It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting a New Baby

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 1:35 am

We will be getting an 8 week old baby in 2 weeks. I have had a couple of dogs before, my last was a Lab/Husky mix but they were all outside dogs. We would like to finally have a house dog. My big concern is the first few nights in a new home without her momma.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to make her feel more comfortable and to keep her from crying so much? I want her to be happy and it would break my heart to hear her cry.

If you have any tips on potty training I would love to hear those as well.

Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 am

Ask the breeder for a towel or blanket or the like that has been in with her and her litter to take with you when you bring her home. Then put the towel or blanket in with her when she sleeps. The smell will be comforting. Some people also use a ticking clock. Its said the sound reminds them of their mother's heartbeat.

As for the potty training, there are lots of great threads on here so search potty training and read through those. And the most important part is to be really consistent.

Hope that helps and congrats on the new addition.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 pm

Thank you for the advice. I got an email with an updated picture, not sure which girl we will pick yet. Going to meet them both in 2 weeks. We are so excited.

[img]Getting a New Baby 69506_10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Oh god so cute!!
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 am

I know, I don't know how we are ever going to pick. I wish we could have them both. One one on the left has blue eyes and the one on the right has one blue & one brown eye. I'm pulling for the bi-eyed puppy but I already told my daughter (8 yrs old) she could pick. She said she isn't sure yet, she wants to wait and see which puppy likes her best. Smile
Back to top Go down
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:23 am

Kelli0713 wrote:
I know, I don't know how we are ever going to pick. I wish we could have them both. One one on the left has blue eyes and the one on the right has one blue & one brown eye. I'm pulling for the bi-eyed puppy but I already told my daughter (8 yrs old) she could pick. She said she isn't sure yet, she wants to wait and see which puppy likes her best. Smile

You can send the one you don't pick to me! I love you
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:45 am

@Merch Wish I could, but she's sold. Smile We get first pick, the other family is waiting to see who we pick so they know which one they will get. How do you just pick a pup from a picture? We have to meet the girls first, then we will know.

Last edited by Kelli0713 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:51 am

oh so cute! and such a hard choice, i love the left ones coat colors and pattern, however im a sucker for bi-eyed huskies. good luck on your choice... i'd have to draw straws hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 am

I know what you mean, there is no way we can pick a puppy just by looking at pictures. I don't think the other lady (who gets the puppy we don't take) is very happy with us but we have to meet them first. The breeder is a friend of the family and she doesn't mind the wait at all, it was actually her idea. The next 2 weeks are going to go by so slow. My daughter has picked a name, as of right now it will be Nishka.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 11:45 am

Love the girl on the right Smile spend the next 2 weeks reading as much as you can on here so u will be somewhat ready! Can't wait to see who u pick

Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 5:40 pm

My tip for potty training is if she has an accident on the floor, don't yell at her and press her face in it. This technique doesn't do anything but make the puppy afraid of you and puppies have very little control of their bladder. The older they get, the more control they'll have over their bladders and they slowly learn how to tell you they have to go out.
Back to top Go down
makav3li
Newborn
Newborn

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Kelli0713 wrote:
@Merch Wish I could, but she's sold. Smile We get first pick, the other family is waiting to see who we pick so they know which one they will get. They keep asking me and I don't have an answer. I mean how do you just pick a pup from a picture? We have to meet the girls first, then we will know.

ask that family which one they want then take it lol j/k. they both are cute but i lean towards the right one because she reminds me of juggernaut (my pup)
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for the info. We are very excited. Hoping the next 2 weeks go by fast.

I have been reading as much as possible. The potty training thing is what's hard for me. I have had a couple of dogs growing up but none were inside dogs. I have read different things, some say that I need to take her our every hour, some every 2 hours and some every 3 hours. What about at night, one place says every 2 hours and another says only once during the night.

She will be 8 weeks when we get her, can you give me some ideas of a time frame that worked for you all?

THANK YOU! Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:49 am

I did not start with puppies but I have been on here long enough to know some things about them! I know there is a math for how old they are and how long they can hold it but I forget what it is, I just know most start with every hr. Through the night, some will hold it longer others will not. Once you know then you time it around that. Also a crate will be your best friend and its best to start that training right away! Also they don't need a ton of walks right away, i m sure its 15min per month of age to walk, but getting them used to a collar and leash is good, mental work is just as important as physical work.

Newborn
Newborn

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 am

Kelli0713 wrote:
Thanks for the info. We are very excited. Hoping the next 2 weeks go by fast.

I have been reading as much as possible. The potty training thing is what's hard for me. I have had a couple of dogs growing up but none were inside dogs. I have read different things, some say that I need to take her our every hour, some every 2 hours and some every 3 hours. What about at night, one place says every 2 hours and another says only once during the night.

She will be 8 weeks when we get her, can you give me some ideas of a time frame that worked for you all?

THANK YOU! Smile

we owned our pup for about a week now, so far we had only a few accidents which were my fault. i take him every 2-3 hours. i try to keep him away from water two hours before i sleep and i try to take him late as possible so he can sleep til morning. we started giving him treats for his potty and now he is expecting it every time lol. he would go number 1 then come back to us for a treat. then he would go back and do the other number then come back for more treats. good thing is its been number 1 in the accidents. the treat we give him only has half a calorie so its no biggie. we give him one for number 1 and two for number 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Getting a New Baby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting a New Baby   Getting a New Baby Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting a New Baby

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1