It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MayaDog
Newborn
Newborn
MayaDog

Male Join date : 2013-05-18

First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Maya has had a busy first year and a half in our small 20ft by 50ft back yard (no trees)

bumble bee's: countless
moths/butterflies: countless
mice: 2
shrew: 1
birds: 3 (found her with one and 2 dive bombing her, she caught and released when asked the second 2 that were dive bombing her for their dead friend)
squirrels: 2 (plus a few she got by the tail that she let go when I told her to leave it)

others:
1 squirrel running (jumped up into a tree mid stride and grabbed it off a low branch)
2 squirrels in the dog park
1 bird in the park
Back to top Go down
redraidersrule
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-04-18

First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyThu May 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Nothing big yet for our two, just a lot of caterpillars. There are a lot of rabbits in my area so it can't be long until they get one
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2013 1:17 am

Anya ate a chick, but it doesn't count because it was already dead :-/
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 7:10 pm

This looked like the best existing thread for this.

Well Klaus got his first kill today. I think a mama squirrel. Poor thing. To be fair she has teased him since fall before she had babies.. so I'm not surprised. However I have no idea if her babies are old enough to be on their own or not. Or if it was a baby and not mom. Our neighbor has a tarp covering something that is leaning against our privacy fence and she seems to have a nest in there. I'm pretty sure I seen more than one squirrel walking around in their yard so they're not super young, but what if they still needed her? I'm thinking I should call someone to pick them up, not sure who. Might be a silly question but can Klaus get in trouble for getting a squirrel?

Also, I didn't see any bites or scratches on him... so he should be good? Rabies was updated last month.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 8:51 pm

My thoughts are that if Klaus got one, it was probably a kit (young squirrel).  Unless he caught an adult completely off guard - fat chance! - he would have suffered damage,  squirrel's can be vicious!!

Mom, the doe, has two litters a year, so assume that if they're approaching the six month mark they're pretty much an adult.  (( Without the adults experience ))  If they're wandering around the yard on their own I think you can assume they're old enough to not need momma for milk - they should be able to survive on their own (if Klaus doesn't get too many more!)

Animal law varies *greatly* grom area to area.  My off the cuff answer would be that as long as they aren't pet squirrels then he's fine legally.  However if they're protected and to my knowledge *none* are now but there was one (red/grey?) that was protected here in Texas and the fox squirrel was protected in the DelMarVa area until last year. (( I can't even straighten that sentence out! )) If they're protected *he* won't get in trouble but you might.

If you don't see scratches / bites, just use common sense and watch for any you might have missed - but if it's a kit, he probably didn't get any.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 11:57 pm

I don't know your laws but here in ny dogs are not supposed to "harass" wildlife.  I would keep quiet.  You do not know how your animal control will respond.

Last edited by amymeme on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 12:33 am

Haley, no idea on everything, except for the rabies issue that you brought up.....from what I read squirrels are not rabies carriers, so they have to be bit by something, and the actual squirrel that could survive a bite from a rabid animal is slim. So that will put your mind at ease. Miya loves squirrels, but for the most part adults are way too clever, babies on the other hand....ugh....let's not talk about it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 10:41 am

If you are worried about young your best bet is to poke around where you think the nest is. If you find them and they look weak, since at this point they will have been off the mother a while if that was the mom killed, then you can box them and find them a home with the conservation department usually. Just say the mama got hit on the road and you could hear the babies crying for a long while. If it's been very long and the babies are very young they could already be dead. I would do an inspection myself first and not bother to call someone in. If they are older they will run from you. If they have fur and move around readily then they are old enough to figure life out on their own but if they are lacking fur or not willing to run from the nest when you find them then they are too young to be alone. An eye dropper and esbilac is good to feed them until you can get them to the next person.

Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Well by time I got home from work I didn't see any. Its on the other side of our privacy fence in our neighbors yard so I rattled the tarp really good and couldnt see or hear anything. They must have been old enough to leave. So thats a relief!

He has been really obsessive about wanting to go outside now, and won't leave that spot. So hopefully after a couple days he calms down. I can't get him back in the house unless I take him out on a leash.
Back to top Go down
th1921
Puppy
Puppy
th1921

Female Join date : 2015-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Suka is a snake killer!  Nearly gives me a heart attack when she leaves one on the porch for me.  She also catches mice, moles and birds....she is just so darn fast!!  

First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 Suka_s10
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 6:17 pm

Wow good job Suka! I can't imagine that snakes taste too yummy lol
Back to top Go down
Vincent Drake
Newborn
Newborn
Vincent Drake

Male Join date : 2016-04-28

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:47 am

i almost lost my two dogs due to a similar incident...opne of the stupid roommates left the back door open i guess and one of our kittens got out into the back...the dogs are great with them indoors..but outdoors is another matter and everyone knows this. they broke her back and died on the way to the vet...roommate who owns the house called my dogs murderers and was threatening to have them euthenized...this happened last year..so now theyre not allowed to be out of my sight due to someones stupidity of not closing the door..not the cats fault..and not the dogs fault
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.    First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

First Kill... hope its the last, well its has not been the last.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3