It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Prejudice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

See, now if only they were in a steel cage!

Just look at Shadow the HOTM. He's probably saying "hey buddy, wanna play? I do, I do, I do....."
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Korra and Link were in my backyard playing and one of Link's best buds, Oozie a Labradoodle, came out to use the yard and when he tried to play his human said: "okay Oozie, not today they are playing too rough. Oozie come on, come on, come on Oozie, Oozie come...........................Oozie.......come........." Smile

Oozie wanted some but his human was horrified. Oozie is super hyperactive and very dominant with Link even. He checks Link very well and they have a good time. But Link and Korra were too much for the human to stomach.

They will lead each other around by the lip, scruff, skin......with constant chimpanzee sounds and then they are drinking water from the same bowl together and sharing treats.

The funniest thing about this is that the roughest players we get at bowwow are doodles. I could name 10 doodles that play like huskies without even really giving it thought.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Those of you who have had problems should have reported these people or unruly dogs to those who manage the parks. With our park, anytime we have a dog that the owner is either unable or unwilling to control or if the owner is a problem, someone or multiple people report them. Several dogs and people have been banned from the park because of this. I pay good money to be a member and would have no problem reporting anyone who causes problem with my dogs or me.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 pm

We call husky play the "bitey-bitey face game" and it's not just Huskies, but I would say all artics that like it - our Mal and Husky both play it and it is quite confronting for people not used to it.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Huskydad wrote:
Those of you who have had problems should have reported these people or unruly dogs to those who manage the parks. With our park, anytime we have a dog that the owner is either unable or unwilling to control or if the owner is a problem, someone or multiple people report them. Several dogs and people have been banned from the park because of this. I pay good money to be a member and would have no problem reporting anyone who causes problem with my dogs or me.

I know that in Washington most the parks are managed by small groups of dog loving volunteers. They are free and require no memberships or dues to use, with the exception of one or two. Ive always assumed majority of dog parks were more like our fairly self-monitoring system. Is this not true?

I know for us there really isnt anything you can do but report to Animal Control, which really only ever leads to a park closure
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 9:09 pm

I love you're Shepherd!! Makes me want one more and more every time you post pictures!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 pm

K9_Eric wrote:

The funniest thing about this is that the roughest players we get at bowwow are doodles. I could name 10 doodles that play like huskies without even really giving it thought.

I'm starting to see this for sure Eric. Oozie is really hyper and very mouthy like a Husky, and he has the craziest vertical leap I have ever seen in a dog aside from herding dogs. He can jump vertically about 5 feet and do a complete 360. It's awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 pm

My sister and i would like to try a dog park but were leery because of the other people. We know our dogs play rough being huskies and a pit mix that plays just like my two and we have had one or two incidents but we are sure to yell to try distracting and we have no problem grabbing the dogs to seperate them for a couple minutes we're just afraid some one else wont do what we are willing to and we dont want any problems. Especially because we can be rough with our dogs we dont mess around and have no problem grabbing scruffs to seperate them and i know a lot of people have a problem with that. But really the way they rip at one anothers necks i dont think it bothers them and they know they need to calm down. Plus we arent 100% sure about our dogs getting along well enough with others for a park.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 am

Hayden_69 wrote:
I love you're Shepherd!! Makes me want one more and more every time you post pictures!

Thank you.

Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 069-7

Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 IMG_0004

Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 006-14
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:59 am

My dog park is a free charge, no membership either. I wish it was a membership only though. I feel like if you have to pay for a membership, that is probably a good way to weed out those who just take their dogs to the park because they are too lazy to do anything else.

The parks in Omaha are run by volunteers but they have a very informative website and facebook page, so I guess it evens it out.

I have no idea about the Lincoln park..maybe I should figure that out?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Bella_Jasper wrote:
My sister and i would like to try a dog park but were leery because of the other people. We know our dogs play rough being huskies and a pit mix that plays just like my two and we have had one or two incidents but we are sure to yell to try distracting and we have no problem grabbing the dogs to seperate them for a couple minutes we're just afraid some one else wont do what we are willing to and we dont want any problems. Especially because we can be rough with our dogs we dont mess around and have no problem grabbing scruffs to seperate them and i know a lot of people have a problem with that. But really the way they rip at one anothers necks i dont think it bothers them and they know they need to calm down. Plus we arent 100% sure about our dogs getting along well enough with others for a park.

