It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Howling? When does it start?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

Female Join date : 2013-05-15

start howling - Howling? When does it start? Empty
PostSubject: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:31 pm

When did your huskies start howling? Mya doesn't really howl, she barks. She does howl some but only when she is very angry about something, like being told no when she really wants something lol.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Ha! That's funny and cute. I think it depends on the puppy honestly. Dizzy is very vocal and has howled since the day I met him at 3.5 weeks old. I have an adorable pic of him as a tiny puppy howling away. He still howls, but usually only when he's really bored or annoyed. Smile you could probably teach her to howl on command. I'm working on teaching Dizzy "whisper" it's basically this silly silent bark he does when he wants a treat.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Honestly, she could be howling but it's not the typical howl. It's hard to explain but it sounds like a bark with a little sass to it. Like a bark with a slight howl towards the end but it doesn't last very long. She normally just does this weird gurgle noise when she wants something and people always think she's growling but really she wants something (like your attention lol).
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Dizzy has an array of noises too. With him the bark is either sassy or he really really has to go out. Or, sometimes he does it before we come in, and it means he was so distracted and fascinated by everything outside he forgot to go, but still needs to. Rolling Eyes

He does the growl/howl when he wants to play with another dog, but I won't let him, since he hasn't had all his shots yet. And he has many noises to express frustration, as if to say, "but I wanna do ____ " he grumbles all the time lol. He also has his "thinking" vocalizations. When he's trying to figure out what I want he makes a different kind of noise and often yawns... I can see the wheels turning. Another 'wheels turning ' vocalization, is when he is scared, but curious... Like the first time he saw a parked Vespa. Weird lookin thing, but maybe not deadly, so he decided to do his thinking bark towards it and slowly check it out. Like I said, he's quite vocal.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:52 pm

You can encourage them easily. Howling is a social behavior, so if you and your family/friends get together and start your Husky should follow suit. It seems to help if there are no other distractions and indoors, as opposed to outdoors.

Then once you get it going you can incorporate cues and commands and get it going pretty easily.

We were literally just howling with Link less than 10 minutes ago and then I came on here and saw this thread, how convenient Smile

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:54 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Dizzy has an array of noises too. With him the bark is either sassy or he really really has to go out. Or, sometimes he does it before we come in, and it means he was so distracted and fascinated by everything outside he forgot to go, but still needs to. Rolling Eyes

He does the growl/howl when he wants to play with another dog, but I won't let him, since he hasn't had all his shots yet. And he has many noises to express frustration, as if to say, "but I wanna do ____ " he grumbles all the time lol. He also has his "thinking" vocalizations. When he's trying to figure out what I want he makes a different kind of noise and often yawns... I can see the wheels turning. Another 'wheels turning ' vocalization, is when he is scared, but curious... Like the first time he saw a parked Vespa. Weird lookin thing, but maybe not deadly, so he decided to do his thinking bark towards it and slowly check it out. Like I said, he's quite vocal.

Haha, the wheels turning looks, yep. Yawning is a most often a sign of confusion in dogs, or in a Husky's case, a battle of wills not going their way Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Lycus has always been a big talker. I think they all start at different ages, and I've even heard of some that don't really do it.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:56 pm

I used to foster and had one, Kota, and he never made a peep. My first husky, Tasha, only talks if you have something really really yummy for her.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:03 pm

At ten weeks, Bane is a heavy talker! He barks at me while I'm eating my breakfast, he howls when Tyler leaves for work, gurgles before he howls sometimes, and luckily, rarely growls. We have him saying "please" before we set his dish down for food as well. The other night he demanded it, and woo! It was a string of curse words if he could have talked!

Snuggles, my now five year old miniature doxie, was a talker from day one. We can tell her to sing and she howls. Once she comes home we will have to see if she can get him to sing easier!
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:04 pm

That's so cute! I wish I had the patience to teach Mya how to speak lol.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:07 pm

With my little guy, it didn't take patience. It's pretty much his default if he wants a treat and doesn't know what else to do... That or bite, but when he bites I say 'off' and he stops and waits for a treat. It's always a work in progress. Wink
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 1:17 am

Mine has never howled, she makes these grunt noises when she is being bothered in her sleep and she barks if she wants something. I tried howling to get her going..... I sounded stupied and she let me know that Rolling Eyes she looked at me turned her head sideways and walked away....
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 1:49 am

