It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to figure out a true siberian husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gabs1988
Newborn
Newborn

How to figure out a true siberian husky? Empty
PostSubject: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi! Im gabs. I just recently owned siberian huskies. i just wanted to ask, how can you identify if the puppy is really a pure bred siberian pup? Could you give me some info/tips i.e standards, traits to know if one is really a pure bred, fake or mixed/cross? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Do you have a picture? That might be really helpful (for us) anyway.

Unless he's been shaved (which I sincerely hope not), Huskies have a beautiful second coat that helps to give them that "wolfish" appearance.

Colors

Many people say that Huskies always have white underbellies, but I don't believe that to be true. Balto even was almost a completely solid colored, cinnamon Husky.

Typical husky colors, however, include: Black & White, Grey & White and Red & White. I believe those to be the most common. Genetics, however, also allow Huskies to be: Mostly Black, All White, Agouti (VERY rare), Wolf Grey, Silver, Sable and Black & Tan.

Coat Variations

There are few variations of the Husky coat and masks. (Masks are the white / colored areas of the face.) They include: Solid Color, Piebald, Splash Coat and Isabella Whites / Saddlebacks (refer to my icon to your left! Very Happy)

Eyes

Eyes can be almost any color, including: Icy Blue, Brown, Green, Light Brown or Amber. Out of those colors, Huskies have an unnaturally high tendancy to have "Bi" or "Party" eyes. "Bi" Eyes is two different colored eyes, while "Party" eyes feature (at least one) eye having two distinct different colors.

Other Stuff

The beauty of colors and features aside, though, Huskies I believe truly stand out because of their temperment and the way they communicate. Huskies are VERY fluent in "Body Language" and they talk via a [what I think is "cute"] way of whining / howling.

You can usually find a happy / healthy Sib's tail curling over his back.

Their cheeks have this "plush" fur that truly resembles a wolf's head as well. To me, that is what really hits home about the Sib's looks.

AKC Liscense

To my knowledge responsible, reputable breeders all have their dogs registered with the American Kennel Club or "AKC" for short. If your dog is pure bred, s/he will most likely come with an AKC License. If they didn't, that does not mean that a breeder didn't use two purebred Sibs, but, it is very much harder to tell.

Hope this was helpful!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 pm

LOL never heard of a "fake husky" before. As previously stated, a picture would be best. It's just an opinion, so may not be accurate. You're best bet would be to have a DNA test done.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Pictures would be beneficial. Knowing your standard as written by the SHCA (www.shca.org), also researching and finding a reputable breeder would take that question out of play when thinking of purchasing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 11:12 am

Chelsi Pretty much summed it up although with the eyes a standard almond shape is what is accepted by the AKC, but as everyone has suggested try and upload some pictures to get a better sense if the husky is in fact a pure bred. Also I have never personally used the DNA testing kits but from other peoples experiences opinions and stories they are completely reliable although I could be wrong
Back to top Go down
A.yetzon
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Is my dog a pure Husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 am

Hello, I am Joseph I adopted a beautiful white dog with blue eyes. I want to know if he is a husky or not. He doesnt have any papers.
I would appreciate your help

How to figure out a true siberian husky? 20190410
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 am

My initial reaction is that he's a mix. Head shape is narrow, ears are large and shaped different than normal and coat is much shorter than you would typically see. Age can play into that though. How old is he? To really know you will need to do a DNA test. There are pure dogs that are just out of standard sometimes and don't look pure. Embark or Wisdom Panel are the two top tests right now. Both are considered accurate.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am

Hello, he is 5 months young, but he is big!! I live in Puerto Rico so its always a warm climate, could it be the reason for the short hair? He cries like a husky and his personality is full husky i determined after an extensive youtube research lol, But I will consider the DNA test thank you so much
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 am

From your picture it does not look like he has a double coat, which is necessary for a husky. Granted, the picture isn't really clear for the rest of his structure and coat type. The climate will not determine coat to that extent. Mine actually get fluffier during the summer. The purpose of the double coat is to insulate them from the heat just as much from the cold. Huskies tend to carry the dominate traits in a mix, so the husky aspects will always be easier to see than other breeds. By big, how big? Height and weight?

Newborn
Newborn
Steven

PostSubject: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 8:46 pm

This is fluffy, I only had her three days 11 weeks old. Real or not? A pic of her parents included but the were never registered

Sent from Topic'it App
How to figure out a true siberian husky? 15702310

Last edited by Steven on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steven
Newborn
Newborn
Steven

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Her parents
How to figure out a true siberian husky? 15702311

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Looks younger than 11 weeks to me.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 10:48 pm

Spider looked like that at 5ish weeks. Spider is not pure husky but as a puppy she looked purebred. And non northern breed people think she is a pure husky. If your really lookong for answers dna test is the only option. You can only do so much with a phenotype. Puppies are always super cute
Back to top Go down
Jorge_09
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Is she a purebred? How to figure out a true siberian husky? 4b1e1710
How to figure out a true siberian husky? 45c8b910
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Based on the pictures posted I would venture that she is pure. The only way to truly know though is through a DNA test. Embark will get you some nice health info on the side of giving you breed results. Wisdom is more cost effective but less health stuff.

PostSubject: Re: How to figure out a true siberian husky?   How to figure out a true siberian husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to figure out a true siberian husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1