It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Types of dog food help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nakoda
Newborn
Newborn
Nakoda

Male Join date : 2013-02-09

Types of dog food help Empty
PostSubject: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 am

I am living in Italy due to my husband in the military and have limited options for dog food. On the base I can get Science Diet (I am using right now), Iams, Natural Choice or Benifull.

Nakoda is about 3 months old and I am having trouble with Liquid poops most of the time. I am afraid it might be the Science Diet Large Bread Puppy dog food that is causing it. He had been on it for a little over a month. I choice it because I didn't thought I couldn't feed food with wheat in it. I am thinking of switching food but am unsure if maybe I should wait a little longer.

I know this is a sensitive topic about preference but I need a second opinion. I am leaning toward Natural Choice which seams to have little to no Corn as well as no Wheat.

Nakoda is not acting sick or lazy. The ONLY symptom is the runs. He is still very active and bouncing everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:53 am

Welcome and I am sorry to hear Nakoda's not doing too well on his food. I moved this to the nutrition and feeding forum where it is more appropriate. Wink

Of the foods you mentioned that are available to you, the Natural Choice is definitely the best of the bunch. Do they not carry Blue Buffalo? The bases here in the States (that I have been to anyway) all carry Blue Buffalo which I would recommend over the Natural Choice if it's an option.

Newborn
Newborn
Nakoda

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:07 am

Thank you for changing the forum..I am very new to this site so still trying to figure out where everything is. And due to the small size of the base and the strict Italian laws, some foods you just can't get such as the Call of the Wild, Blue buffalo and others. What I listed is pretty much it unless I try an Italian brand, but translating the ingredients and stuff in not the easiest thing. At least if I stick to stuff on base I know I can get it at most other places.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 am

Understood, just thought I'd check. Well, Nutro wouldn't be my first choice but the Natural Choice is the best of the few foods available to you. Hope Nakoda does better on it if you go that route.

Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Try giving him some pumpkin puree to help with the runs. How many times a day do you feed him?
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 1:18 pm

I second that. Of the options you have, Natural Choice will be the best option. My chi's been on that for a few years now and he does fine. We haven't switched him to a better food because there hasn't been reason to. It works for him. He's healthy and has no tummy upsets.

I'm not sure how it works over seas or on a military base, but it couldn't hurt to look into possibly having Blue Buffalo delivered. I know the military has different shipping addresses. Check amazon and blue buffalo's company site to see if that's an option for you.
Back to top Go down
Nakoda
Newborn
Newborn
Nakoda

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 4:00 am

I feed him 3 times a day. Due to working and the husband gone...I give him a cup in the morning, a 1/4 cup at my lunch time and another cup at night. He is crated during work to help with the potty training which he has almost got down pack and so he doest rip up everything with those razor sharp teeth.

I tried to give him a little more at lunch be if so, he seems to have a poop accident in his crate and all over him..so 1/4 cup at lunch is all he gets for now.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Normally if you talk to the commissary to see if they will carry it they do want they can. It normally worked for my parents when they were stationed in Korea and wanted something.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

I have a friend that lives in Italy. I'm going to ask her if she can recommend some brands and post here.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Types of dog food help   Types of dog food help Empty

Back to top Go down

Types of dog food help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1