Anya does the sassy bark too! That is her main vocalization as of 10 weeks old. She does it when she wants to initiate play, get my attention or argue with me. I never had a dog talk back to me like she does! Its so funny that i cant get mad at her. She hasn't howled much. She only does it when she is really distressed in her crate and it sounds like a half assed low howl that she hasn't quite mastered yet. I wish she would woo-woo! Maybe she will when she gets older
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
duffman118
Newborn
Newborn
duffman118

Male Join date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:14 am

My dog will only howl if you say "Treat", "Bone", or "walk".. and hes starting to learn what "Park" means alrady... other then that he's a mute! I love it; ha-ha
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 8:56 am

[quote="wpskier222"]Dizzy has an array of noises too. With him the bark is either sassy or he really really has to go out. Or, sometimes he does it before we come in, and it means he was so distracted and fascinated by everything outside he forgot to go, but still needs to. Rolling Eyes

He does the growl/howl when he wants to play with another dog, but I won't let him, since he hasn't had all his shots yet. And he has many noises to express frustration, as if to say, "but I wanna do ____ " he grumbles all the time lol. He also has his "thinking" vocalizations. When he's trying to figure out what I want he makes a different kind of noise and often yawns... I can see the wheels turning. Another 'wheels turning ' vocalization, is when he is scared, but curious... Like the first time he saw a parked Vespa. Weird lookin thing, but maybe not deadly, so he decided to do his thinking bark towards it and slowly check it out. Like I said, he's quite vocal. [/quote

This makes me smile! The other day Mishks had a showdown with a mailbox!!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:55 am

Ha! That's so funny! I don't think he's seen a mailbox yet... I'll have to make sure we encounter one of those at some point. The other funny one was traffic cones with flags sticking out of the top. It's so much fun to see him learning about his environment. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:40 am

I know! Ahe freaked out at that big blue monster. She jumped on it, licked it, moved back and barked at it. Should have sern the head tilt when I banged on it!!! It was tooo funny!

To the OP, I think mine has gotten more vocal as she has gotten older.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I never taught the command for Yuki /to/ howl, but sometimes I wish I had taught the command to get her to stop! She is nonstop yipping/barking/howling/wooing making some type of noise as long as shes making one. It's loads of fun at 7am Razz
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Ha ha! Yes, I need to teach 'quiet' if possible...
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 12:42 pm

I didnt get mine as pups but their pretty quite so far, Bella has her moments when shes complaining a little she does something between a woo and a bark just sort of talking she does a lot of play growls at Jasper and a few times towards me or my mom. We were treated to a nice howl when we went to the clinic for their boosters, someone came in with two am staffs and Bella went berserk howling growling just yelling at them she was at the end of her leash standing and howling her furry butt off! Turned out they were very aggressive ( they attacked the chi and other small dog next to the 3 times that I saw and I heard a few more while we were getting their shots done and they had to seperate them on opposite sides of the room because they were attacking each other!) and Bella does not like aggressive dogs at all. Jasper talks and complains even less usually its at my mom cause she yells at him or refuses to pet him. But he has a growly talk he does and it very deep which is hysterical cause when he whines or barks or yips he sounds like such a girly dog! Bellas bark is deeper them jasper.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Ha
Bourbon has do a big boy true husky howl once it was this month at the monthly tornado sirens. We will see if he does it again.
When he gets excited it is a bark/howl and it is whiny and hig pitched which he has done since day one. You would hink he was an abused child seriuosly I will see if I can find the video or him at the door whiny with the other dogs barking. Out last husky woo'd on command. I want to be able to teah Bourbon this but have not succeeded yet.

HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 2:09 pm

https://youtu.be/eKpOr0vUAWU
I think this is the link... this is my first link posting so we shall see.

Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Nanook is the quietest dog ever. He will bark at the neighbors cat but that is really the only noise he makes...and of course that cat always comes around at about 6am. We have tried howling to get him going but he just doesn't seem interested in even trying.
He is however a very noisy yawner!
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 6:43 pm

I tried playing videos of huskies howling but all she did was come over, tilt her head, put her treat down and then go lay in the corner. Sooo uninterested!!
Back to top Go down
Stefifi
Newborn
Newborn
Stefifi

Male Join date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Zeabie howls alot now...it seems he does it when he yawns and when he is whinning about something...goes from a puppy whine to a howler monkey howl!!

I want him to really howl so I spend alot of time embarrassing myself by howling at him...sometimes it works and sometimes its just entertainment for the rest of my household!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howling? When does it start?   start howling - Howling? When does it start? Empty

Back to top Go down

Howling? When does it start?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next