It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Important training commands?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Important training commands? Empty
PostSubject: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 am

Any additions to this list of commands we have taught nova that we are missing? Just looking for non vanity commands that would be useful for every day directions.

Here is what he knows so far:

Sit
Down
Come (hes getting better but hey, it's a Husky ;D (aka I'll come, gimme 5-10 seconds,if im not tired, waiting for food, don't feel like it, or the famous "no, you come to me" look)
Let's Go (to keep walking outside from distractions)
Stop!(Dropping bad items, biting, pretty much anything undesired, we use it universally at the moment and it works well)
Speak
Stay
Up
Stand
Paw
Kisses
Look (At us)
Bow (Vanity but included)
Go/OK(Release command, i use go, monique uses OK, he understands both)

Can you guys think of any commands that might be useful in every day that we might of missed?

ALSO, we are trying to think of some show off commands, and i had a question with Pretty, or standing on hind legs ,haunches, when is to early if ever to try and teach this, i dont want to try and teach something to early that might put to much pressure on back legs.

Lemme know Wink Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 am

Hmmm.. That's a pretty good list, maybe add hand targeting/"touch"? That's all I can think of Smile
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm

I like back up a lot. Helps if Keeonah is crowding the door waiting to go outside, or if she is too close while I'm getting her food ready. takes 2 to three steps, or a baby hop backward.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 pm

That's a good list! Congrats on all the training.

I find 'wait' to be a useful command as it will work in those situations where you haven't got a good enough 'come' yet e.g. because there is a squirrel to be chased. It can give you time to catch up and is easier for the dog than stop or come in those circumstances (Of course you can build up to a fantastic recall but as you say, it takes a little while with a husky!).
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Sneaky puppy (a friend taught her pit this and then Mya in Snow Dogs did it too. Puppy on tummy, crawls to you while you say sneaky puppy.)

Roll over (I didn't see that on the list.)

I would think the more difficult/fancy tricks should wait til over a year of age just because of the joints.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 8:06 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:

I would think the more difficult/fancy tricks should wait til over a year of age just because of the joints.

Yeah, I didn't teach Keeonah to do jumping jacks until she was a year old for this exact reason Razz
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Yeah thats what i thought about the year mark or so, thanks for the info Wink
Back to top Go down
dieseldude
Newborn
Newborn
dieseldude

Male Join date : 2013-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 4:47 pm

I am teaching my sib gentle and it's awesome. Especially when he's taking food from someone else.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 8:54 pm

The one I've found the most helpful so far has been "leave it", especially when she see's our cat (I swear she was trying to kill her when we first brought her home No ) Not only does she leave just the cat alone but..when we are outside it works very well when I don't want her to pick up/eat something bad and definitely useful when you are on walks, runs etc and see small animals! I want to be able to roller blade with her and don't want her dragging me on my butt to chase a squirrel lolol!
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Ive taught Loki "side" so he will lay down on his his side it helps with cleaning the mud off his paws when it is raining, grooming, and just checking his paws out when we go walking in the woods

Last edited by eander83 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing my spelling typing on a phone sucks)
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

"Leave it" is a good one. I don't think he knows that one 100%. I just say "leave it" when we walk outside and we pass say a juice box.
"Side" - that's a good one it would help with play dead too.
Back to top Go down
Ryan-5555
Newborn
Newborn
Ryan-5555

Male Join date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 pm

What age is your pup thats a good list. my pup is 11 weeks and he does
sit
paw
other paw
lie down
stay
currently tryin to teach him "ta ta" lol as in let go of what he has in his mouth
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Oh, "enough!" is a good one. I use it when she's talking or whining, usually in her crate, and I'm over the noise. It didn't take much teaching, it's all in the voice (angry mommy voice). I could probably say banana the same way and she'd shut it. She'll test me sometimes and make quiet "woowoo"s and I'll just go "Uh-Uh." And she gets the point lol.
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 am

I'm trying to teach him different emotions like Shy - sad - happy - .. its a work in progress.

Will has better luck with starting a new command. I did get "bow" started but that's it. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important training commands?   Important training commands? Empty

Back to top Go down

Important training commands?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1