It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Spay Questions/Problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 am

I am so sorry I haven't updated, I've been really busy with the dog's. Thank you all for you're concern with Nicky! She is actually doing SO much better! She isn't on any meds anymore and is eating normal and acting like her old self again. She doesn't like anyone looking at her incision except for me, haha. We went to a new vet on Saturday and they are wonderful! So much better than the last vet! I made an appointment for Nicky to get her stitches out on Wednesday and the new vet is going to tell me what she think's about everything.

Thank you all again for the advice, kind words, and keeping us in you're thoughts!
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 am

So glad to hear she's doing much better! Hope the new vet works out for you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 am

Glad to see that she's doing better finally!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Just when I thought we were out of the woods with Nicky, another problem popped up. One of her internal sutures popped up at the very bottom of her scar. I thought the vet maybe missed one when she took out Nicky's stitches and come to find out, it was an internal one that was suppose to have been dissolved. I gotta take her back to the vet at 7:30 tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Oh my goodness!! I am so sorry!! I hope it isn't anything too serious, I've never had that happen to me before.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 pm

That's actually a somewhat common problem with internal sutures. Normally there's no harm done, because as the site heals the body can push out foreign objects like suture material, and I actually had that happen on my last ankle surgery. You're right to take her in though, when mine happened the incision got really infected. Hopefully it winds up being no big deal!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 pm

That's exactly what happened Meredith.

The vet said it was the knot of the internal sutures and that it could take month's for them to dissolve. So, they just trimmed it up, so it wasn't pocking out. Vet said it actually can happen again and if it does, just leave it alone and it will eventually dissolve.

So thankful it wasn't anything serious!

Nicky is still as crazy as ever and bouncing back off my walls again Smile

Hopefully Sunday's meet will get rid of some of the energy like last time!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 pm

Glad to hear that it's not presenting a problem!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:20 am

Any updates?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 am

Wow, I just saw this thread, and it baffles me that a vet could be so incompetent. Isn't it supposed to be like super hard and take years of schooling to even become one? -.- How do these idiots get in.

Yuki's stitches don't look anywhere near like that. I hope poor Nicky is feeling better by this point.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 pm

She is feeling much better, thank you all for the concern Smile
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 am

So I have checked out every spay thread and could not find my answer.

Meeka is getting spayed on Friday and I'm sure Banfield can answer my questions that day but very curious right now.

Anyways, instead of using the "cone of shame" can I instead use underwrap (think sports injury) and sports tape over the stitches to prevent Meeka from licking it?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 am

I would advise against it since the area will need air to heal. If the incision is covered the whole time, it may not heal as fast or as well. Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 2144500265
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:23 am

Figured that was the most likely answer. As she is a 50:50 dog (I let her choose to sleep on outside house or inside the house) I'm worried because I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off to take care of her and by Wednesday she will need more than likely stay in the backyard while I'm out work...the worry is that since I live in a busy corner house it's super dusty and has me worry about possible infection.

I'm probably worrying too much since this is the first dog I get altered.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 am

Would there be any chance to keep her inside the house? It might not be possible, but I thought I'd ask anyway...
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:19 am

It's a risk I may need to take to prevent infection. My concern is that I have a 50 gallon fish tank that currently is sitting low to the ground as my old stand was beggining to cave. Meeka eye balls the fish but has never attempted to do anything, but leaving her unattended might be a different story. I don't think she can tip it since it would weight well into 500 pounds but the risk is there in my head and 59 gallons of water all over the house would not be a pretty thing to see. Smile

That's where my sports underwrap and tape question came to mind since its dusty outside. I have already been denied working from home since that Wednesday we have important meetings at work that I can't miss otherwise I be working from home all week.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 am

Oh - what about keeping her in the bathroom or something? That's what one of my other friends did when their pup was spayed. There shouldn't be too much she can get into (a few childproof items helped a bunch), and if she does have an accident, it's nowhere near as bad to clean up. Plus more points for keeping the fishies safe... Smile
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 2:29 am

Follow Up questions...

1. Since the spay procedure Meeka has been acting very weird, basically ignoring me and getting a lot closer to my wife. Almost like she is holding a grudge against me.

Is that normal?

2. Since the procedure she has been breathing a bit faster than normal, I am linking that to the meds, but just about an hour ago for a minute period she had violent contractions in her abdominal area. It stopped and not returned, so holding off going to the emergency vet for now and going to see if I can schedule a visit with Banfield tomorrow (have one for Friday).

Is the above "normal" or am I just over worrying? First dog I get the procedure done, so I am freaking out a bit and somewhat regretting the spay done since all these "problems" have come up since it was done.

Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 am

Just to add...when she was having the contractions, I offered her water and that's when it stopped.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 3:00 am

Not sure if there is a link or not, But as soon as we got out lab/pit mix spayed, She started attacking our other female dog, and they now have to be seperated 100% of the time, and she went from being my dog to my moms dog.

The contractions though I have never heard of and non of mine have every done that. She may be reacting to the meds or her nerves reacting to the procedure.
I tried doing a quick search to find if it was normal and did not come up with anything for you, I would contact your vet about it when they open, as long as the contractions stay away. Though if she is on some pain meds or something it is most possible that they are upsetting her stomach and causing cramps or 'hiccups'.

Just my 2 cents on it, I am no expert. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spay Questions/Problems   Spay Questions/Problems - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spay Questions/Problems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4