratch at the door now and if you don't pay attention to him he will come and get your attention and go back to the door.

My suggestion is to just keep doing what you are doing and you'll get there!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm

thanks for the encouragement. I am going to have her spayed at 6 months in March so i don't know how it normally affects the nervous/excited peeing but it would be nice if that helped it. I'm glad to hear its not abnormal for her to not be 100% trained at 4 months. A lot of my friends with dogs say things like "oh my dog hasn't had an accident since he was 10 weeks...." ect. and then i feel like my puppy is behind the learning curve. but hearing that some dogs haven't even learned at a year old makes me feel like we're doing alright
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes you are, I have had people say their dogs were trained in a week, but those are usually labs or something. Huskies are very stubborn, and I have heard that it is not uncommon for them to take longer to potty trained. Also, each dog learns at a different pace.

I am not sure about the excited peeing and if spaying will help with it as I have 2 boys. When Nikko was younger sometimes he would pee a little but it only happened a few times, probably because he already had to go!

By the way, she is SO beautiful!!
Back to top Go down
emma.hanna3
Newborn
Newborn
emma.hanna3

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Glad to read this my 13 week old pup hasn't mastered it yet and I was worried it was me!! easy to teach her to sit and give her paw but still working on house training!!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm

If at all possible, I would think about waiting to get her spayed. There is a lot more research coming out about the dangers of early spay. Sheba is 8 months old and is half way through her first heat. I am not spaying her until after her first birthday but before her second heat. There are a lot of benefits to waiting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 am

Really? I'll have to read up on it. She's my first female dog but we waited to get our female cat spayed and when she went into heat it was ridiculous. She howled and we had every non neutered male cat within a 10 mile radius at our door and she acted the fool. I'm not against waiting if its better, I'll just have to look into it more.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:36 am

I can give you some links if you'd like me to?
Back to top Go down
eluke81
Puppy
Puppy
eluke81

Female Join date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 am

I would research the risks of early spaying - I have seen this too in many articles - and while researching my girls bone cancer........... which may have been caused by an early spay also:( she was a rescue so it was not my choice on the timing.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:19 am

sure you can post links about it- i dont mind. id rather make an educated decision before i have it done early. No matter when though, it will happen b/c i'm very pro spay/neutering all my animals. we dont need any more cats or dogs being dumped into shelters Sad
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 pm

You're doing fine on the potty training, just be consistent!

Juneau was ~4 1/2 months when she was finally done pottying in the house. She really strung it out too - once a week or once every few days and I thought she was done.

I feel your frustration! I'm fostering a rescue and he peed right in front of me the other day. Really?!?! lol. It sounds like she's getting it though. Give it a few more weeks and she should be good. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm

I REALLY hope this link works..

One of my friends on facebook has multiple siberian syndrome, and she also shows sibes; so she is very "in the know" about all things dog!! I was on a facebook group asking spay questions, so she sent me this link. She has an array of topics covered, with multiple links on early spay.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/melissa-terri/how-to-raise-a-healthy-pet/10150608703794315
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Melissa is fantastic!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm

KibaHope wrote:
thanks for the encouragement. I am going to have her spayed at 6 months in March so i don't know how it normally affects the nervous/excited peeing but it would be nice if that helped it. I'm glad to hear its not abnormal for her to not be 100% trained at 4 months. A lot of my friends with dogs say things like "oh my dog hasn't had an accident since he was 10 weeks...." ect. and then i feel like my puppy is behind the learning curve. but hearing that some dogs haven't even learned at a year old makes me feel like we're doing alright

Kiba, my american eskimo was house trained in a week. Never had accidents in the house since 4 months. My husky has been a holy terror and is now almost 6 months and still refuses to go outside. It just requires being consistant, I'm sure we'll get there Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
If at all possible, I would think about waiting to get her spayed. There is a lot more research coming out about the dangers of early spay. Sheba is 8 months old and is half way through her first heat. I am not spaying her until after her first birthday but before her second heat. There are a lot of benefits to waiting.

Sheba, what is the recommended age then? I know I wanted to get Yuki done soon, I waited until Cloud was 8 months to neuter him as I did not want to neuter him to early, and I'm conflicted between before first heat / after first heat as I'm getting two different sides telling me both is better.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't think there is really a "recommended" age, just a general time frame. I am waiting until after Sheba is a year old. Most research I have done along with reading the links above, most are pushing for after a year of age so that the dog is balanced physically and mentally. I have read on some sites that you should wait until 13 months old, but I want to get Sheba spayed before her second heat.

As with all things, there are risks and benefits to waiting. I will not downplay that there aren't any risks associated with waiting, but they far out way the benefits to early spay. When you spay too early, you can mess up a lot of things. I have a shelter rescue who was spayed at around 5 months and she is constantly getting UTIs and she also has conformation issues that are directly related to her early spay; I even got a vet who pushes for early spay to admit that early spay was her problem.

While I am a pusher for waiting to spay, I implore you to do research for both sides before spaying early. Oh and a girl in heat really isn't that bad. There are a lot of horror stories on here but mine has been easy sailing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighting a losing Potty battle?   Fighting a losing Potty battle? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fighting a losing Potty battle?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1