It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Leo's first garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 5:18 pm

RedFlashFire05 wrote:
thanks. wow don't know that, but can you eat Amaranth? gotta google it.

Your question prompted me to google it; the grain head looks similar to maize which also made me wonder. According to WikiPedia, the answer is yes.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 5:31 pm

awesome, now I've need to figure out what to make it in to....mmmmm??? so many options lol.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 7:26 pm

my mom planted some sweet potatoes and removed the squash and cumber plants, as they have finished. gonna get some pictures soon.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Since gardening is scattered all over, I'll comment here ...

Cucmbers, still have a few new ones forming on the vine - but Sasha has decided that she *really* likes cucumbers so I've had to shorten her lead so she can't reach the garden space. What are forming up now look better than what I had growing earlier, but found that overwatering cuke's leads to yellow cukes so I've cut back some and they're looking better.

Cantaloupe - got one and that'll be one that goes in next year; I just planted two plants (small garden) and I'm getting two cantaloupes but the one I got out earlier was really good!!

Have more green and yellow peppers forming up - the pests (bugs and birds) seem to leave the yellow ones alone and I'm hoping I can get a couple of the green ones now. I beat the pests to one out of about 4 earlier.

Ditto the tomatoes - I've gotten two, have one on my window sill, they have good flavour but the birds<?> also agree they taste good and they get to them before I do. Saw how another of the locals had his staked to t-posts and he's got a good selection of fruit so I think I'll try that next year.

@RedFlashFire05, not meaning to hijack your thread, I tend to just toss my comments about my small garden out at random ....

Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Leo loves cucumber from the garden, its one of his favorites, until the watermelon starts fruiting. its got a few flowers but for got to get pictures.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4412

our cantaloupe dried up due to some slight over planting  Laughing.
Laughing  Wink , hate though buggers. i usually use a gallon of soapy water to 4 tsp of baking soda and spray every 3 to 4 days. work very well.
we have some black bell peppers still growing but its so tiny. the chilies are producing an abundance of chilies.

so far the tomatoes are still growing, i let Leo in this morning he headed to the tomatoes to see if any were ready.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4510

we also cut the Amaranth and collected the seeds this one was the tallest my mom posed for the picture. it looks about 7 ft tall.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4512

so far the sweet potatoes are surviving the scorching heat over the last 3 days.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4413

they will be ready in like 3 months to harvest.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4414

the big pumpkin my mom planted has one almost ready to eat.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4415

the cactus fruit was finally ready to eat.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4410

it was very good, and we all shard it. the other cactus had 2 more, but every one couldn't wait to taste this one.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4416
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 6:49 pm

NIce looking garden, Ronin! Could you take a picture of your tomato supports that shows the whole thing? I am pondering different supports for my tomatoes next year - I just let them sprawl this year because it was getting late and had so much to do.

How long have your sweet potatoes been planted? Three more months for harvest? I was hoping to try some one of these years but 4 months is about all the frost free time we have...suppose I could grow under low tunnels...

Nice looking pumpkin Laughing
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 7:14 pm

my mom used a trellis that looks like is one.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4514

she wived the them though and some bamboo pols resting on the round metal supports for more support.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4515

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4516

i think they were planted about a week ago. thanks.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Aye, Amy, I was wondering too since I've got to do something different next year. When I saw the first picture it looked like it was horizontal but I also thought I was wrong till she showed them later and they are ... now that's a real thought!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 7:39 pm

aljones wrote:
Aye, Amy, I was wondering too since I've got to do something different next year. When I saw the first picture it looked like it was horizontal but I also thought I was wrong till she showed them later and they are ... now that's a real thought!

That is actually one of the considerations - I saw it a couple of years ago, using cattle panels, I think. Basically you make a table about 2-3 ft up from the ground and have a wood, metal or string lattice for the plants to sprawl horizontally. Then you don't have to bend over to pick bounce

I'll have to look through my outlook, I stash all sorts of miscellaneous tidbits by printing to outlook Rolling Eyes It used to work nicely - I could search easily instead of papers all over the place and it would sync with the laptop so I always had a backup. But then I mucked it up somehow, now it doesn't sync anymore Sad Think either I'm not supposed to copy/paste a page or either the pc or laptop was supposed to be the "add the new stuff" Whatever, its mucked up and I haven't had the hours to sit and figure it out. And do NOT get me started on the new outlook - Microsoft mucked that one up Mad
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 pm

*I* won't say a thing about Office - I still use Office 2003 since, as far as I'm concerned, that's the best version they ever produced before they started with Ribbons, etc. and the "x" variants to the files bug the blazes out of me!!

