It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

my first vet visit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Took Khloe to the vet for her first visit yesterday.
She weighs 12.6 lbs, and she's 8 weeks old.
She's very healthy, and happy.
Notice she wasn't too thrilled about being there...she had her tongue out most of the time.

my first vet visit 02061310

my first vet visit 02061311

my first vet visit 02061312
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Wow she looks so big in the pictures. She sure is a cute pup..
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:02 pm

isn't it weird??...she looks HUGE!!!
and in other pics of her she looks really orange...here she looks like a dirty brown.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:06 pm

She's real cute!
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 pm

She looks so fluffy. Makes me miss the puppy fur on my big boy. At 7 months he weights 50 pds and I can barely pick him up.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 pm

She's so cute!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Can I ask why she's just now seeing the vet for the first time at 8 weeks?

my first vet visit Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 pm

awe, I don't want her to grow up...why can't they just stay puppy forever?
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:40 pm

yes, she was originally scheduled 2 weeks ago..because of financial hardship...i was not able to take her in sooner. Sad
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Has the pup not had any shots prior to this? What about deworming?

Breeding is expensive. The dogs you bring into the world are living, breathing creatures. Their health and life should never be compromised.

Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 4:59 pm

no she has not...my vet said that she was right on time for her shots and all...am I wrong for taking her in so late?

I know they are all living breathing creatures...I would never do anything to ever jeopardize her health. Like I said she was scheduled to go in at 6 weeks...I couldn't take her in as I had a death in the family, and needed to help out. Sad

I got in her in as soon as I could.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Puppies should be dewormed at least once and should have their initial set of shots between 3-4 weeks. usually breeders will give the second set between 6 and 8 weeks prior to the dogs being placed in their new homes. (It's important to know these things - even if a puppy is being kept these things are important practices to ensure healthy puppies)

Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Wow really between 3-4 weeks?
I've had dogs all my life, and I've always been told first set of shots and deworming around 6-8 weeks. Could it be that my vet is wrong for telling me she was at the right time for getting her shots now??

I almost feel like a bad mom now??
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Vaccines at 3-4 weeks really won't do much of anything. Most if not all puppies are still carrying their mothers antibodies at that time and you would be vaccinating just to vaccinate.

Most vets and most vaccine schedules recommend the earliest of 6 weeks before first vaccination, and most are done between 6-8 weeks. Here are 2 schedules:

Summary of AAHA guidelines.

Dr. Jean Dodds vaccine protocol for limited vaccination.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:27 pm

From my understanding - I know breeders will do the initial shots at 6 weeks though (there isn't anything really -wrong- with that). Many people I know who get their puppies out at 8 weeks will have given those puppies 2 sets of shots.

The issues wasn't necessarily with the shots itself - my issues was with the fact that the puppy hadn't seen a vet prior to this point. If you are an inexperienced breeder it is EXTREMELY important to work in conjunction with the vet to properly care for the puppies if you don't have a mentor. As the vet can guide you in the proper growth and development of the puppies.

Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:32 pm

yes, I understand...and when I called to scheduled the first appointment with my vet she said the exact same thing about puppy getting her antibodies from mom. So they said there was no appointment needed, until about 8 weeks.

I chose not to wait that long, so I scheduled it for her. Then my aunt passed and I couldn't get her in.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:33 pm

You're not a bad mom!

As Kristina pointed out the shots at that age aren't required because of the antibodies (Just from my experiences and people I know who have given shots). And the shots are scheduled 3-4 weeks apart.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Everyone understands that life gets in the way sometimes.

I just feel it's important if one does not have a mentor that they be working very closely with their vet to make sure the puppies are growing adequately through the appropriate stages - not just seeing the vet the first time at 8 weeks for shots. But that's my opinion and why I was so worried.

Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 pm

and you're absolutely right. I have been working with my vet, and that's what she recommended. I joined this site because I know a lot of ppl on here are very well educated...and can give me advice as well.
I don't ever plan on breeding, and that's why I chose to have both Kato and Karma fixed. NO MORE PUPPIES!!
Karma is scheduled to get spayed this coming monday. I'm keeping baby Khloe, because I feel she'll be safe and happy with me rather then some random person on the street.
I love my dogs as they are my children, and I would never do anything to jeopardize their health.
I have Khloe on a puppy plan and she will be back at the vet in two weeks.

Last edited by Iluvmyhuskies on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm

See - no reason for you to say you feel like a bad mom then Smile

Can't wait to watch her grow up!

Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I said that only because I thought maybe I've been listening to a vet who might have been giving me incorrect advice this whole time...and I was an idiot for listening. Rolling Eyes

I can't wait to watch her grow...oh wait I can...they grow up to fast. I'm gonna miss her puppy days.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm

All vets suggest different things - Like I said I have friends who give their pups two sets before going to their new homes and I know others who do them at 6 weeks.

I also know people who have their pups in at least 3 or 4 times since birth (they're less experienced) just to ensure everything is going smoothly.

But I know very experienced breeders who will only have their puppies seen once or twice because they've whelped many a litter over 30 years or whatever.

(I only like puppies for how cute and tiny they are - I like them much more when they are older and don't wake me up every hour or two to go potty lol)

Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:16 pm

yes, I have to agree with you about the puppy cuteness...

just like kids they are needy, and when they get older they don't need help with the potty..lol
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 pm

never thought of it like that lol

I don't have kids so I guess it never occurred to me xD

Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:26 pm

yep, just like kids...the older they get...the less they need you. It's actually pretty sad.. Sad

when my kids get older, and decide they don't need me as much atleast i'll have my furbabies to keep me company!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

my first vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first vet visit   my first vet visit Empty

Back to top Go down

my first vet visit

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next