It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Allergic??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Female Join date : 2013-03-30

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 am

So I woke up this morning and looked over at Mila in her crate and her snout/nose/upper lip area is HUGE. The only thing I could think of is the border collie I had growing up used to snap at bees and they would sting him and his lips would swell up but I didn't see her trying to eat any bees yesterday. She'll usually find a bug or a grasshopper to jump on in the grass and shove her whole nose down in the grass or in a hole but she didn't do that yesterday either. I wondered if she chomped on the bones in her chicken wrong yesterday but there's no puncture wounds on her gums. I know she can't be allergic because she's been eating chicken for 4 days and has been just fine. Am I totally losing my mind? This literally showed up overnight.

This is what her nose normally looks like:
Allergic?? Milano10

And this is what her nose looks like this morning:
Allergic?? Milasw10

Trying not to freak out and rush to the vet for a $200 visit over nothing, but I really don't know what she could have done to swell up like this?? Especially in her crate overnight???
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 am

I guess my question is could this be from the bones in her chicken yesterday, she just chomped on them wrong? Or is it more likely she snapped a bee when I wasn't looking and she got stung?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 am

Wow when you said swelled up i was thinking a little bump.. But wow! Umm i dont know anytjing about situations like that but i would defintly take her to the vet.. Wow good luck i hope everything is ok. Please keep posted
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

Lol no, when I say swelled up I mean swelled the f**k up. I'm kind of at a loss, I'm trying to wait an hour or two to see if it goes down at all but I have a feeling we'll be at the vet before lunch. Her whole gums are swollen, all the way back not just in the front. I'm not really an advocate for the vet, I usually either wait to see if the problem persists or if I can't fix it on my own but idek about this one. She either snapped a bee and is allergic, or a wasp got a hold of her. Sad it's hurting my feelings though her little nose is so pitiful.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 am

Im not trying to make you worry and i could be wrong.. But i think i would just take her.. If the swelling gets worse it might give her trouble breathing.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 am

I'm on the phone with the vet right now. They're not slammed today so we're gonna head over there now. I did shove a benadryl down her throat but I know there's no way that's enough to help this.

...............I just remembered pest control came yesterday. But that's dumb cause there's no way their stuff is harmful to animals?? Oh jesus idek I'm just gonna go to the vet and hope it's nothing serious.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 am

Years ago we had a dog that got stung by something. We didn't know it at the time. He was in the yard and started screaming bloody murder and wouldn't stop. Lip was horribly swollen. Ended up taking him to the vet. He ended up being okay but the vet had to give him an injection of steroids or antihistamine, I don't remember which.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out okay! Let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 am

My first thought was the bones in her chicken, that she just poked herself really good. Last time I went to the dentist I had a hole in my gums and the dentist said I just chomped on a chip wrong. No big deal. But she doesn't have any punctures or scratches or anything that suggests that. So my next thought was a bee or wasp sting. They are buzzing around our balcony right now and we are out there alot. Just weird it didn't swell up until sometime in the middle of the night..
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:41 am

Yeah, I would think if she got stung it would have swelled up right away. I know I have when I've been stung lol!
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 am

Oh for!! Just got to the vet and the swelling has gone down already.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 am

Annnnd here comes the anti-raw lecture.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Was your dog showing any pain at all? From the pictures her nose looks huge...probably allergic to something.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:30 pm

She was itching it on the carpet a little but no pain. I poked and pulled and messed with it to look around and see what was going on and she let me. I gave her a benadryl and by the time we got to the vet the swelling had gone down. I guess she just got stung yesterday.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Glad she's okay. She's so cute!

*Edit - maybe it was a spider bite or something inside the house. Or maybe a wasp got in somehow and you didn't notice. Smile
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:30 pm

You know, I wondered if a spider got her in the middle of the night. If a wasp got in I would know cause the cat would have gone crazy trying to catch it. She may have just gotten stung yesterday when I left her with my husband. I feel like I would have noticed cause she probably yelped but he may have just thought she was playing cause she talks so much when she plays. He's never had a dog before so he doesn't understand alot of things :/

Thank you! And I'm glad she's okay too, thank you!! It's nice to have moral support Smile We'll be going to get some bee and wasp killer so hopefully they won't be hanging around making a nest.
Back to top Go down
jaysen_
Newborn
Newborn

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Glad she's ok. Wink
Back to top Go down
Epimetheus
Puppy
Puppy
Epimetheus

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:43 am

heather.jane19 wrote:
From us? No. From the vet? Almost certainly. "Kibble is safer." Yeah right, if I wanted to be totally safe I would not drink beer and neither would my dogs.

Glad the swelling went down. Of course it would go down after you committed to the vet visit (Doc, I swear I had a cough this morning.)The pest control stuff may not be toxic but anyone can have a reaction to a chemical. I'd say no prob with the pest stuff if the dog does not react again at home. We keep generic antihistamines in the first aid kit.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 am

I keep bendryl in my car, my purse and my house just in case something like this happens. I have a very sensitive female too. Don't worry about the raw, I'm sure it was a bug bite. Was she otherwise okay? No lethargy or vomitting?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:12 am

No she was fine otherwise. I'm sure she either got stung multiple times or was allergic to whatever stung her for her to swell up that bad. I now have a very large bottle of benadryl and may follow your lead and keep it in the car too.
Back to top Go down
heather.jane19
Puppy
Puppy
heather.jane19

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Epimetheus wrote:
heather.jane19 wrote:
From us? No. From the vet? Almost certainly. "Kibble is safer." Yeah right, if I wanted to be totally safe I would not drink beer and neither would my dogs.

Glad the swelling went down. Of course it would go down after you committed to the vet visit (Doc, I swear I had a cough this morning.)The pest control stuff may not be toxic but anyone can have a reaction to a chemical. I'd say no prob with the pest stuff if the dog does not react again at home. We keep generic antihistamines in the first aid kit.

I just saw this?? Idk why! Yes the anti raw lecture actually wasn't from the vet, she approved it. I was shocked! She did tell me to get the frozen patty things that have vegetables and fruits in them and said something about salmonella but otherwise she gave us the "okay" because she knows that Mila won't eat otherwise. And she won't. Luckily I noticed the swelling had gone down before we went in and paid for the check up, the vet just came out and talked to me for a minute. The lecture was from the girl at the desk, telling me that RAW chicken bones will splinter in her esophagus and kill her and blah blah. Allergic?? 1625187496 I said "...yeah that's only cooked chicken bones" 'Oh no ma'am, that's any chicken bones. [insert shocked and dismayed face here]' I just smiled and nodded my head and said "oh okay." Moron. I was just like hmm, okay well she's been eating them for five days and it hasn't killed her yet. Not to mention that I know a good 20,000 strong people that have multiple dogs on raw that feed bones. NOT to mention, I'm pretty sure the wolf (where all dogs descended from) has been hunting down and eating whole prey for oh, idk, EVER. But thanks for your unsolicited advice! I'll be sure to call you next time I don't want the check-in girl at the vet's office's opinion. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Allergic?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergic??   Allergic?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Allergic??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1