It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New from New York!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: New from New York!   New from New York! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I have been reading these forums for about a month now, trying to get as much good advice as I can. Ever since I was nine years old, I have wanted a husky. Seventeen years later, I am finally able to get one. I am so excited, but I still have to wait till June to get my pup, due to work. I have done weeks and weeks of research to make sure that I understand what it is that I am getting into, and I am definitely ready.

I am a teacher, and I will be gone for 8 hours a day., that is why I am getting the pup during our summer break. It worries me because I have read on many different sites, that if you will be gone 8 hours a day, a husky is not for you. But I cannot see myself getting any other breed. I have wanted this breed every year and haven't been able to have it. My roommate will be here off and on throughout the day, in the fall, but every other day, so I believe that will help.

I have started getting my room all arranged for the arrival, that is five months away haha. I am having a very hard time picking out a crate. I have read multiple stories where a husky has broken out of wire crates in a mere hour. Therefore, I was wondering if I should get the indestructible dog crate -
http://www.amazon.com/ProSelect-ZW179-37-Empire-Cages/dp/B000Y905XE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360422656&sr=8-1&keywords=indestructible+dog+crate

Which is all steel. I know it looks like a prison, and I dislike it, but I want to ensure the safety of the pup, and household, when I am gone.

Also, I was wondering if the large kennel would be the appropriate size for it when she or he gets bigger? I understand that I need to block off half of it, when it is a puppy.

Besides a crate, kennel, food/water dish, brush, leash, harness, toys, and medicines, what else do I need in preparation?

Is there any specific brand harness you recommend? Or coat vitamin?

How about vacuum cleaner? Which brand/model is the best for all of this hair?

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to make sure that I will have everything the pup will need.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to all the help I can get Smile
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from New York!   New from New York! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi and welcome! Huskies can be escape artists, yes, but I don't think you'll need to get that crate you listed. If you're worried that a wire crate won't work for you, try a vari kennel. Those are a little harder to break out of, though it's still been done. I think as long as you introduce the crate as a safe environment, you won't have to worry about your husky breaking loose. Most dogs love their crates. The only time I can see crate escaping being a real issue is if your husky should develop separation anxiety.

Size-wise, a lot of us on here have gone with the 42"x28"x28" crates.

I think you've got preparation down, I would just include a doggie first aid kit. Be sure to include quick stop (or flour) if your pup should ever break a nail past the quick. As I just recently had to deal with a sliced paw pad, I'd also suggest gauze, anti-bacterial cream and sports tape/ace bandages. Don't forget a bed or blanket! If you're going through a breeder, I'd ask if you can give them the blanket ahead of time, so that it can gain the scent of the mom and littermates and make the transition to a new home easier.

As a puppy, it's more about getting the pup used to the harness so I don't think brand matters much at first. The pulling's going to start around 5 months or so and by then, you'll already need a bigger harness than the first one you bought. My mom's lab is a big puller and we use an EasyWalk harness on him. The regular harnesses with the D ring on the back are going to encourage pulling, especially in breeds like huskies. Pulling's what they love.

The best coat vitamin I can think of is just feeding a raw diet. However, I know some people aren't comfortable with that. You can also give the pup Salmon Oil as a supplement. I think the one you want is Wild Alaskan but someone else will have to pitch in on that as I don't supplement with Salmon OIl.

I can't tell you what brand is best but I can tell you not to get the Bissel Powerforce Helix Turbo. In the Product Recommendation thread on this forum, we've all tackled the vacuum question a few times, so you can head there to see what people are saying works or doesn't work.

Last but not least, enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from New York!   New from New York! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Welcome! I actually like that crate and think it would work fine. It's great you're doing you're research ahead of time! Leaving you're husky for 8 hours isn't going to be an issue. I've left mine for about that long, but I did have friends let them out every few hours. You may consider hiring a dog walker or taking you're pup to doggie daycare. There are tons of options out there, so don't let you're work schedule deter you from the breed. Smile

Also, there are ton's of threads on some of the subjects you listed with lot's of good advise. Check out the forum and search around on here and I'm sure you will have answers to all you're questions. study If not, everyone is very friendly and will help you out with you're questions.

Have you picked out a breeder yet?
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from New York!   New from New York! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 pm

calliegirl08 - Thank you so much for your help. I have been looking for specifics for the first aide kit, and you reply was amazing! Thank you!

Hayden_69 - Hayden, I went and met with a breeder in January and was able to meet the huskies/parents on site. She fits pretty much every criteria on the list, and so I put down a deposit for a June pup that will be 8 weeks when I pick it up. Thanks for your response!

I have my heart set on getting a female, but when I met one of her male's I fell in love. So I am still struggling with which sex I want.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from New York!   New from New York! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Congrats and welcome! Like others have said, a quick search on the site will bring up a lot of threads on most of the topics you asked about.

We have a Midwest wire crate and haven't had any problems with it, but Bode hasn't tested it too hard! Our pup is home for around 8 hrs a day on the weekdays, has been since around three and a half months old and he's fine. You just have to get the energy out when you are home.

Good luck and can't wait to see/hear more about the pup. Is the dam pregnant yet? Or still in the planned stage?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from New York!   New from New York! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Kale and I welcome you from California! Cool lots of members here have full time jobs Smile anyone that says you can't have a specific breed because you work is hogwash Very Happy as long as there's love, consistency, and training involved, your future pup will flourish. He/she will get used to your schedule in no time! Congrats in advance!!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from New York!   New from New York! EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:03 pm

MGoBlue - Thank you so much! I believe this week is the week she will hopefully be impregnated. Days cannot go by fast enough. This five month wait is killing me!

hypers987 - Thanks for the reassurance, it is greatly appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New from New York! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New from New York!   New from New York! Empty

Back to top Go down

New from New York!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1