It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) Empty
PostSubject: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Ok...I exaggerate! Kristina says he's the same height as Mickey! Smile Chili says...Mom, I'm not fat - I'm just fluffy!

I wanted to make sure what Chili is since he was a stray and with his recent medical scares, I wanted to be 100% prepared for whatever other genetic issues come up (Apparently they're born with the parathyroid issues, but it's not common in huskies). After the Wisdom Pro blood panel, it's confirmed that Chili is just 100% a giant puppy mill husky! LOL Smile We love our big guy!

Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) Chili_10
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Lol, he is HUGE. If I didn't know any better, I would probably think he's was a malamute that somehow grew a red coat. It's interesting to see that he's all husky despite his size. I'm sorry to hear about his medical issues, it's one of the curses of puppy mills.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Thank you! Yes, I curse all puppy mills! The local rescues here have their hands full with genetic issues like no kneecaps, hip issues, rampant eye issues, etc. Paws crossed no more for our guy! Smile

Actually, there are mals with his exact same coat color and pattern! Smile Mals come in all colors, too!
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 pm

I didn't know they came in red, or multiple colors like a husky. Neat. I don't have much experience with Mals. I only remember that they have exclusively brown eyes, a bulkier look to them when compared huskies, and a calmer disposition.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 pm

It is good to know what he is.. Everytime I see pictures of him I think he is a great looking dog I would gladly take one like him in heart beat. I love your chili.. He would fit in with my two with the exception he is a bit larger than they are.

Best of luck with his health issues in the future.

Back to top Go down
HermesHaven
Newborn
Newborn
HermesHaven

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Aww he's so adorable he looks a lot like my boy. How much does he weigh?
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks, guys! Smile He awesome and is my big husky bunny! Smile Your reds are mighty good lookin', too! Smile

Crystal, he fluctuates between 73 and 77-ish, he's been up to 79 and was down to 64 when he was sick. He lost muscle mass due to major prednisone doses, was super skinny and couldn't even hop into the car anymore. His face was so gaunt! 75 is about right where he should be, he's a tall boy (husky tall, not mal tall... LOL). He's just starting to get back to 100% the past few weeks and showed some spunk for Kristina's visit! Smile I forgot he's a husky! LOL

He does remind me of your boy! Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am

I don't think Chili is that big...only because Storm is just about the size of Chili! I guess I'm just used to Storm's size. However, when Ginger stands right next to Storm, then I realize the size difference and say to myself, 'Ginger is so petite!' or 'Whoa. Is Storm really that big?' Razz

Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 am

That's really interesting to know! He is adorable (and still would be even if he had had some mal after all). I really hope he doesn't have any more health issues - paws crossed. It sounds like he is a good weight right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am

I knew this was regarding Chili by just reading the title! Razz He may be huge but he's still one of my favorite reds.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:06 am

I think Loki might give Chili a run for his money. He just broke into 70 lbs. Hate puppy mills move after learning about how blind my almost 3 year old schnauzer is.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:25 am

It's not only puppy mills but also unethical breeders. Wonder how they get their license!! I got my Titus from a retired breeder that abused him because he was the run of the litter and no one wants to buy him. And because he is retired (the same excuse he gave me over and over) he didn't bother registering the litter. So what did he do was to show buyers the papers of the parents to prove that the pups are pure bred. Long story short, I knew about him and I knew he was mentally abusing the poor pup and the pup is already 5 1/2 months old. I paid him for the pup. Turns out the pup is not the run of the litter. Titus stands at 25.5" shoulder height and weighs 72.5lbs now, used to be 77lbs. I was afraid that he might be a malamute mix considering how unethical the breeder was. If that's the case, he might have different health concerns. Did the test and he turned out to be a full husky.
But I don't think he is big cuz he always stands besides my mal puppy which is taller and heavier than him. Razz
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 am

cmanding wrote:
I don't think Chili is that big...only because Storm is just about the size of Chili! I guess I'm just used to Storm's size. However, when Ginger stands right next to Storm, then I realize the size difference and say to myself, 'Ginger is so petite!' or 'Whoa. Is Storm really that big?' Razz
Yes! He makes me think 58 lb Frosti is TINY! Then people come over and say "WHOA! You have huge dogs!" LOL

We'll start an oversize Husky Gang! The Husky Huskies! Storm and Chili are the leaders! lol!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 am

Ghost wrote:
That's really interesting to know! He is adorable (and still would be even if he had had some mal after all). I really hope he doesn't have any more health issues - paws crossed. It sounds like he is a good weight right now.
Awww..thank you, he says! Smile He's doing really well right now, so paws crossed! Smile He just graduated his first set of reading with dogs kids! Smile

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
I knew this was regarding Chili by just reading the title! Razz He may be huge but he's still one of my favorite reds.
lol! Looks like the "Husky Huskies" club is gaining in members! Storm and Chili used to be the only huge ones, but the young 'uns are takin' over!

