It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy biting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 am

It seems as koda is getting worse everyday with nipping.. I catch myself gettig really frustrated.. But then i realize he is a puppy and i have to work on it wit him.. I dont know what to do anymore though.. I tried a bunch of diffrent things.. Saying"no bite" and pulling away.. Give him a toy when he catches skin.. Isolating myself from him.. Ignoring him... I dont know what else to try.. I read somewhere a squirt bottle of water but i dodnt try that yet... I also read rubbing frozen butter on my skin and letting him lick it off... Do you giys think any of that will work?or have any othersuggestions? He starts puppy training classes tomorrow so maybe i can get a few tips from that aswell.. Does the nipping start getting better at all? I understand he is teething..
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 am

dude, i feel like you're experiencing everything i experienced but a week later. i was just about ready to give up and just deal with having a dog that bites. then something clicked. in the last 4-5 days, he's gotten EXPONENTIALLY better.

things i've tried:

1)yelping loudly whenever he bites
2)teaching the "nice" command aka holding a treat in my hand and not giving it to him until the SECOND he licks.

that's it.

he's great now. he still takes treats like a barbarian but it's definitely improving. keep the faith, brother.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 am

Ive done both or those tips.. Yelping gets him more excoted and the easy is working wit treats but does bothing to help with him nipping me out of no where
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 am

Lots of people also suggest leaving the room when they bite to end the play session and show them that when they bite, they don't get to play. That didn't work for me because most of the time Pippa wasn't doing it when we were playing, but when she wanted a treat or something.

I ended up grabbing her muzzle and saying NO, not loudly, but very low. She stopped pretty quickly after that. I don't know how everyone feels about doing that to a puppy though.

I've also tried to grab in her mouth and press down lightly on her tongue and saying no. I've heard it works for some.
Back to top Go down
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
Dragonfly

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:34 am

The important thing when teaching you're puppy is to stay consistent. Don't try something new every time it doesn't work out at first.

With my pups I keep a chew toy on hand and play little games of tug with them. If they get too excited and bite my hand instead the toy I say "NO." and pull the toy out of reach. I also use my other hand to pet them in between tugging at the toy and if they try to play with or bite on my hand I say "NO." and pull my hand out of reach.

But again, the important thing is to not give up on one method too fast because your puppy can get confused. Also if you hand him a toy every time he bites he might start thinking that biting on your hand gets him a toy.
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 am

As DaniellaCortez said it seems to a stage they all go through and you need to hang in there and be consistent with the training, it will improve after a few weeks anyway but you do want to curb any unwanted behavior ASAP. There is a post on here from me when Arya was the same age with the exact same problem.

What we found worked best was when the pup mouthed/bites let out a yelp or say ah! ah!, and immediately give a time out for 5 mins or so (not in the pups crate) . during the timeout there should be zero interaction with the pup don't even make eye contact, the pup will soon associate the timeout with the biting. As mentioned above it will not work after the first attempt so give a method a least a couple of days of being consistent before going to a new method.

there is an excellent short video on puppy biting by Victoria Stilwell here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHk3o3P5cw
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

You could still have a long way to go. Lucian is almost six months, and still tries to mouth sometimes. It took him forever to get it. That was mainly because my hubby's brothers would come over to see him, and let him bite them. Rolling Eyes But it could take a while for him to get what you are trying to tell him. Sometimes grabbing the muzzle, and a firm no, or growl works too. I had to do this with Lucian, as nothing else worked. My Mom actually tapped Lucian in the nose with a rolled up newspaper once, and now anytime he hears paper rustling he quits being bad.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 pm

The only thing so far that seems to help him understand is then i grab his mouth.. He stops pulls away from me looks at me then starts nibbling again.. But i feel bad doing that to him.. "No" just gets him more hypet and excites and so does me yelpig.. I am trying to think of a place to do timeout thats safe for him.. I might start trying that next if i can figure it out
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Don't worry, it gets better Very Happy Yuki stopped about 3 or 4 months. I did a lot of the 'item swapping', giving toys when she goes for hands, and putting her in time out when she bit because it got really bad one week.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Kingsley would get even more riled up when I would yelp or say NO, but you have to do it every day, EVERY time. After a week or two, he'll start to subside. For us, when he would start nipping, and if he would start growling and barking at us, I would just go to sit on the couch and ignore him. No eye contact, no talking to him. Just watch TV or something.

Soon, he'll realize that biting you means that play time is over.

It just *clicked* for Kingsley. He'll still mouth and nip, but nowhere near as bad as a week and a half ago.

Be patient and consistent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
Dragonfly

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Try using a different word like "Hey" or "Stop" if No is getting him more excited, he probably has the word associated with playing rough with you and doesn't understand what it means.
Back to top Go down
EmmaGraceCalder
Newborn
Newborn
EmmaGraceCalder

Female Join date : 2013-01-01

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

I had exactly the same problem with Yogi and his brother Blue while I was fostering him. I know it seems harsh but water bottle worked best until he was more or less done teething, then it calmed right down, so it may be that. Keep the work up with replacing you with a toy. I know its hard....and painful!!! But keep calm, its not a forever trait Smile
x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puppy biting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy biting   Puppy biting Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy biting

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1