It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What do you think of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

What do you think of this breeder? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:16 pm

I've never been good at this, especially when I'm just going by the website, but I'm curious what everyone thinks of this breeder: Click

I'm currently trying to sell my Siberian Husky, but if I do end up keeping him, I'm going to need to get him a play mate than can keep up with him outside. The only sledding dogs that I've ever liked and considered were Samoyed, so I'm curious if a Samoyed would work well with him. This breeder isn't too far away and it just so happens that she has a 1 year old male available, same as my guy.

This is just an idea I had that I'm checking into. I just want to make sure that this breeder is good before I even consider looking into her dogs.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Don't do it. You already have problems keeping up with one dog, getting another one isn't going to make it any better, it will make the problem worse. Just throwing them outside in a kennel together (as you said in your other post) doesn't mean they will get exercise.
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:28 pm

It's not exactly about exercise, it's about socialization. I exercise year round except for the winter(I have Raynaud's and it's extremely painful for me in the cold). That's when he's out there for long periods of time by himself. I'm aware that Huskies are extremely social, so this setup bothers me. If I had two dogs, I'd just exercise them both. I love power walking and I also train my dogs to run with the atv. I play with a flirt pole here and there. This coming spring I'm hoping to get him into puppy classes some place where I can also get him into lure coursing and flyball. If I had two dogs, I could also get into carting, though I'm not sure where to start.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:30 pm

I just think that if you're at a point where you're considering rehoming one dog, you're not in a position to take in a second.
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 pm

I agree and I do appreciate the advice. I wasn't trying to make excuses it's just... very complicated. I guess I'm just not completely sure if I "can't keep up" just yet. Most of my issues are in the fact that I'm not sure what to do with him or how to make it work. I wasn't even considering getting another dog until I had him through some training and got him at least behaving somewhat in the house while I'm there. If I ever manage to get him to that point, I just don't want him alone when he's outside.

I can handle a dog just fine, but a Husky is a totally different story. I see everyone else sticking their huskies out in a run and it seems fine, yet I feel terrible doing it to him. I just don't know where to change my lifestyle to fit him. I'm willing, I just don't know where to get started. I notice most husky owners have more than one unless they're extremely active. I figured it was because it was good for the breed. Man, I feel so confused.

More than anything, I think the real problem is that I've had such an impossible time trying to find him a home. Anyone around here that'd be interested in him would be someone who had an older husky before that died and they want him because they're trying to relive the past or some redneck who thinks he'd look great on the end of a chain in their front yard. I want more for him, but I can't find it. If I'm stuck with him, I thought another dog would help benefit him.

Last edited by Elusive on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:44 pm

It's understandable to be confused and wanting to do what's best for your dog, but adding a second dog to fix a problem is almost never a good idea.

Quote :
 I see everyone else sticking their huskies out in a run and it seems fine

I don't agree with this statement and it's likely those dogs you see are under socialized, under trained, and under exercised.

Just so you know, we never leave our boy and our cat unattended together. If Bode has free range of the house, Myles (cat) is locked in "his" room and vice versa. It isn't ideal, especially since we have a small house, but it works out ok and it makes sure everyone is safe.

As for your breeder question: That breeder looks ok to me. They say that all of their dogs are hip and eye tested, but I didn't see any registration numbers for those on a quick glance around. They also seem to have A LOT of dogs, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by MGoBlue on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
I just think that if you're at a point where you're considering rehoming one dog, you're not in a position to take in a second.

I agree completely with this. Yes, huskies are social dogs, and yes they like to socialize with other dogs, however, all dogs, huskies especially need to be able to socialize with their humans. Sure, another dog would be better than nothing, but Re-homing or surrendering to a rescue would be a better option. Rescues are awesome and I'm not sure what your hesitation with seeking one out is. Huskies and Samoyeds are high energy dogs that need exercise every day, all year round. If its too difficult for you to be outside, then could you maybe get a treadmill and work him on that in the house? Honestly it does sound like he is under exercised. If my pup doesn't get enough exercise he starts bothering the cats and getting really excited and naughty in the apartment. He's gotta have 3 30-40 min walks a day at the very least and dog park time on the weekends.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Agreed with Jen, being social is more than just about other dogs. Huskies NEED to be with their human pack as well.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:50 pm

My pup would be absolutely miserable out in a run all the time, whether or not there was another dog with him.
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:52 pm

MGoBlue wrote:

Quote :
 I see everyone else sticking their huskies out in a run and it seems fine

I don't agree with this statement and it's likely those dogs you see are under socialized, under trained, and under exercised.

I probably should have worded that differently. I meant that it seems fine to them, but I don't like it for the same reason you stated.

How long do you have the two of them sectioned off? I can't imagine locking my cat  away for that long in order to keep my dog inside. I'd have to move the litter box into my bedroom. We live in a single-wide trailer.

