It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw for Ginger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Raw for Ginger - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Here's Ginger with her lunch today. No need to sear chicken anymore Smile
She got her drummette first, then a chicken neck with her THK.
(Sorry for the 'hubby commentary in the background)

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:29 pm

I fed her a drummette yesterday and today her BM wasn't as firm and she seemed to have an easier time passing...so with more muscle meat on the drummette vx. a wing, she seems to do better.

My next question is:

Ginger gets fed 3x a day. Each meal is 1/4 THK plus 2 tablespoons, and 2 tablespoons Orijen. If I give her a wing, I minus the Orijen. I would like to graduate her to a chicken leg (drumstick).

Should I just feed a drumstick in lieu of one of the THK/Orijen meal? In other words, 2 meals would THK/Orijen and the third meal of the day would be a drumstick? Or is that too much food?

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Yay for Ginger!!!! She seems to be totally enjoying it! =) and OMG your hubby had me cracking up! he's so funny!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 pm

cmanding wrote:
I fed her a drummette yesterday and today her BM wasn't as firm and she seemed to have an easier time passing...so with more muscle meat on the drummette vx. a wing, she seems to do better.

Glad to hear the meat to bone ratio adjustment is helping.

cmanding wrote:
My next question is:

Ginger gets fed 3x a day. Each meal is 1/4 THK plus 2 tablespoons, and 2 tablespoons Orijen. If I give her a wing, I minus the Orijen. I would like to graduate her to a chicken leg (drumstick).

Should I just feed a drumstick in lieu of one of the THK/Orijen meal? In other words, 2 meals would THK/Orijen and the third meal of the day would be a drumstick? Or is that too much food?

That sounds like a plan. How much does her drummet weigh? You can try the two THK/Orijen meals and one drummet meal and adjust as needed if she gains or loses. Our chicken quarters weigh 1 pound and that's all we feed our sibe for that day, aside from treats in the morning, afternoon, and evening.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
That sounds like a plan. How much does her drummet weigh? You can try the two THK/Orijen meals and one drummet meal and adjust as needed if she gains or loses. Our chicken quarters weigh 1 pound and that's all we feed our sibe for that day, aside from treats in the morning, afternoon, and evening.

The drummette is the mini drumstick attached to the wing. That's what she's getting now.

If Dakota is only getting 1 lb of raw for the whole day, I'll have to check the weight for a regular drumstick. I'm guessing that maybe she may only get 1 cup of THK, no Orijen and raw drumstick for food for the day.

Thanks Val! This gives me an idea of how much to adjust her regular food if I increase her to a drumstick.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Oh okay, I was thinking it was the drumstick. Rolling Eyes I'm such a confused individual! lol

Yeah, we feed a lb of food a day. So 1 cup of THK if that's what we're feeding that day. If I do a mix of THK and a raw I weigh out the raw food and adjust the HK amount so that the two combined equal about a lb or slightly over. And of course on our raw days I feed about a pound. Granted I do give treats so that does increase his total food intake for the day to over a lb. I'd say total he gets about 1.25 to 1.5 lbs max of food per day total.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:51 am

Hmm...I think Ginger eats a little more. She gets a total of 1.5 cups total in a day if I'm feeding only her THK/Orijen.

I'll figure out weight and adjust accordingly. Or maybe I should decrease her food intake slightly since I think she could lose a couple of pounds. She's 59.6 lbs right now, and our old vet says he can totally tell that she's gained a lot more muscle mass than when he first saw her last October. He says she's right where she should be, but I think if we could drop at least 3 lbs over the summer, she'd be better off...

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:30 am

It's healthier to be on the leaner side regardless so I'm sure it couldn't hurt if you did want to drop a few pounds off of her. Plus, it'll probably help stimulate her appetite a bit more. Wink

Dakota is 55 lbs and he looks good, he was at 58-59 lbs for the past 2 years and in good health but it was a little bit extra for him to be carrying around. Our holistic vet said he was fine at the 58-59 lb mark but honestly, he is much healthier and better off at 54-55 lbs. He's got more energy and stamina with those few extra pounds off, it makes a difference. Faith and Glory were both overweight when I adopted them and they are so much healthier and active without all that extra weight. Not to mention how much better their joints are without having to support a heavier body.

