It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Tips on warm weather outdoor time?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Tips on warm weather outdoor time? Empty
PostSubject: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 am

So, its starting to get warm here, it was 30's one day and now we are in the 80's so winter ended and its going in hard on warm temps. Aside from keeping walks not to long and bringing water along. What do you guys do to help with the hot weather? It will most certainly hit 100's here, as it always does. We plan on buying a kiddie pool and are working on setting up short playdates with other dogs with the pool for fun in the area around here. Aside from not over exerting outdoors and hydration outside, and playing indoors more, any other suggestions? Would love if you guys have any ideas. It gets pretty bad in summer around here.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 am

Yeah, how crazy are these weather changes?! Thursday when I walked Ghost before work I was all bundled up with a hat and gloves, this morning I was in shorts Rolling Eyes

The last couple of summers we did a lot with the kiddie pool, and now we have an in ground pool in our yard. Also, indoor training is a must, and we either walked Ghost early in the morning or after the sun went down. I'm hoping the summer here isn't quite as brutal as it was in Florida, but I know it can get nasty around here.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Tips on warm weather outdoor time? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 am

The kiddie pool is what we have for our pups. I walk them very early in the morning when temps are very hot and late at night.

When it gets really bad for days on end I will send them to doggie day camp for a day or so to give them some play in air condition.

I have one that loves the sun he sunbathes for 20 minutes at a time several times a day if I let him.

Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
I'm hoping the summer here isn't quite as brutal as it was in Florida, but I know it can get nasty around here.

Oh they can be bad. I moved up to the Metro DC area from Louisiana a few years back and I still complain how the humidity gets bad here. Last July we only had 3 days where it was below 87 degrees every other day ranged from either 87 to 105.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/washington-dc/20006/month/327659?monyr=7/01/2012
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 am

This is something I've worried about with my Nova, she gets hot really easily but I'm a worry wort anyways, she doesn't seem to get too bothered by it but we don't ever just leave her outside, if shes outside there is always someone with her, or shes at my mom's where they have a doggie door so she can come back in to the air conditioning whenever she wants.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 pm

A couple of other things that can help a pup in the heat is to freeze the food once in a while they will enjoy it. I also make pupsicles using pumpkin and yogurt mix together they I freeze it into shapes give them these for their treats. I think you can also mix peanut butter and freeze it.
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm

ljelgin wrote:
A couple of other things that can help a pup in the heat is to freeze the food once in a while they will enjoy it. I also make pupsicles using pumpkin and yogurt mix together they I freeze it into shapes give them these for their treats. I think you can also mix peanut butter and freeze it.

Boomer Sooner! I noticed you were from Broken Arrow! My dad grew up in Owasso and my mom in Tulsa! Broken Arrow seems to be getting quite big...and lots of good football players coming out of that high school there.
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

ljelgin wrote:

I have one that loves the sun he sunbathes for 20 minutes at a time several times a day if I let him.

Darwin does the same thing. His coat gets hot to the touch, but he wont get up until he's ready. If you move him he just gets right back in the sun. Then he comes in, drinks water and cools back down to only want to get back in the sun again.

Like others said, we set up the kiddy pools so the dogs are able to lounge in them to cool down a bit. I've never thought of sending mine to daycare for a day if it gets too hot, but that's something I'll keep on the list for this summer. They would love that!
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:26 pm

nolesooner wrote:

Boomer Sooner!

I see that your location is NW Fl, and you have noles in your name. Was wondering if you're located around Tallahassee anywhere? I'm currently going to school at FSU.
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 2:00 pm

darbear wrote:
nolesooner wrote:

Boomer Sooner!

I see that your location is NW Fl, and you have noles in your name. Was wondering if you're located around Tallahassee anywhere? I'm currently going to school at FSU.

I live in Panama City, about an hour and a half from Tallahassee. I graduated from FSU in Tallahassee so I am very familiar with the area. My family is all from Oklahoma. I am a military brat. It does indeed get hot down here. In Panama City, we at least get a sea breeze. In Tallahassee, you get NOTHING! It's just stagnat air/heat. So I bet you have to be very careful with your dog, huh?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 5:43 pm

nolesooner wrote:
ljelgin wrote:

Boomer Sooner! I noticed you were from Broken Arrow! My dad grew up in Owasso and my mom in Tulsa! Broken Arrow seems to be getting quite big...and lots of good football players coming out of that high school there.

Wow it is a small world isn't it.. I am not from Broken Arrow but have lived here for over 27 years. BA is over 100,000 in size now.
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 pm

nolesooner wrote:
darbear wrote:
nolesooner wrote:

Boomer Sooner!

I live in Panama City, about an hour and a half from Tallahassee. I graduated from FSU in Tallahassee so I am very familiar with the area. My family is all from Oklahoma. I am a military brat. It does indeed get hot down here. In Panama City, we at least get a sea breeze. In Tallahassee, you get NOTHING! It's just stagnat air/heat. So I bet you have to be very careful with your dog, huh?

Yeah, I'm originally from Orlando so we definitely get a seabreeze there. I'm glad you understand about the stagnate air in Tallahassee, because a lot of people don't understand. But once it starts getting hot here, I'm very watchful of how he's doing in the heat. lots of A/C for him, refilling water bowls constantly and he gets to kick it in the kiddy pool. He's got the life.
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 pm

I'm forward to the summer, but it looks like its gonna be a hot one. I'll definitely only be walking in the morning/nights. If we run its gonna be at night, no more than 1-2 miles.

I thought it'd be a nifty idea if I wore a sweater while we walked in the sun. That way I knew if I was getting hot, the pups are definitely feeling it.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:43 am

lpp06 wrote:
I'm forward to the summer, but it looks like its gonna be a hot one. I'll definitely only be walking in the morning/nights. If we run its gonna be at night, no more than 1-2 miles.

I thought it'd be a nifty idea if I wore a sweater while we walked in the sun. That way I knew if I was getting hot, the pups are definitely feeling it.

And you'll burn tons of calories woot woot Laughing
Back to top Go down
nolesooner
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

ljelgin wrote:
nolesooner wrote:
ljelgin wrote:

Wow it is a small world isn't it.. I am not from Broken Arrow but have lived here for over 27 years. BA is over 100,000 in size now.

So what brought you to BA then? I love that part of the state!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 3:47 pm

nolesooner wrote:
ljelgin wrote:
nolesooner wrote:
ljelgin wrote:

So what brought you to BA then? I love that part of the state!

I got a job at American Airlines 28 years ago in the IT department. I got re-introduced to my husband (date in Des Moines 7 years before) we married and moved to BA. Short version to a long story. I am from Des Moines, Ia and my Husband is from Centerville, Ia. We do not want to move back to Iowa being it is so much colder than BA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips on warm weather outdoor time?   Tips on warm weather outdoor time? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips on warm weather outdoor time?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1