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
I think Loki might give Chili a run for his money. He just broke into 70 lbs. Hate puppy mills move after learning about how blind my almost 3 year old schnauzer is.
Welcome to the big husky club! Smile Sorry to hear about your schnauzer. Sad

Titus&Lycan wrote:
It's not only puppy mills but also unethical breeders. Wonder how they get their license!! I got my Titus from a retired breeder that abused him because he was the run of the litter and no one wants to buy him. And because he is retired (the same excuse he gave me over and over) he didn't bother registering the litter. So what did he do was to show buyers the papers of the parents to prove that the pups are pure bred. Long story short, I knew about him and I knew he was mentally abusing the poor pup and the pup is already 5 1/2 months old. I paid him for the pup. Turns out the pup is not the run of the litter. Titus stands at 25.5" shoulder height and weighs 72.5lbs now, used to be 77lbs. I was afraid that he might be a malamute mix considering how unethical the breeder was. If that's the case, he might have different health concerns. Did the test and he turned out to be a full husky.
But I don't think he is big cuz he always stands besides my mal puppy which is taller and heavier than him. Razz
I'm glad he's safe with you, now! So much more reason to research and find ethical breeders!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 am

Husky Huskies = love it!

Yep, I look back at Storm's pictures in the first month we adopted him, and I cannot believe he was 112-115lbs when we adopted him!! He was very 'tubby' and 'round' and 'rolly-polly'!!!

Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 am

Sam, sometimes they are just genetic freaks! lol.
My family Airdale (from a decent breeder) was supposed to be 60-65 pounds. That was his Dad's size and his mom was about 55.

Duffy peaked at 90 pounds, and he was in no way fat. It was muscle.

I think Ripley is joining the Husky Huskies club at 57 pounds.....poor Sausage, but with summer comes more exercise, hopefully she can lose the winter weight! Razz

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am

Kelly!
We're more active in the winter than summer!
The heat just gets to me and Storm and we become lethargic!
Razz

Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am

Vixen has made it her life's goal to outweigh him she says. Of course she will probably only come up to his knees it seems, as she appears to only be growing "out" these days...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 pm

trying to remember our bet, did i say he was gonna be 100% husky......

glad you have all his info now! hope he stays feeling better

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:14 pm

does anyone have a link to where you find out if your baby is pure or not?? not that i care Nikita is my sweetheart regardless :-) when we rescued her the guy said she was all husky but as you said some folks are deceiptful...lol
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Quote :

We'll start an oversize Husky Gang! The Husky Huskies! Storm and Chili are the leaders! lol!

Lol can I join? Lycus is a 70+ lbs as well!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Paw Paw gets mistaken for a Mal all of the time. He's slightly larger than the max end of the Sibe standard at 25" and 62lbs, and he was supposedly the runt of his litter. Thanks to all of his bikejoring/sled dog training and exercise, he's pure muscle as you can tell from his pics. I've met a lot of huskies in my day, and I have yet to meet a healthy husky that's bigger than Paw Paw. The only ones that were bigger than him were fat dogs due to lack of exercise, either because they were too old or had irresponsible dog owners who let them get fat. Most huskies I see look tiny compared to Paw Paw, and I don't want him to be any larger than the breed standard. I've even met some Mals that were smaller than him, which shocked me. Now I understand why people think he's a Mal and not a Sibe. I try to explain to them the differences, and how mainly the blue eyes give it away, although I've heard that some Mals can have blue eyes; I've just never seen it and it's supposedly super rare.

There's this mindset that the bigger your dog, the better, and it's become common for people to insult a dog for being "small." I get this all of the time with Nara, our GSD. She's West German bloodlines (which are usually smaller, yet stockier/more muscular than American bloodlines), and she's actually large for a female at 25.5" and 78 lbs, but because so many Americans are used to terrible breeding and abnormal, oversized GIANT Shepherds, they will try to tell me that my girl must be a mutt because she's too small to be a real GSD. Drives me crazy!

So for Paw Paw and Nara, I let everyone know that they are actually too big for their breed standard, and that they should be slightly smaller. I don't buy into the bigger is better, especially when I researched the larger breeds' average lifespans. I'd much rather have a dog within the standards that lives 12-14 years than have an oversized dog that is only with me for 8 years. Twice the years means twice the love, and that's more important to me than owning an oversized dog!

So a Husky Husky he is!

Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) 104-2

Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) 105

Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) IMG_3565
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Kodiak can join the husky Huskies too. He is almost 9 months and is about 72 lbs. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)   Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;) Empty

Back to top Go down

Guess who is 100% husky despite being HUGE!? ;)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1