It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Teaching stay

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Teaching stay   Teaching stay EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 am

I'm trying to teach kiba stay and am not sure what's the best way to go about this. We started with a "sit" which she des well. Then I would try to take a step back with my hand up but no verbal yet. Well almost immediately we hit our first roadblock- as soon as I move she stands up and steps towards me lol. After several attempts of taking a small step back she got frustrated because she sat but didn't get the tasty cheese treat she normally would for sitting on command. Here's the kicker- my smart puppy decided if she wasn't getting a treat for sitting then why do anything at all. She walked off. when I tried " come" ( hoping to end on a positive note with an easy command) she peeked around the corner at me and just sat there. I even held the piece of cheese out and tried again. Snubbed. I could almost read her face and it said " mom your a liar. You won't give me that if I come" .

That being said I may have to rethink my technique for "stay" . Is this a two person command ( like with a leash)? I'm new to training but this is my first difficulty with it. Haven't ever had her completely ignore me like that ( although I'm sure it's not going to be the last time lol)
Back to top Go down
Dragonfly
Puppy
Puppy
Dragonfly

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching stay   Teaching stay EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 am

I know how you feel lol, Maya refused to stay when I took a step back until I made her lay down and THEN stay.

When you tell her to sit give a treat as usual and the ask her to stay, when you step back and she tries to follow just step forward again and have her sit again, ALWAYS in the same spot you asked her to sit, you can even put a piece of tape on the floor so that you always put her back where you asked her to stay.

If she ever starts to stand up then immediately walk back to her and put her back where you had her. It does take some patience, and if she starts acting tired of the lesson (try not to make it last more then 5-10 minutes) then ask her to do something she already knows well so you can give her one last treat and then give her a break.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching stay   Teaching stay EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 am

You need to build up time before you build up distance. Make her sit for longer periods of time. Once you build up to a steady one minute or so sit, then go for distance. Before you move back, start out moving side to side. If she will sit and stay while you are moving side to side, then you can start moving backwards. She doesn't know that you want her to sit while you move away. The minute she even flinches to move forward, get her out of the sit and start over.

Make sure you don't make the sessions too long, or she won't want to cooperate with you for much longer. You don't want to push her mind farther then it can go or she will become detached and start acting out when you try to train her.

There are lots of good articles on google about teaching stay. There is no one right or wrong way to teach it; but building time before distance always worked for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching stay   Teaching stay EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 am

What worked for us was doing the "stay" hand command, stepping out feet back, but keeping our hand right where it was (in front of her nose), then treating. After she understood that, we would step back, keep our hand in place, then sloooowly move our hand back, when we saw her start to want to move, we'd move our hand forward a little and she'd pause again. Keeping like this, we eventually could move away further and without having the hand signal up. It also helped for my roomie to work with her, because she is less attached to him, so less likely to go running to him screaminging "MOOM! WHY ARE YOU LEAVING ME!" (or, dad i guess)

If she did move to stand up (after working up to removing the constant hand signal), I'd go "Bahhhh!" and put the hand signal back up. She'd freeze, like "what????" and as soon as she did, we'd tell her she was good, take another little step back, then end the stay before she couldn't resist getting up.

I don't know how conventional this is, just sharing what worked for us. Short training sessions are super important for stay, in my experience. Also, moving to the side, keeping the same distance, worked pretty well too (we had to do the hand in the face thing before we could work up to side-to-side though). Good luck.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching stay   Teaching stay EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 am

You think teaching stay and moving is tough, try teaching stay in regards to leaving food in front of them with out them eating it! You got good avice all ready not much more for me to add other then keep up the training. These huskies train us more then we train them Smile

Newborn
Newborn
Camoger

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching stay   Teaching stay EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 4:04 am

Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching stay   Teaching stay EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:23 am

Sorry for delayed response- ive had a crazy work week. These are great suggestions!! Honestly i think i can use all of this- especially the building time in "sit" before she gets a treat. I never thought of it. I probably was just moving too fast for where we are at right now.

I know she's lil pup because she's gotten everything else we've worked on so far so hopefully with all of this in mind we can be more sucessful. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Teaching stay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching stay   Teaching stay Empty

Back to top Go down

Teaching stay

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1