It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Moving to apartment or...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itiger
Newborn
Newborn

Moving to apartment or...? Empty
PostSubject: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am

HI everyone,

This is my first thread. I would like to hear your thoughts. Recently I got laid off therefore I no longer can afford the rent. I tried to search for some cheaper places but those I can afford are all apartments. Do you think my husky will be okay with that? Those places are much smaller.
Back to top Go down
Yaqui and the Sibe
Puppy
Puppy
Yaqui and the Sibe

Female Join date : 2012-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 am

Hi, welcome! I'm sorry you have lost your job!! As far as apartments go I myself live in one with Nanuq my 6 month old husky. I think you can definitely make it work, just have to go up and down the stairs a lot more! lol I take mine to the dog park at least every other day, since the weather is nice right now. Others on here live in apartments and I'm sure they will give more input. Good luck!

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

Yup, Yuki lives in an apartment. Shes currently 8 months old and she does fine in it. She gets two walks a day and once shes old enough we will go biking as well, and she gets trips to the dog park 2-3 times a week. Lately it hasn't been very often due to the horrid weather though.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:34 am

As long as you keep you're Husky exercised than I don't foresee there being a problem. I think you will have more of a problem finding an apartment that will allow Huskies in the building as most are on the restricted breed list.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 am

Hayden_69 wrote:
As long as you keep you're Husky exercised than I don't foresee there being a problem. I think you will have more of a problem finding an apartment that will allow Huskies in the building as most are on the restricted breed list.

I second this. Space doesnt usually create an issue. I have two huskies in a single wide trailer. They are crated quite a bit while i'm at work but they get walks every day and i make sure they get some play time to expend their energy. In the future I deffinitely look forward to more space but we do fine now.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Pippa spends time both at my parent's house and at my apartment. There is really zero difference in her energy level from place to place and I prefer being at the apartment because there's less space for her to wander and less for her to try and get in to.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 pm

I live in a one bedroom apartment and I have both my girls and I used to have a 50 pound Standard Poodle. We go on three walks a day. My dogs don't mind apartment living and I don't mind it either Smile. It makes you ACTUALLY exercise your dog and spend more time with them Smile .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Had 3 cats and my sibe in an apartment. Just make sure they get plenty of exercise and they will be happy!!! Only problem I ever encountered was getting in to an apt. with the breed. Most places wont allow sibes, akita, mals etc. good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi welcome to forums! Sorry to hear about the job loss - hope you find one soon.

We live in an apartment with Nova (5 month old husky). I guess we are lucky because the only breed restrictions were aggressive dogs. (There is at least 1 Great Dane here too) As mentioned as long as you can do exercise it should be okay.
Back to top Go down
itiger
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 1:01 am

Smile great. thank you all!
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 1:07 am

Another apartment renter checking in. Smile

I can second what's been said. Finding another place that allows huskies will be the difficult part. I could only find two when I was searching, and luckily I found one that's extremely dog friendly. They even put in a small dog park of their own.

Also along with what everyone else said, as long as you exercise your pup regularly there won't be any problems. People always ask me "How can you keep two huskies in an apartment? They need a house with a backyard!" I always get into an argument about how a backyard is not proper exercise, but that's a different story.

You'll be fine as long as you find somewhere that's husky-friendly. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 pm

I live in an apartment with my 1 year old husky and he's happy ,we walk him 3 times a day and dog park a few times a week. I lucked out in my landlord not caring what breed it was! I agree with everyone that as long as you exercise them you are golden. My friends have a dog and they don' t walk her often, they have a backyard and I feel like some times its a trap that people fall into. They lost her leash for a month or so because they never really use it.

Good luck finding a job and a new place Smile
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 2:14 pm

We live in an apartment. We plan on walking him 2 hours a day (1 hour in the early morning, 1 at night.) He should do fine as long as you can get him enough exercise outside!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving to apartment or...?   Moving to apartment or...? Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving to apartment or...?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1