2-3 feet, that high, huh? But then my tomatoes are sprawling easily that far ... Looks like it would work well with cukes and squash as well.

Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4511
the gardenia finally flowered, didn't think it would this year the buds kept falling off.

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4512

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4514
the tiger rose had a flower yay.

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4513
finally got some good sized bell peppers, they look purple but in the picture they look black.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4410
also my mom's favorite plant had is first flower this year i believe its called grand duke.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 2:48 pm

they hibiscus finally flowered this year.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4612

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4613

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4614

some garden picture update.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4615

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4616

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4618

the pumpkin is ready for eating.woo-hoo
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4617

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4619

forgot to take a picture of he watermelon.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4623

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4621

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4622
we got a new watermelon a wail back, but not sure if the it'll be ready to eat before it gets to cold Suspect, so far its growing like a weed.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 4:11 pm

What on earth kind of pumpkin is that?

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 4:47 pm

i think its a Kabocha, its suppose to look like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kabocha.jpg
not sure why it looks that way, but the orange side was where the sun hit it the most lol.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 8:38 pm

With pumpkins, I put a thin piece of wood under them, like a wood roofing shingle type of thing, keeps them from getting any kind of rot, and I rotate them every once in awhile so the color is uniform. Congrats on growing them!!! I didn't get even one this year! I'm so disappointed Sad what kinds of things do you make from them?

Your Hibiscus are beautiful! I love Hibiscus but here they all get whitefly really bad.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 10:51 am

Interesting. They are far more unique the way yours grew. I love all the odd ball breeds of pumpkins. I grew harlequins this year but that is all. They are very small. Not a picture of mine but what they look like.

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Stock-photo-a-decorative-green-squash-or-gourd-variety-harlequin-on-a-white-background-60445405

I want to try some of the other types next year now that I have a better idea where to put them.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 1:17 pm

i usually if we have a good amount of pumpkins from the garden i use them to make pumpkin spice bread, and some pumpkin treats for the boys. or just steam it and eat it so tasty.
my mom make pumpkin candy not sure how she dose it but need to ask her show me.

Hibiscus had some whitefly not to many; we sprayed them with some baking soda, soap, and water solution for a few weeks. then we stopped cause the praying mantis stated to show up and we didn't want to get the solution on them. the praying mantis took cared of the rest of them. Cool
thanks, we wanted to get another hibiscus but we haven't found one smaller in color to that one. it the one plant that every one waits to see every year  Laughing.
here is a praying mantis picture i finally found one on a rose.
Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4516
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Oooh, pumpkin spice bread is one of my favorite things! The pumpkin candy sounds interesting! What's it like? A Carmel (soft candy) or is it like a pumpkin flavored fudge? Sounds really good, lol, I love my sweets, lol

I've been seeing a lot of preying mantis lately...such a fierce name for a relatively innocent looking insect, haha
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 11:23 am

They are innocent looking until they jump on your face. Then...not so much.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Yesh me too, its almost like a dehydrated fruit. she makes it on the stove top and it take wail to make. it has a mild pumpkin flavor with a hint of sugar, its has a similar look to dehydrated pineapple. lol
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 5:21 pm

we usually can pick them up and move them to a plant that need some help with bugs. they don't seem to mind  Laughing , but they are really fast runners when they deiced to run wail your moving them Shocked.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2015 7:59 pm

RedFlashFire05 wrote:
Yesh me too, its almost like a dehydrated fruit. she makes it on the stove top and it take wail to make. it has a mild  pumpkin flavor  with a hint of sugar, its has a similar look to dehydrated pineapple. lol

Ahhhhh, ok...it sounds like the stuff I only know of as "Mexican candy" I don't know if there is another name for it but yeah, it's like dehydrated fruit with just enough sweetness to it. I've had some before but not pumpkin, in fact the one I had was sprinkled with a "hot" spice, haha...I don't do the hot spices, lol
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4813
the sweet potato has flowers Suspect

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4814

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4815
we have a watermelon growing, and its a good size. i hope it is ready to eat before it get to cold.

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4816
the bamboo is growing a new one, not sure what the new growth is called. Laughing

Leo's first garden - Page 2 Img_4817
and one creepy spider i saw this marring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leo's first garden   Leo's first garden - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leo's first garden

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next