It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

It really grinds my gears

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

It really grinds my gears Empty
PostSubject: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:42 pm

When I go for walks with the "wolf" and people ask how old he is saying oh gosh he's tiny. Yeah my 2 month old 20lb puppy is tiny. The second part is when they say he looks like he's gonna be huge! I usually respond with yeah but only about 50- 60 pounds at max I'm guessing. They usually go on to say oh but huskies are large breed dogs, they usually get to 80-100. By this point I'm usually screaming obscenities in my head while I'm still smiling outwardly. I usually say as nicely as possible that those were huskies that were bred badly ,and are out of breed standard. That usually wins me some strained smiles and weird looks. Apparently the average size of a husky is suppose to rival a malamute. I was also recently asked if I knew that they blew their coats 5 times a year. lol!
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Ohh I love how people are " He is going to be gigantic. You can tell by how big his paws are. He is going to be like a 100 pounds." That is when I say I have a Husky not a Malamute and a deer in headlights look crosses their face.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Can't blame people too harshly for not being super educated with Huskies. The most they're ever exposed to them is in movies and they're usually "playing" wolves.

People are ALWAYS like "omg he's gonna be so big! he's a large breed! are you sure you want such a big dog?!" And I'm always like "WELL ACTUALLY....." then I go on to educate them trying my hardest not to sound condescending.

lol, people. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm

It wont stop, sorry! We constantly get remarked on how small Tika is. She is 42 pounds and pretty much full grown, just a bit of filling out left. We try and take the time to explain that they are thinking of a Mal and not a husky.

The worst one was a lady who told us (after we told her their breeds) that she had a REAL husky. Because he had blue eyes......We just walked away at that point.

In essence, get used to it, or learn to brush it off, because it wont go away. We try and supply the accurate information when people ask, but not every person is worth the energy it would take.....lol
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:57 pm

It amuses me most of the time. like the time I was with my neighbor and his husky and someone remarked,oh my what pretty Alaskan huskies. lol! I do my best to explain as nicely as possible. I've had people ask me is he part wolf Razz

Edit: oh yeah and why isn't he fluffy Shocked I think anyone who has seen Anakin can testify he's fluffy. They usually refer me to this woman here in NC that is specializing in breeding woollies, asking why he doesn't look like her puppies.

Last edited by SkylerWest on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:58 pm

what i really hate is when people on instagram or tumblr post pictures of their huskies or malamutes and tag it with "wolf". it's like, "no you're dumb, they're dogs, not wolves, you asshat"
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Although - on the bright side, it will always be entertaining. Somebody at the park with a wooly husky was talking about how his dog was the PERFECT husky. I pointed out that wooly coats are usually not breeding material and that 70+lbs was out of the breed standard. He was like, "Breed standard? What's that?" Rolling Eyes

Stark is upwards of 47 lbs and he still needs to fill out, so i'm hoping he won't be more than 60 lbs. People are always like, "oh, no... that's way too small for a husky - they're usually as big as GSDs!!"

I just chuckle and try to educate. It really is hard without sounding condescending though... =\
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:02 pm

DanielleCortez wrote:
Can't blame people too harshly for not being super educated with Huskies. The most they're ever exposed to them is in movies and they're usually "playing" wolves.

+1

I don't think anyone tags huskies as wolves on tumblr because theres any thought they're a wolf, it just opens another search for reblogs. I know my husband has tagged photos of our pups as such.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

I get the wolf comments but it's usually from young kids. I also get comments on how he's so big (he's 55 lbs.). Well, not really. Normal size for a husky, but there's many breeds that are much larger than him! I just smile and move on.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Been dealing with this for 20 years. Is that a wolf? Is that full grown dog a puppy? Is that a fox? Sometimes the best reply is to just smile and nod. Otherwise I try to educate if I think they can handle the truth! If I'm in a bad mood and I get the wolf question, I tell them I work at the nearby zoo and that she be back in her exhibit tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:13 pm

bellecma wrote:
If I'm in a bad mood and I get the wolf question, I tell them I work at the nearby zoo and that she be back in her exhibit tomorrow.

I might steal this the next time I get the coyote question for Tika (she's constantly compared to one, or to a fox, shes too small and red for them to think wolf very often)
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:16 pm

My favorite "wolf" experience is when I was outside a petsmart talking with a lady with a black lab pup. Our pups were playing/sniffing each other and this "for lack of a better word" redneck comes up behind Loki and poked him in the butt and said " That there is one of them wolf dogs" I said No he is a husky and if he was do you think sneaking up on him and poking him in the butt would be a good idea." The guy blanched and smirked.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:19 pm

bellecma wrote:
Is that a fox?

I WISH I HAD A PET FOX. That of course was tamable & trainable. BUT STILL THEY'RE SO CUTE.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Kellyb wrote:
bellecma wrote:
If I'm in a bad mood and I get the wolf question, I tell them I work at the nearby zoo and that she be back in her exhibit tomorrow.

I might steal this the next time I get the coyote question for Tika (she's constantly compared to one, or to a fox, shes too small and red for them to think wolf very often)

Lmao, " for lack of a better word." I've had my fair share of odd comments in the few weeks I've had him with me.

I want a fox so bad I think I might start looking into a Shiba Inu for my next dog.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

I was recently asked if Bella was a mini. Sometimes you just have to shake your head offer the tired no she's just on the low end of the breed and hope they don't walk away thinking they were lied to.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 pm

I've started just saying "yeah" when people ask me about my "wolf". I have grown tired of correcting people so as far as I'm concerned, my sibe is whatever people wish to believe he is whether it be wolf, Akita, or Australian Shepherd, I really don't care.

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:27 pm

My pups are within the standard for the breed we do get the wolf questions once in a while. Also they are very small ??? they are just right.. now for another statement my step-son has a husky that weights over 100 lbs and his vet told him he was a good weight for a husky yea right.. It really grinds my gears 1625187496
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

Male Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm

I always get told that my white husky its not real because we all know that all huskies are black and white or red or gray. and thats it.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:30 pm

I've had many people ask if Nikko is a Malamute, Siberian Husky, Alaskan Husky, Wolf-Dog, etc. Most people do not know the different between a Husky and Malamute so depending on the person I will explain it, unless they seem too stupid to comprehend it LOL

And more people than not ask what Yukon is, because they have never seen a white Husky before. Most think he is a White German Shepherd.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm

pierody wrote:
I always get told that my white husky its not real because we all know that all huskies are black and white or red or gray. and thats it.

THAT'S RACIST! jk.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 pm

I don't get asked things much anymore while walking more then one. Usually people look at us and cross the street rather then walk by us. Laughing

But at dog events everyone asks me how old my puppies are...
Back to top Go down
pierody
Puppy
Puppy
pierody

Male Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 pm

that is racist hahahah but its funny tho
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:44 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:

Should say they're 4 weeks old... and when they look dumbfounded, you say "Yeah, but they're REALLY small for their age"... Smile

Hey, if you can't beat 'em...
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
MayaAndSophie wrote:

Should say they're 4 weeks old... and when they look dumbfounded, you say "Yeah, but they're REALLY small for their age"... Smile

Hey, if you can't beat 'em...
lol!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Haha, this is too funny...
One of my bf's friends son, came over and as soon as he saw the dogs he jumped on his dad..
I asked him "what's wrong, you don't like dogs?'...
He said " I do, I just don't like coyotes"...Crazy kids!!

One time both of the dogs escaped and I was calling their names...my neighbor asks..."were those 2 dogs yours?." "the cop dogs"...good grief!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It really grinds my gears   It really grinds my gears Empty

Back to top Go down

It really grinds my gears

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next