I mean, my entire plan was to get him good enough where he can be in the house, loose, as long as I'm home. When I'm gone, I'd like him outside instead of crated. I'm wondering if that's an okay scenario.

By the way, sorry for rambling. I'm so jumbled up about this lately. What do you think of this breeder? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:57 pm

We used to do Cat got roam of the house during the day ~7 hours and his room at night and dog got crated during the day and free roam at night. We recently switched to cat getting the bedroom during the day and dog out and then depending on how wired the animals are either cat sleeping with us or in his room.

Even if he was behaving in the house, I would never trust any dog, let alone a husky, unsupervised for an extended period of time with a cat (no matter how long they had gotten along). Accidents happen, prey drive kicks in, and it's really easy to have a dead cat. Not worth the risk in my opinion. There are people who do it though and it works out for them.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:00 pm

If you do decide to rehome him, like Jen said, rescues are a really good option if you have one in your area, especially a breed specific rescue. They are usually very strict on who they adopt to and your boy is beautiful and young and would probably have no problem finding a home.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:11 pm

I ageee with the others its a bad idea to get another dog, if your unsure your keeping your current one. I do keep koda in a run, its half indoor half outdoor. Can go in and out as he wants, and its heated and air, with water and food. But he is only in there when im at work or school. When im at home or overnight he is in the house with me.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:15 pm

This is a tough situation and I'm sorry you are so torn about it. Your boy is gorgeous. Reminds me of mine.

It does sound though like you're pretty convinced his needs aren't being met and perhaps can't be met by you, especially in your other post. Well getting him a buddy won't meet his needs. You'll just have 2 Huskies who are companions yes, but both their needs won't be met. I agree the situation needs to be fixed but like others have said I too don't think a second one is the fix you are looking for.

That'd be more like doubling your problem, not fixing the current one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Very similar to my friends situation.. she has a husky, high-energy, she is just now getting a handle on her. Last night she brought home a rescue, and is already consider sending it back to the shelter because she cannot handle both, and her current husky seems to absolutely hate the current one. I agree with the others, your husky needs attention by humans moreso than dogs, and bringing in another dog there's no guarantee they're going to get along and they'll probably both be starving for human attention. So no, I would not bring in another dog, until you are at a point in your life you can commit and give the dog the attention it deserves from you. My dogs live in an apartment together, so they're all indoor dogs, and they are much much happier inside with me than they would be outside together.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 4:47 pm

If one of your biggest problems is exercising him in the winter, have you thought about a treadmill? I know it's not the same as getting out with him and working with him outside, but it can be effective in a pinch. You can still work with him and bond with him in other ways, like games, playtime, trick training, some short and fun obedience work, while having his physical exercise needs met.

I feel like sticking dogs in runs is sometimes just a cop-out, but I do feel like it's better than crating. I'm one of those people that believes if you have the option to use a form of containment that isn't crating, then go ahead! I know plenty of people that are "dog lovers" that just stick their dogs in crates for +16 hours a day and it hurts my heart.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 4:53 pm

If you don't end up finding him a home, selling him really sounds quite cold... And are "stuck with him" I really wouldn't suggest getting another. These are special dogs and you would probably end up with 2 dogs getting less than what they need. Double the trouble. They may have each other but if you find it hard with 1, it will be harder with 2 and I worry they will get less time than your current Sibe gets.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Do you have a fenced yard?

I have 5 cats, my huskies don't hurt them, and they all co-habitat fine inside.
Only problem I find is when they are outside, that pray drive kicks in, and the dogs will chase them, but they never hurt them. I don't think it is too pleasant for the cats, but they just run up the fence and stare at Keyto (main offender) It is however quite obvious that this is just a game with Keyto - she actually will sleep on the bed with the younger cats and clean them like they are pup's or something.

In my opinion Cat's can be great company for huskies if you have raised them all right, or taught them the boundaries.
I taught Keyto the boundaries whilst constantly on a leash inside...
It took time though... If time is a problem for you then maybe you should consider surrendering to a no-kill shelter.

If you can invest the time in your dog, you can have a great one.

Due to you not being able to get out in the winter, I would suggest stimulation toys in which he has to 'think' to get a treat etc.. this may mentally burn some energy... I play a lot of tug games with my dogs. Especially at the moment, as pup hasn't had his second vaccination, so we haven't been going on walks because I am deathly scared he will contract parvo.

If you have a large lounge (sitting room?) like I do - you can play tug with your pup/dog for a couple of hours throughout the day in winter to burn off excess energy. Works for me anyway Smile

You could also potentially look at hiring a dog walker during winter - we have them here in NZ so I guess you should have them too.

Remember - your dog is worth it, and he can learn what is appropriate, if he is shown.

Last edited by histi on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo - my 'F' button is tempremental)
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 pm

dahowlers wrote:
If one of your biggest problems is exercising him in the winter, have you thought about a treadmill? I know it's not the same as getting out with him and working with him outside, but it can be effective in a pinch. You can still work with him and bond with him in other ways, like games, playtime, trick training, some short and fun obedience work, while having his physical exercise needs met.

