It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Roller blading...harness and leash?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Roller blading...harness and leash? Empty
PostSubject: Roller blading...harness and leash?   Roller blading...harness and leash? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 pm

I was trying to think of the best way to exercise Karli as she gets older. I'm not a runner (according to my hubby I run like an ostriach and according to my dad I'm what runners call a clysdale(sp)) which is why I do P90X for workouts. Anyways, I loved roller blading as a kid and biking. Could I use the same setup to bike with Karli as I would roller blading? And do I need anything special for biking with her (like attaching something to my bike)? She loves to pull, she's a natural at that, so I think giving her something to pull when she gets older would really help her. I think til she's old enough we can just do a small weighted pack (five pounds at most) and walk, would anyone be able to recommend any of those? There are so many options out and I've been watching the other threads about it but its so hard to make up my mind! I know I do want a waist leash so that will be my first purchase. I'm just not sure if that would work with a bike or not (thinking clumsy my falling over lol).
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Roller blading...harness and leash?   Roller blading...harness and leash? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 pm

As far as biking goes, most people use something like one of these:

Walky Dog
Bike Springer

(I wouldn't order from either of those sites, definitely shop around if you deicide to go with one of those.) They're essentially the same thing, but people have their favorites.

Some people also use this for bikejoring. You'd also need this if you go that route.

You don't need anything that complicated for rollerjoring. I would just use a musher's belt with something like the canicross line or jogger's line on this this page.

I linked Alpine Outfitters, but Nordkyn Outfitters has lots of options and so does Adanac.

As far as a pack goes, I wouldn't invest in anything too expensive until she gets larger. I also wouldn't put much of anything in her pack until she's closer to a year. I might be wrong, but I think that would be bad for their growth like jogging can be. But if you wanted to get her used to a pack, there are relatively inexpensive ones at Petsmart and Petco that could let her get used to the pack.
I just bought one from REI for Pippa. I ended up getting a medium because the small pack looked too small, but on the medium, the belly strap is still loose even at its tightest. I don't think the small would have worked as well, but the medium definitely would have been too big on her a few months ago.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Roller blading...harness and leash?   Roller blading...harness and leash? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Katie's suggestions are sound, Especially the fact she provided links. Very useful.

Quote :
You don't need anything that complicated for rollerjoring. I would just use a musher's belt with something like the canicross line or jogger's line on this this page.

I linked Alpine Outfitters, but Nordkyn Outfitters has lots of options and so does Adanac.

Personal Preference here, but I don't belt when I'm Rollerjoring. I can see how useful they are while running or Skijoring but I don't like the sensation on blades. Your center of gravity is your Butt while blading and I don't like anything screwing with it.

The same can be said about Skijoring, but when you fall on Skis normally it's not like falling on pavement. I don't screw with my balance on blades.

If we aren't talking pulling I think a belt would be perfect however Wink

I'm also not a fan of bungee type shock absorbing leashes that tend to come with these "Omnijoring systems". My reason being where you have to blade.. Either you're doing it on a street where cars are a problem, or you're doing it on a bike path, where bikers are a problem. Being able to skate up, in front, beside, or lift my girls off the ground by the leash in an emergency is important to me. I want tension for safety.

Any solid made harness of Custom made Cross or X harness will work fine. Just make sure the ring is somewhere around mid to aft body or at least behind the front shoulders of the pup. I also prefer leg loops over just neck harnesses as it gives more support when pulling.

Ideally you want to start pack walking at about a year.

Starting with about 10% of body weight. You can very slowly increase it to about 25% safely over a long period of time.

You get your moneys worth with Ruffwear, though I personally use Canine Equipment packs, for the simple fact that they were / are easily available to me, easy to clean, functional, well made, and made in Canada (Not needed but a nice bonus Wink ).

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Roller blading...harness and leash?   Roller blading...harness and leash? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Definitely refer to Chris' suggestions as far as rollerjoring goes! I have zero experience with it myself, just going off what I've heard from others.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Roller blading...harness and leash?   Roller blading...harness and leash? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks guys that's what I needed to know! I want to get her a harness to start walking with and she's a very good puller (she doesn't yank my arm out or anything but she lets me know she's on the end of the leash) and I didn't want to buy an easy walk harness to only use it right now. I wanted something that we could use once she was older to start doing all this other fun stuff. I'd have to get me some roller blades too but I have time for that. Right now we'll just look for a good harness to get her used to!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roller blading...harness and leash?   Roller blading...harness and leash? Empty

Back to top Go down

Roller blading...harness and leash?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1