It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help choosing a harness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

harness - Help choosing a harness Empty
PostSubject: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 8:46 am

So, I cannot take more of little miss ripping my arm off when outside! I usually take her out on a slip lead, but she pulls so hard, I have bruises on my hand, and rope burns on the back of my legs! (yes, we are working on this!) I am thinking of harness....but feel lost looking at them and don't know what to pick.

She is 6 months old, about 19" tall, 35#

Can anyone help?? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
KMay_0702
Newborn
Newborn
KMay_0702

Female Join date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:48 am

My suggestion would be to get a Premier Easy Walk Harness because it has a leash attachment in the front and will prevent a
husky from pulling. Huskies are breed to pull and mush so a regular harness would just make her ability to pull even better.
Good Luck!!

Here a link to it at petsmart and it has some great reviews:
http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830/2751027/premier-premier-easy-walk-dog-harness-reviews/reviews.htm
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 10:53 am

I would try to start training with a pinch collar.

Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 11:10 am

I understand about the pinch but for her, no.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:09 pm

As far as harnesses go I also suggest a front walk, the Walk Your Dog With Love if my preference. I used to use semi-slips on my two but when I got Link the extra pulling power I was unable to handle. With the harnesses I am able to walk all three easily.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:04 pm

I just got an Easy Walk front clip for Nanook and it is WONDERFUL! I am having a hard time adjusting it to fit correctly on him, but even not 100% correct it has cut back on his pulling tons.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Mishka'sMom wrote:
Awesome!!!
Yeah, its awesome not being dragged down the street LOL. I'll get you some pics of the harnesses so you can see how it adjusts/fits
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:14 pm

I recommend the Walk your dog with love harness too, I love it on my girls!

harness - Help choosing a harness 250583_485606541509894_1121783250_n
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Just went on line and bought the walk your dog w/love!! Hope this helps my brat! Thanks for the suggestion. I have not seen that one before. Smile I will report back and let ya know how it works!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Mishka'sMom wrote:
Just went on line and bought the walk your dog w/love!! Hope this helps my brat! Thanks for the suggestion. I have not seen that one before. Smile I will report back and let ya know how it works!
What color did you get? Just wondering lol.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm

And here's mine in theirs. Getting a pic while walking? yeah right. XD not with my pack!
harness - Help choosing a harness WYDWL_zps451d7e3a
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
And here's mine in theirs. Getting a pic while walking? yeah right. XD not with my pack!
Getting a pic while walking of them all looking at me, now that's impossible. XD
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Cute! I went with black. Thought seriously about purple, tho!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Mishka'sMom wrote:
Cute! I went with black. Thought seriously about purple, tho!

Haha both are good choices Wink
Back to top Go down
Stefifi
Newborn
Newborn
Stefifi

Male Join date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Finding the right harness is important but most important she needs to learn how to "loose leash walk"...in other words so she doesn't pull. It takes patience and consistency but in the end it pays off.

I use a front leading harness and if needed use a Gentle Lead nose harness. I would stay aware from the pinch collars as they can cause injury to the trachea and nerves in the back of the neck.

A good training class will help with the pulling issue.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Quote :
I would stay aware from the pinch collars as they can cause injury to the trachea and nerves in the back of the neck.
This happens only if they're are used improperly. The same thing could happen with a gentle leader. In fact, pinch collars aren't made to hurt the dog. You could put it on your arm and pull it as tight as possible and it doesn't even break skin. Used correctly, it works just as well as other things.

I got the easy walk harness, and while it does what I want it to do, I'm always having to readjust it. Wish I had known about the walk with love before!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I found, quite by accident incidentally, that looping the lead line around the front of the dogs chest while wearing a normal, back clip harness has the same "anti-pull" effect as front clip harnesses. My sibe sometimes gets turned around causing the lead to wrap around his chest which I discovered causes him to cease pulling. No special harness required. Wink

Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyThu May 23, 2013 4:10 pm

I use and easy walk harness, I sew it in place where I wanted it so I didn't have to keep re-adjusting it on my male. On my female husky I made her one using the easy walk as a pattern but I sewed it in place in the front.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyFri May 24, 2013 12:20 am

I'm using the easy walk for now on my two and we have one on my sisters pittie mix its working fine so far, we've only walked with it a few times and but its nearly stopped Jaspers pulling Bella's still trying to pull and pulling a bit she hates the harness tries running away and bites at me to get out of putting it on. I like that theres a clip on both the top and the bottom its easier to get on her. I eventually want to get the walk my dog or the wonder walker harness i havent decided yet, everyone has great reviews on the walk my dog with love but i like the back clip option on the wonder walker.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:40 am

Walk your dog with love harness arrived yesterday. Fitted it to my girl. Walked around the yard a bit...working perfectly. Went to dog class. Hubby picked up girl and went for take out. Left her in the car for FIVE MINUTES. When he returned, she had chewed off harness and handed it to him with her mouth!!! LMAO!!!! Going to see if company will send another one......
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyWed May 29, 2013 10:40 am

Quote :
When he returned, she had chewed off harness and handed it to him with her mouth!!! LMAO!!!! Going to see if company will send another one......
Karli did that with her first easy walk harness...hubby left it on her while I was at work, I got home, harness was chewed through. She hasn't chewed the new one yet lol.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyWed May 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Mishka'sMom wrote:
Walk your dog with love harness arrived yesterday. Fitted it to my girl. Walked around the yard a bit...working perfectly. Went to dog class. Hubby picked up girl and went for take out. Left her in the car for FIVE MINUTES. When he returned, she had chewed off harness and handed it to him with her mouth!!! LMAO!!!! Going to see if company will send another one......

LOL one of the reasons I don't leave them on for more than ten seconds lmao always afraid they'll chew them off! Hope you can get another
Back to top Go down
huskyowner7
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness EmptyWed May 29, 2013 2:37 pm

If they won't give you another one, get a lupine one! It doesn't help with the non pulling, so you have to find other ways to teach a puppy not to pull, but trust me if they chew one up, they will keep chewing. At least with the lupine ones you can return it to the store, no questions asked and you get a brand new one! I've had to do this 4 times so far and it hasn't been a problem with them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing a harness   harness - Help choosing a harness Empty

Back to top Go down

Help choosing a harness

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next