It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky size question.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

Husky size question. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 11:16 pm

I thought it sounded weird
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 am

I'd heard the 6 month thing before, I think that one is a bit of an overestimate. I was talking with our new vet here in MD last week, and she said that in her experience doubling the weight at 4 months is a far more accurate estimation.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Husky size question. - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 6:46 am

Mobezilla wrote:

MyaAndI2013 wrote:
Yea, Mya is 5 months and 21.1 pounds and I wonder how much bigger she will get. I hope she gets to at least the 35 pound range...

that's how I am with Yuki. She's been ranging from 34 to 36 pounds since 7 months old and is now 11 months and 35 pounds. I'm like are you gonna grow.. or no? Weird thing is parents are 52 and 65 so I'm wondering how she turned out so small!

We said the same thing about our 2 year old lab, mom was 70lbs Dad was 85lbs and she is 56lbs!! We thought we would be getting this big girl, and she is a petite little girl lol, sweet as she can be! You can only guess size!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 am

Dogs are just like kids, they all grow at different rates. There is a guy with a husky a few doors down from me. I thought the first time I seen him he couldn't be no more then 6-7 months old judging by size. Well I was wrong. He's the same age as Lucian. Lucian is at least an inch taller, and has 15lbs on him.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 am

Quote :
I'm like are you gonna grow.. or no?
That's exactly how I feel about Karli...I keep getting asked if she's a baby (which she's not really a baby baby anymore) or if she's a mini. Her mother was leaner so I don't think she's gonna get much bigger. But she looks wider to me than some (her buddy Korra is tiny too, Rhia and I gots little huskies lol.)
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
I'd heard the 6 month thing before, I think that one is a bit of an overestimate.  I was talking with our new vet here in MD last week, and she said that in her experience doubling the weight at 4 months is a far more accurate estimation.  
That seems like a better estimate I was really hoping she would get bigger than that though , oh well, shes just a little girl
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Balonsmom wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

that's how I am with Yuki. She's been ranging from 34 to 36 pounds since 7 months old and is now 11 months and 35 pounds. I'm like are you gonna grow.. or no? Weird thing is parents are 52 and 65 so I'm wondering how she turned out so small!

We said the same thing about our 2 year old lab, mom was 70lbs Dad was 85lbs and she is 56lbs!!  We thought we would be getting this big girl, and she is a petite little girl lol, sweet as she can be!  You can only guess size!

cinnamonbits wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

That's exactly how I feel about Karli...I keep getting asked if she's a baby (which she's not really a baby baby anymore) or if she's a mini. Her mother was leaner so I don't think she's gonna get much bigger. But she looks wider to me than some (her buddy Korra is tiny too, Rhia and I gots little huskies lol.)

It's alright, we love our little girls! Everyone thinks I'm starving her because shes not a 'huge husky' and I'm like trust me little thing is fat if anything.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:

Quote :

How much does Karli weigh?  She doesn't seem that mini to me, just maybe shorter than most.  Her body seems like a normal Husky, but on short legs Smile 

Someone somewhere said something along the lines of "if only Huskies were husky we wouldn't get so many questions about their size."  So true.

Karli is more husky thank Korra, for sure Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 2:03 pm

MyaAndI2013 wrote:
See, my vet told me that they grow the most in their first six months and then there's just a small increase over time until they're 18 months. I don't know if I'd believe the doubling. There's no way Mya will get to 40 pounds...

Link seemed to grow a consistent 3 pounds per week for a long time.  He hit a glass ceiling of growth around 4 months and in that month he hardly changed at all. Then at about just past 5 he exploded through the glass ceiling and got significantly longer and taller up until about 6 months, now, and he has kinda leveled off for now, rounding out at 32 pounds and about 18 inches to the shoulder. His neck and chest developed a bit more and his coat around his neck and face stated to puff out a tad, giving him a hint of that classic Husky orangutan puff at the head/face.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 2:08 pm

As someone who owns a massive, poorly bred, and way out of standard husky at 27" and 75lbs, all your huskies seem tiny to me lol. But for the most part, I think most peoples huskies are within standard weight and size... except for Lycus... lol!

Although, he hit that weight at around 10 months and has pretty much stayed the same.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 pm

seattlesibe wrote:

MyaAndI2013 wrote:
See, my vet told me that they grow the most in their first six months and then there's just a small increase over time until they're 18 months. I don't know if I'd believe the doubling. There's no way Mya will get to 40 pounds...

Link seemed to grow a consistent 3 pounds per week for a long time.  He hit a glass ceiling of growth around 4 months and in that month he hardly changed at all. Then at about just past 5 he exploded through the glass ceiling and got significantly longer and taller up until about 6 months, now, and he has kinda leveled off for now, rounding out at 32 pounds and about 18 inches to the shoulder.  His neck and chest developed a bit more and his coat around his neck and face stated to puff out a tad, giving him a hint of that classic Husky orangutan puff at the head/face.  
Most Nova put on in a week is around a pound and a half, but she was steadily gaining a pound a week until about a month ago and its slowed dramatically since then, she has a check up tomorrow so I guess we'll see how much shes gained since the last visit
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Rocio_Caballero wrote:
As someone who owns a massive, poorly bred, and way out of standard husky at 27" and 75lbs, all your huskies seem tiny to me lol. But for the most part, I think most peoples huskies are within standard weight and size... except for Lycus... lol!

Although, he hit that weight at around 10 months and has pretty much stayed the same.
He's so big! I couldn't even imagine Nova being that big lol
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Nova is how old now? In your avatar she looks so much like Nanook down in Phoenix, who is one of my favorite pups on this forum Smile
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:01 pm

She's about to be 6 months in alittle over a week. Really? I'll have to pay attention and look out for him
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:04 pm

He's got a scrapbook, he's gorgeous. Him and Link were born the same day but Nanook is bigger, he is part Mal...I think one of his grandparents was a Mal....
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Nova's birthday was the Dec 29th, how old is Link?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm

No way...Link and Nanook are Dec. 29th too. If you count in weeks they're past 6 months Wink
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:14 pm

I was just going by the 29th of each month lol I gave up on keeping up with the weeks once she hit around 22 weeks
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh! Also, there someone whose pup was born the 28th, I haven't seen her post anything recently though.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:20 pm

It's almost 26 now Wink

Link was born early that morning, 12:54 am.  I know because I interpret astrology charts and the breeder was kind enough to record the exact time for me. I did Link's chart and it is framed on our wall with our own charts.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:23 pm

It doesn't feel like we've had her that long! Oh well time flies!

Edit: The astrology sign chart is a really cute idea
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Well Link and Nanook and Nova will have the same chart but their rising signs and house placements will be different because that changes with each passing set of 4 minutes.

Link's was one of my favorites I have ever done.

Oops.....and now back to Husky Size questions!
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm

that's cool I definitely did not know all that, yeah I guess we should stop gunking up this topic lol, I'm gonna go look for Nanook's scrapbook Smile I look forward to seeing the three of them grow up
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:46 pm

yep, me too. Nanook is awesome. He's the one always up on that leather chair looking out the window!
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 pm

NovasHuman wrote:

Rocio_Caballero wrote:

He's so big! I couldn't even imagine Nova being that big lol

Lol, I know. When he was 5 months he weighed 55lbs so at first I thought that he just hit his growth spurt early and was done growing, but boy was I wrong!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky size question.   Husky size question. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky size question.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next