It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A little help with feeding puppy before work...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

Male Join date : 2013-03-26

A little help with feeding puppy before work... Empty
PostSubject: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Kenny and this is my first post in this forum. I am a PROUD new, first time dog/Siberian Husky owner. I have always wanted one and have researched them for quite a while... last week I decided to pull the trigger after finding this beautiful animal... "Fenrisulfr "Fen" Rowell". We have since made a SUPER strong bond, and I couldnt have asked for a more pefectly matched dog Smile He's 9 weeks old now, and seems to be growing SUPER fast lol. I have read that they are hyper, but this little guy is really relaxed (more so than ANY other dog I have socialized him with lately). He is ALMOST potty trained (went the kennel training route) and catches on very quickly. My question is how do you all recomend feeding him before I leave for work in the a.m.? Today is his first day that he will remaind kenneled all day untill I get home. I know eventually he will be able to hold his bladder, and then will be able to run around all day in his own room (empty, with hard wood floors lol). I am currently waking up early to take him out, feeding him, showering, then taking him out one more time before I leave. I put a little more food and water in his kennel but he just eats it all up right away. I am sure I will find a mess in there when I get home and I cant really blame him. What do you all suggest I do until he can be trusted outside the kennel? Any help/advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Kenny

P.s. What about sleeping in my bed? Ive read about being the alpha, and we have established that as much as can be expected in the time we have spent... he seems to be totally ok with it, and I am very strict with all of the other other guidelines such as walking through doors first, eye contact, me eating first etc etc... do you think its ok to let him in the bed? Any negative effects of doing so? Again, thanks.

Fenrisulfr "Fen" Rowell - born 1/21/13

A little help with feeding puppy before work... Photobucket-49491-1364316688700_zps3a3ed812
A little help with feeding puppy before work... Photobucket-54868-1364316687783_zpsab140d2b
A little help with feeding puppy before work... Photobucket-57633-1364316685993_zps9d456fdb
A little help with feeding puppy before work... Photobucket-41852-1364316686856_zpsdd7ee2a1
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Congrats on your handsome little furbaby! I am not sure I can help with the feeding part as I work from home and don't cross that path, however.. I can give you my input on sleeping in your bed...The first night I had Selena home (@ 9 weeks) she was awful in her crate and I myself don't believe in crating dogs and I know a lot of people will disagree with me about it and that's totally okay but I feel it was the best thing I ever did, letting her sleep with me the second night. She has NEVER had an accident in my bed/during the night. She wakes me up and cries in my face to tell me she needs to go out even to this day but obviously a lot less frequently. Therefore, my 9 week old pup was holding her bladder for hours on end (she must know better not to pee in mama's bed Wink ) and might I ad she was fully potty trained by 4 months with free roam of the house Smile
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Cute pup Wink and welcome to the forum.

Generally most dogs fall into routine very well. They adapt to the way you lead your life as long as their needs are met.

Your current schedule should work fine as long as you stick to it.

Ours is about the same before work.

We wake up at 6:00am, get their packs on and go for a 30 - 40 minute walk. They tend to eliminate on the walk or right after.

Once home they go out into the back yard to allow them to decompress from the structure walk and a chance to eliminate another time.

They come back in to eat while Kelly and I prepare for work. Once done they again go back out for one last chance to eliminate right before we leave.

We pick up the water, and make sure the toilet bowl is closed and let them back in. A little socialization and a tiny bit of play and then we toss them a couple of treats before we leave and just go.

Quote :
I am sure I will find a mess in there when I get home and I cant really blame him. What do you all suggest I do until he can be trusted outside the kennel? Any help/advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

There are services you can look into to avoid this and help prolonging the chance of accidents in a crate or kennel.

Dog walkers will come to your house and let out your pup. A baby sitter can also be hired to come over once a day to let the pup pee.

Later on and after you've gotten shots and all you can even look into doggy daycare.

If it can be avoided it is best as it helps in the process. After all no one likes sitting in their own filth and it can be stressful on them to do so, so if the kennel is small enough that that is likely to happen you might want to explore some options.

Something can be said of a pup trying to "hold it" too long as well as it can sometimes lead to UTIs. Just something to keep in mind.

The rule of thumb is pretty much a pup can hold their bladder One hour/month old your pup is.

Quote :
P.s. What about sleeping in my bed? Ive read about being the alpha, and we have established that as much as can be expected in the time we have spent... he seems to be totally ok with it, and I am very strict with all of the other other guidelines such as walking through doors first, eye contact, me eating first etc etc... do you think its ok to let him in the bed? Any negative effects of doing so? Again, thanks.

The "Alpha" theory is old and dated and I personally find it useless. The so called "Alpha" in my house is a cat.

My dogs walk through dogs before me all the time, I need to close the door behind me after all. I Eat at the same time as my dogs, or they eat before me all the time.... It all depends when supper is ready for me versus if it is 7:30pm yet as the girls get fed at 7:30.

They listen to me very well. Sure they act out from time to time or are mischievous, but I expect as much from a thinking being.

All you need to have a well behaved dog is mutual respect, understanding, and patience to train correctly. All they want is to be part of a someone's life. The more time you put in connecting and training the more your bond will grow, and mutual respect will form. At this point you won't need to be Alpha, friendship alone will be enough.

So if you want your pup up on your bed, sofa, or anything else it won't change a thing. You might want to train and set up rules about how and why your pup is allowed on these objects and nothing is wrong with that.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the ride Wink
~Chris~

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 pm

+1 for sleeping in bed. I think it is one of the best aspects of being a pet parent. Snuggle time is unmatched!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

PostSubject: Re: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Hey thanks for the replies! Good info here...

I only crated him after two nights of pooing in the bed lol. I started to crate him and spent a 4 day weekend watching his every move and potty training him. Yesterday he stopped in the middle of playing and ran outside to #1 & 2, then ran back in to play again!! I was SO proud... Last night I decided to let him try again... and woke up this morning poo free, with a little happy furry puppy next to me whom of which was ready to go out side Smile

And Chris Im with you to an extent. We have/will have a very close realtionship being that I am newly single and he gets every bit of my spare time. He doesnt go to anyone, and seems to not care when others call him. He stays wrapped around me, and I like that Smile While I will continue followiing the "alpha policy"... I dont think letting him sleep in the bed with me would hurt anything. He knows Im the boss, and that I am his protector. Ugh... I cant wait to get home... today is the first day I have to leave him Sad I miss my son lol.
Back to top Go down
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

PostSubject: Re: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 am

So I walked in yesterday expecting to see/smell quite the mess, but wouldnt you know that little Fen and his 9 week old self did not use the bathroom in his kennel! He's such a good boy! I walked in and he went crazy... so happy to see me Smile I opened his cage and he went straight for the door! For only a week spent together to train, he sure is making very good progress.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

mine did the same thing! was very easy to train her. Now that she is older....... we came across different problems I can't seem to brake her. I am sure after enough time she will get it but right now not so much lol Wish you the best of luck with the rest of the training! wave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little help with feeding puppy before work...   A little help with feeding puppy before work... Empty

Back to top Go down

A little help with feeding puppy before work...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1