It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My huskies go crazy when we have company!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Epimetheus
Puppy
Puppy
Epimetheus

My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:09 am

Huskies - play hard, sleep silly.

Wonderful looking dogs, very happy.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:20 am

Oh....Kronos makes my heart hurt sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 am

atticusNkronos1622 wrote:

Sheba..: I think I forgot to distinguish between their length of exercise. My fiancé walks Atticus for about 3 miles while I do half or less than half of that with the little one. The little guy will actually tell me when he's tired. We go in circles around our block which is not very big. (4laps=1mile) and when we reach our front yard he either runs past it to keep going or he will go and lay down and that's his way of saying "ok mom I'm done" but thank you for telling me that they don't need the same amount of exercise until the little guy is older. When I'm home alone with them I have been walking them separately but while I'm out with one I can hear the other one inside the house howling in jealousy. But like you said, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sheba is like that too. Even if my boyfriend is home with her, as soon as I leave with Kennedy, Chris tells me that she howls and scratches at the door the entire time I am gone. Per advice from my trainer, she is getting a specific treat she only gets when I leave with Kennedy. I completely understand where you are coming from...and I live in an apartment Rolling Eyes . So it's even worse then if I was in a house by myself. She howls and cries and sounds like she is dying. Trust me I hear you. Try giving the other pup a SUPER special treat they only get when you leave with the other one. Make sure it lasts long. My girls get hooves. I HATE hooves cause they are stinky, but they love them. So, now they get hooves when I leave with the other dog. It's still a work in progress.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

Male Join date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 3:33 am

seattlesibe wrote:
Oh....Kronos makes my heart hurt sunny

He's a cutie. He was born with those deep blue eyes but they are slowly fading to a very light blue, almost white eyes like Atticus.
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 3:36 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
atticusNkronos1622 wrote:

Sheba..: I think I forgot to distinguish between their length of exercise. My fiancé walks Atticus for about 3 miles while I do half or less than half of that with the little one. The little guy will actually tell me when he's tired. We go in circles around our block which is not very big. (4laps=1mile) and when we reach our front yard he either runs past it to keep going or he will go and lay down and that's his way of saying "ok mom I'm done" but thank you for telling me that they don't need the same amount of exercise until the little guy is older. When I'm home alone with them I have been walking them separately but while I'm out with one I can hear the other one inside the house howling in jealousy. But like you said, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sheba is like that too. Even if my boyfriend is home with her, as soon as I leave with Kennedy, Chris tells me that she howls and scratches at the door the entire time I am gone. Per advice from my trainer, she is getting a specific treat she only gets when I leave with Kennedy. I completely understand where you are coming from...and I live in an apartment Rolling Eyes . So it's even worse then if I was in a house by myself. She howls and cries and sounds like she is dying. Trust me I hear you. Try giving the other pup a SUPER special treat they only get when you leave with the other one. Make sure it lasts long. My girls get hooves. I HATE hooves cause they are stinky, but they love them. So, now they get hooves when I leave with the other dog. It's still a work in progress.

I should try that "special treat" thing. We gave Atticus a hoove once but that didnt turn out so well- bad diarrhea! So we never gave him one again although he loved it! We recently gave him a naturally flavored rawhide and he loved it. Maybe we should start doing that with him and Kronos when one needs to go outside, in order to keep the other one happy Smile ohhh what we do for our pups Wink
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 3:40 am

I get my hooves from an all natural dog boutique-no pet stores for me. I never buy any treats of any kind from a Petsmart or Petco and haven't for almost 2 years now. They are carrying some more healthy stuff now; but 99% of the crap they carry is just that- crap.

Just make sure isn't ANYTHING they have had before and the ONLY time they get it is when you leave. NEVER break that rule or it won't work!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
I get my hooves from an all natural dog boutique-no pet stores for me. I never buy any treats of any kind from a Petsmart or Petco and haven't for almost 2 years now. They are carrying some more healthy stuff now; but 99% of the crap they carry is just that- crap.

Just make sure isn't ANYTHING they have had before and the ONLY time they get it is when you leave. NEVER break that rule or it won't work!

Ok, so a brand new treat-got it! Smile and when i come back inside should i let him still have the treat if he hasnt finished it or should i take it away?

We have been getting our food from Petsmart. We used to have a digestion problem with Atticus. We went through so many different brands of food because he wasnt keeping anything in his system. He either wouldnt eat for days or he would have diarrhea for 2weeks straight. We spent hundreds of dollars at different vets and finally found a vet we love and is willing to go that extra mile to help us with Atticus and his health. She told me to fed him boiled chicken and rice so i had him on that diet for well over a month until we got kronos and he started eating dry dog food again. So the reason we have been using Eukanuba is because thats what Kronos had been eating when we adopted him and Atticus started eating out of his bowl to be territorial and we noticed that the food was staying in his system and he was eating 3cups consistently every day with normal stools. Now were afraid to switch his food but we would like to because Eukanuba isnt our favorite brand. We liked blue buffalo but it ended up making him sick. We think it was just too rich for him???
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 pm

This is what im talking about. I found this video of them playing from a month back. Should i have intervened or is this still normal play behavior for huskies?

https://youtu.be/mq3eD2AMS7U

https://youtu.be/cFR3rk74x1M
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Nice videos....and that is so perfectly normal!