Sadly, I've tried the treadmill, but he's deathly afraid of it. I trained our Brittany to use it back when she was younger, so I know how to do it, but for some reason he freaks out around it. Even when it's off. He's easily frightened by quite a few things actually. The people who had him before me just left him in a tiny pen all day, so everything is really new to him. it's bad enough where he'll just lay down and choke himself against his collar. I tried to coax him onto it with treats and stuff while it was off, but he wasn't too impressed.

The most I can do over the winter is continue to run him with the atv when it's not too cold and/or slippery, and use the flirt pole, which is just about his favorite thing.

arooroomom wrote:
If you don't end up finding him a home, selling him really sounds quite cold... And are "stuck with him" I really wouldn't suggest getting another. These are special dogs and you would probably end up with 2 dogs getting less than what they need. Double the trouble. They may have each other but if you find it hard with 1, it will be harder with 2 and I worry they will get less time than your current Sibe gets.

It's sounds a bit like you're accusing me of trying to make a quick buck off of him or something. That is not the case, and is actually quite hurtful considering I've put well over $500 into him within the first half year of owning him. I'm only considering selling him because that's what the breeder suggested that I do, but if the perfect home came along then I'd be happy to hand him over for free. Quite frankly, if they can't afford a tiny fee though, I'd doubt their ability to afford emergency vet bills.

histi wrote:

It took time though... If time is a problem for you then maybe you should consider surrendering to a no-kill shelter.

Due to you not being able to get out in the winter, I would suggest stimulation toys in which he has to 'think' to get a treat etc.. this may mentally burn some energy... I play a lot of tug games with my dogs. Especially at the moment, as pup hasn't had his second vaccination, so we haven't been going on walks because I am deathly scared he will contract parvo.

If you have a large lounge (sitting room?) like I do - you can play tug with your pup/dog for a couple of hours throughout the day in winter to burn off excess energy. Works for me anyway Smile

Surrendering him to a shelter is not an option for me. The whole reason that I took him was to save him from going to a shelter. He was sickly and I wanted to be able to devote proper attention to his well being, and I didn't want him in a cage all day. I wouldn't mind contacting a rescue, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to just hold onto him while they find a home for him. Why does he have to go there to wait? The biggest thing is, I don't want to lose control of where he goes. The breeder specifically told me that she trusted me to find him the right home. I'm not going to abuse that trust by dumping him somewhere. That's a breeder's worst nightmare.

I wish he enjoyed that kind of thing, but he's not into tug-o-war unless it's with the flirt pole anyway, and any of the thinking games bore him. I tried a Kong, but he's not too thrilled with it.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:44 pm

That's unfortunate :c
I believe you could do it though, with some VERY broken down and VERY extensive counter conditioning. It's a rough patch, but definitely workable. Can you hire a positive trainer to help you with it, or to get advise from? If worse comes to worse, will the breeder not take him back?
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Am just studying my animal behavior paper, and they have just Mentioned the use of D.A.P. (Dog appeasing pheromone) you could get one of their plug-in diffusers and give that a go to calm him while he is inside at least... heres a link to some info DAP
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 3:27 am

^^It may help...its now called Adaptil (we got a lunch out of them last week at work lol) and we have it plugged in at the office. It may help calm him at bit, they also have collars that you can try AND a spray that you could spray the treadmill with.

Honestly, I don't think anyone is accusing you of anything. They're just saying that you say you want to rehome him and so there is a reason for that. Rescues/shelters aren't as bad as you think. They are educating themselves more about animal needs and they aren't locked up in a cage all day anymore. They have play yards and volunteers to come walk the dogs. Its not as bad as you think. And just leaving him outside wouldn't be any better for him. I can't leave Karli outside for more than an hour, she starts scratching at the door to come in.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 4:41 am

I'd like to note that $500 seems like very little to put into a dog for one year. I spend more than that on purchasing a dog. Delilah was different, but due to her issues she has been incredibly expensive..like 1000 in one vet visit expensive.

I don't mean to sound callous, but I suggest surrendering the dog to rescue. Where are you located? Many of us can network to find a rescue to take him.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:16 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
I'd like to note that $500 seems like very little to put into a dog for one year. I spend more than that on purchasing a dog. Delilah was different, but due to her issues she has been incredibly expensive..like 1000 in one vet visit expensive.

I don't mean to sound callous, but I suggest surrendering the dog to rescue. Where are you located? Many of us can network to find a rescue to take him.

Agreed. I spend $500 in food alone in 4 months time; that's not counting vet bills, toys, treats, collars, leashes, supplements..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:39 am

I think she meant she has put $500 in the way of vet bills, not food and purchase price, but thats just my interpretation....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   What do you think of this breeder? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next