It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? Empty
PostSubject: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 12:30 am

So i've been biking with my pooches and i have them wear disposable "shoes" to protect he pads of their feet from the asphalt. I had someone ask me why i made my dog wear shoes. I explained it was to protect their pads and asked how they would feel running on asphalt bearfoot. The woman was incredulous and it kinda ticked me off. Am i crazy or do others also protect their dogs feet when biking?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 12:34 am

I use Musher's Secret. It protects their paws pretty well Smile I also apply it generously and my mom thinks I'm crazy for buying all 'that stuff' XD
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 12:46 am

I don't- I check pads after every run. If I think there may be an issue starting, or warmer temps I'll use Musher's Secret also. Siberians are blessed with hardy pads unlike our bare feet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
kodaandme2012
Puppy
Puppy
kodaandme2012

Male Join date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 1:11 am

The asphalt also helps to keep there nails short. But the booties are not strange.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 1:44 am

I don't.
I use Musher's Secret weekly and try not to run on hot pavement.
Most of the time we are on trails.
But if we are on pavement, I check Bodhi's feet daily.
When we are hiking in areas of volcanic rock, I do use booties.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:21 am

I'll be getting a set of boots for both dogs for the lake. Its got a lot of cracked marble and sharper grains that make up the "sand". Other than that i just check paws
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:53 pm

I tried the Ruffwear Grip Trex but couldn't get a good fit with any of the sizes, so I sent them back.

I bike mine almost every day on asphalt, and like everyone else I check their pads daily. When we first started I'd have to take a day off every 2-3 days. Now I can't remember the last time we took a day off.

Over time I've noticed that their pads have adapted and gotten tougher. It's similar to human feet--they will adapt to the situation. As a kid I would go barefoot all the time, especially on gravel. It wasn't comfortable at first, but my feet soon developed calluses to help protect them. After that it wasn't an issue.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?   Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you'r dogs where "shoes" when running on asphalt?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1