You can tell from the non-verbal cues.....ears back, tails wagging, mouths open in the play mouthing sense, constant mutual engagement, and it's mostly the little guy setting the pace.

If it ever got out of hand, the older pup would step in forcefully and check him and it'd be so obvious what just happened.

They look normal and healthy and happy together to me Smile

Last edited by seattlesibe on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:37 pm

They are so cute! Yes that's normal husky play. Smile Like someone stated above, if they're fighting, you'll KNOW. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:38 pm

My pup and his buddy Korra drag each other around by the cheeks and skin and it's worse than your little fellas.

Then they drink water together and lay down.

Huskies don't play like other dogs.
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:41 pm

That is so good to hear! Thank you for the reassurance. Now i wont hesitate to let them play together. Its funny because the rougher they play the quicker they tire themselves out Smile

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Ding Ding, bingo!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:43 pm

It wouldn't be such a mutual affair if it was fighting, not to mention so quiet.

Kronos has officially given me puppy fever again....just sayin' Smile

I only gotta wait now until Link is 2 yrs old for our 2nd, but she'll be a German Shepherd!
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:50 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
It wouldn't be such a mutual affair if it was fighting, not to mention so quiet.

Kronos has officially given me puppy fever again....just sayin' Smile

I only gotta wait now until Link is 2 yrs old for our 2nd, but she'll be a German Shepherd!

Thats a good point, i should have noticed they were being quiet and not growling lol.

We also want to get a german shepherd- beautiful dogs. We want to switch it up and get a female! Probably wont be anytime soon though.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 4:56 pm

It took me a while to get comfortable with distinguishing growling from Husky grumbling Wink
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:01 pm

LOL. Seriously, they are huge talkers and i love it Smile
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm

I love Atticus and his windy neck moves.. without sound it looks like he's dancing lol
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Skyplusus: thanks lol he is a huge character!!

Okay so I'm still unsure about one thing:
I just went an bought special treats to give them when I walk them seperating in order to keep them happy while being alone but once I get back from walking one what should I do with the treat if he is still chewing it and its not finished? I got them small rawhide twists (their fave) and I just took Kronos in a walk giving Atticus his special treat as we walked out the door. However, we just got back from the walk and Atticus hasn't eaten all of it yet. Should I let him finish it or be a mean mommy and attempt to take it away until next time????
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm

I'd recommend against rawhides, but that's another issue and there are threads about the rawhide safety issue. Love, love bully sticks though. Especially if you're giving one every walk (unclear on this part), that's a lot of rawhide.
I don't see the problem with taking it away, make it a trade, give them an high value treat and take the chew. You can just save it for next time.
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Uh-oh. Rawhides aren't good? I had no idea...
What are bully sticks? We have to be careful with Atticus be he has always had a sensitive stomach and food/treats that are too rich or weird will give him the runs for several days if not week and sometimes will be accompanied by throwing up Sad
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Here's a thread on rawhides, people weighing in on whether or not they give them or not: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t3282-question-rawhide
Bully sticks are made of bull pizzle. They're more expensive though, if cost is an issue. I'm in my phone so I didn't take a long look at the thread, but some people mentioned Zukes bones? Not familiar with them, but yeah. It's nice to look at the pros and cons of all the different chews Smile
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 7:00 pm

NO MORE RAWHIDES IN MY HOUSE!!! Wow. I had no idea they could potentially be so dangerous :/

My boys will never have a rawhide again. Since I got them from petsmart I'm able to return the package even though its opened. Do you happen to know if petsmart sells bully sticks or another treat that is safe and loved by huskies? Price isn't a huge issue but it would be nice if they weren't too expensive so I could buy them more frequently if you know what I mean Smile
Back to top Go down
atticusNkronos1622
Puppy
Puppy
atticusNkronos1622

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 7:08 pm

I just found a natural pet food store close to my house on Yelp! with a five-star rating. I think I will go tomorrow Smile more suggestions on what special treats I should look for that will keep my pups busy for awhile? Something that isn't basted or covered in flavoring because it gives my boys the runs...
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Awesome!
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t8478-what-chew-toys-could-anyone-reccommend?
Here's another great thread, sorry I keep linking old threads, I'm on my phone and too lazy to type a lot.
Antlers are good, but you need to know what the pup's chewing style is.
Himalayan chews are expensive, but Korra still hasn't finished her first one, and once it's chewed down, a brief microwaving will apparently make it puff up like a hard popcorn and extend it's life even more.
Lots of pros and cons of rawhides, bullys, and antlers on there if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My huskies go crazy when we have company!   My huskies go crazy when we have company! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My huskies go crazy when we have company!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next