Don't forget, though, that dog parks aren't for everybody. There are certain dogs that can thrive around others, and some that would rather go for a hike or jog instead of free play with strange dogs. Smile It's just like us humans - some of us LOVE to be around other people, some just detest it... It's one of those "To Each Their Own" kind of things...
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Also, if you want to see huskies play, GoneToTheSnowDogs uploaded a live video and at 9 mins, Shelby and Oakley started playing husky-style. Smile

https://youtu.be/BBycYVWlSI8?t=9m
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:07 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Also, if you want to see huskies play, GoneToTheSnowDogs uploaded a live video and at 9 mins, Shelby and Oakley started playing husky-style. Smile

https://youtu.be/BBycYVWlSI8?t=9m

I love that channel! Im subscribed and love watching shelby and oakley. Fan friday offers some really helpful information, learned many things through this website and that channel
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 pm

A man shot a dog at our local dog park because it got in a fight with his dog. We have free and pay dog parks here. Lola is just too rough that I won't chance it. She wasn't socialized as a pup and has already been banned from daycare.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 pm

bellecma wrote:
A man shot a dog at our local dog park because it got in a fight with his dog. We have free and pay dog parks here. Lola is just too rough that I won't chance it. She wasn't socialized as a pup and has already been banned from daycare.

That happened to a Husky in one of the parks not to far from where we live about 2 years ago. Off duty cop brought in his GSD, the Husky started playing with the GSD and the cop freaked out that his dog was being attacked and opened fire. He wound up being convicted of discharging a weapon in public and animal cruelty. I worry about stuff like that happening again.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:44 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
bellecma wrote:

That happened to a Husky in one of the parks not to far from where we live about 2 years ago. Off duty cop brought in his GSD, the Husky started playing with the GSD and the cop freaked out that his dog was being attacked and opened fire. He wound up being convicted of discharging a weapon in public and animal cruelty. I worry about stuff like that happening again.

Oh my gosh!! That is so insane!!! And scary! If I remember correctly, I think I heard about the cop shooting the husky. How can a person ever think that is a good idea?? Or a decent thing to do??
Back to top Go down
karmaann
Newborn
Newborn
karmaann

Female Join date : 2013-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm

That's terrible about the shooting bellecma. I met Addy at a dog park to make sure that her and my older girls got along. She was awesome at the park. But when she is at home, she definitely plays loudly. If you don't know dog's posturing it could be unnerving, but I can tell it's play. My older girl Brendol is a pitt mix and she is friendly but as she's gotten older she's grumbly with other dogs so if I take her to park, I keep her on a retractable leash so she can venture out a little but if she doesn't play nice with another dog at meeting, I can pull her back in. She's not a fighter, just grumpy now. I thought this group would enjoy the following picture.
[img]Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 533327ED-BD25-437D-B720-950A2608190E-13204-000017AE9697304D_zps11ec2954[/img]
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm

People are idiots, and not everyone can handle the responsibility of wearing a uniform and wielding a weapon. That's not to say that all cops will do that, the vast majority wouldn't dare. But, after being active duty for the past 13 years and involved in quasi-military volunteer organizations (Civil Air Patrol), I've seen my share of people out there who are unbalanced enough to base their egos off of having a position of authority, and who wouldn't think before firing.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
People are idiots, and not everyone can handle the responsibility of wearing a uniform and wielding a weapon. That's not to say that all cops will do that, the vast majority wouldn't dare. But, after being active duty for the past 13 years and involved in quasi-military volunteer organizations (Civil Air Patrol), I've seen my share of people out there who are unbalanced enough to base their egos off of having a position of authority, and who wouldn't think before firing.

Air Force too? I work with the Civil Air Patrol, as I'm an AF Recruiter. I've had 2 enlist already. 1 just booked an EOD job today. CAP is like Boy and Girl Scouts blended with USAF on steroids. Haha. Most of the kids are nice, but are also giant nerds, and this is coming from an Eagle Scout.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 am

I'm Navy actually, but spent 3.5 years at Tinker AFB. I did CAP as a kid because Girl Scouts was lame, and thought it'd be great to get back into as an adult. With my flight experience (Aircraft commander in the Navy E-6B), I was really drawn to the availability of flight hours and I really liked the search and rescue mission, and I liked the idea of being a mentor to kids who wanted to do what I've done. I loved it at first, and then they made me a squadron commander after some nasty crap went down, and in addition to cleaning up some serious messes I had to deal with the worst kinds of parents. That and the few idiots that were on power trips, but I generally shut them down pretty quickly and put them in their place Wink I wound up getting into it really bad with a couple of parents whose kids were massively abusing their status as cadet leaders, realized that some serious stuff was being brushed under the rug and I was being thrown under the bus in a big way, and walked away. I'm now teaching at Annapolis, and I absolutely love it (probably because I don't have to deal with helicopter parents Razz ).

Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 12:34 am

Before the guy shot the dog he also tazered it and didn't give the owner a chance to get their dogs separated before he opened fire. Word on the street is the the shooter had a small dog on the big dog side too. Firing a gun in city limits is the charge. Don't think an animal cruelty charge is attached. I'm interested in how this pans out.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 am

bellecma wrote:
Before the guy shot the dog he also tazered it and didn't give the owner a chance to get their dogs separated before he opened fire. Word on the street is the the shooter had a small dog on the big dog side too. Firing a gun in city limits is the charge. Don't think an animal cruelty charge is attached. I'm interested in how this pans out.

This happened recently?!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
I'm Navy actually, but spent 3.5 years at Tinker AFB. I did CAP as a kid because Girl Scouts was lame, and thought it'd be great to get back into as an adult. With my flight experience (Aircraft commander in the Navy E-6B), I was really drawn to the availability of flight hours and I really liked the search and rescue mission, and I liked the idea of being a mentor to kids who wanted to do what I've done. I loved it at first, and then they made me a squadron commander after some nasty crap went down, and in addition to cleaning up some serious messes I had to deal with the worst kinds of parents. That and the few idiots that were on power trips, but I generally shut them down pretty quickly and put them in their place Wink I wound up getting into it really bad with a couple of parents whose kids were massively abusing their status as cadet leaders, realized that some serious stuff was being brushed under the rug and I was being thrown under the bus in a big way, and walked away. I'm now teaching at Annapolis, and I absolutely love it (probably because I don't have to deal with helicopter parents Razz ).

O ok. I think we might've talked in a different thread. I'm still new here and trying to figure out who is who. Ha! Why did you get out of the Navy after 13 years? You had 7 to go until retirement. I retire in 4. Can't wait! And yes, so far both sets of parents for the kids I recruited have been a thorn in my side. I thought there would be a benefit to CAP preparing these kids for military life, but so far it's backfired. I'd be better off dealing with non-CAP kids and parents.

SAR is awesome. I was doing it for years with my GSD. I just didn't have the time to dedicate thanks to recruiting: the worst job ever! I'll be done recruiting in 5 months. Again, can't wait! Back to aircraft maintenance I'll go, working on fighters and/or bombers. I fix ejection seats and keep them ready to save lives.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 am

We might have, I'm so busy these days I have a hard time remembering what I ate for lunch, never mind all the threads I'm trying to keep up with.

I'm actually still in, but I got permanently grounded on a medical, got a crappy eval because of it, and now will likely not screen for O-4. I have 2 more looks after this year, and when I don't make it in that 2015 board the Navy will tell me to have a nice life. I'm trying desperately to stay on at the Academy as a military professor, but that is O-4 minimum. I have a lot of very senior officers who are frustrated about that, so we'll see. I have a couple years, but I'm starting to explore my options. Oh, and the first 4 of my years is Academy, so technically active but only counts after you hit 20.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 am

I usually have no issues at our local dog park. I always go at the same time and everyone there knows my dogs, and how they play and never have issues with them.

Crystal(HermesHaven) and I were at the dog park about a month ago and a young guy probably in his 20's comes up to us with his Lab asking if we owned the Huskies, obviously we all said yes and he was like YOU NEED TO WATCHING YOUR DOGS THEY'RE SO VICIOUS I CAN'T HANDLE IT ANYMORE WE'RE LEAVING and so I'm like whatever I know my dogs and Embry and Ares come running up as he's leaving wrestling/growling/playing and he's screaming THIS IS THE SHIT IM TALKIN BOUT!!!111!! and I was like them playing???? and he's like that isn't playing!! your dogs shouldn't be allowed in this public park!!

....alright bro, i've been bringing my dogs here for 3+years and i've never had anyone call my dogs aggressive and be so extremely rude. I just blew it off and told all the regulars at the park, and they all laughed because seriously my dogs are the farthest from aggressive lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Prejudice    Husky Prejudice  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Prejudice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next