You can always try her out at a lower weight and see how she does, I'm sure if it doesn't work out that Ginger will easily put the weight back on. 3 lbs can make a big difference in their overall health and well being, I know from experience with Dakota.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 am

Huskyluv wrote:
It's healthier to be on the leaner side regardless so I'm sure it couldn't hurt if you did want to drop a few pounds off of her. Plus, it'll probably help stimulate her appetite a bit more. Wink

Dakota is 55 lbs and he looks good, he was at 58-59 lbs for the past 2 years and in good health but it was a little bit extra for him to be carrying around. Our holistic vet said he was fine at the 58-59 lb mark but honestly, he is much healthier and better off at 54-55 lbs. He's got more energy and stamina with those few extra pounds off, it makes a difference. Faith and Glory were both overweight when I adopted them and they are so much healthier and active without all that extra weight. Not to mention how much better their joints are without having to support a heavier body.

You can always try her out at a lower weight and see how she does, I'm sure if it doesn't work out that Ginger will easily put the weight back on. 3 lbs can make a big difference in their overall health and well being, I know from experience with Dakota.

Yep, I totally agree!

When we adopted Ginger, she was 56-57 lbs. She was picky and ate very little, probably because she needed time to settle in to her new home. When she did settle in, she weighed in at 59 lbs. Then diarreha set in and I thought with feeding her so little, she would drop 1 or 2 lbs, but she didn't. She's been holding steady at 59 lbs. Jenn says she doesn't look that heavy.

Still, I completely agree with you. Even if the vet says she OK, I'd still like to lean her out a little more. She'll only be healthier.

Thanks Val!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 pm

I am a proud momma today!!

At dinner, Ginger got her THK with her little wing and neck in her food bowl...and she ate it all up right out of her food bowl! I love you

I didn't have to clean the carpet where she normally takes her chicken!

I've backed off a little of the Orijen and her THK since she's getting a tad more raw chicken...I'll have to weigh it out, but her food for the day is now: 3/4 c THK, 3 full tablespoons of Orijen, and a raw chicken neck and either a wing or small drummette....of course she gets a few treats during the day...Hopefully, that'll help her drop a couple of pounds in the next couple of months.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Awww Yay Ginger!!!!!!! How much does she weigh now? I think you mentioned it before, but I don't remember.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 pm

The last time she went to the vet, she weighed in at 59.6 lbs...she's been at that weight since I got her back on track from diarreha, which is about 4 or 5 months now.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Oh how I wish Mya was at 59lbs...LOL! Last time she went to the vet she was at 68lbs...had lost 4lbs from her previous 72lbs! Still working on it! I'm thinking she's lost a lil more now. I'm planning on taking her to the pet store soon to get weighed. Ginger is fine...2-3lbs and she'll be perfect =)
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Yep - I'd like her to be 55-56 lbs...but man! 3 lbs off her is hard!! (Just like me trying to lose 6 lbs!) It ain't much, but it ain't easy!! What the hell?!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 pm

cmanding wrote:
Yep - I'd like her to be 55-56 lbs...but man! 3 lbs off her is hard!! (Just like me trying to lose 6 lbs!) It ain't much, but it ain't easy!! What the hell?!

Typical woman issues..lol! Girl, I have a very small frame, and for me to lose 5lbs means working out twice a day like mad women and eating like a rabbit! I know it's hard! Same with Mya! I'm always telling her that i"m sorry she's a chic with chic weight issues..LOL!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Walked to the vet's office today and weighed Ginger....58.6 lbs Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 pm

That's awesome! Baby steps!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 pm

I have to believe it's all the fur she's shedding! lol!

But seriously, the last time she's been to the vet was a few weeks ago, so sometime since she's lost some weight. When I got home, and she was laying down on the floor, hubby asks, 'I wonder if she lost some weight. She looks like she has. You can see more definition...'

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am

Right now, Ginger gets a wing or drummette, and neck every day once a day. Once she graduates to a thigh or drumstick, would feeding her that once a day be too much? Should I stagger it to every other day?

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 am

For now, since you're still starting out in this it should be fine daily. Just be sure to make the necessary portion adjustments to keep her from gaining weight. I'm sure you already are but just wanted to be sure. Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Yep...I weighed her THK that's she's getting now...and it's a total of 9 oz. She also gets 1.5 oz of Orijen as well. And then a few treats as she usually does. The chicken she gets now is under 3 oz.

So in total, she NOW gets 13.5 oz of food and her usual treats. Wow...!

That means she WAS getting just about a 1lb of food...

No wonder she lost 1 lb in the last few weeks which is about when I started feeding raw chicken! Heh! Didn't even know...

...and we're SO in tune with each other, I TOO have lost 2 lbs! LOL!!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 pm

Awesome, you two are in it together! Laughing

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 4:14 pm

Are you weighing her THK before adding water, or after? Just curious...

I think Nikolai and I have both found your "lost" weight. He needed it, but I sure as hell don't. :-( Kharmic balance in the universe.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 4:25 pm

I weighed her THK after I added water. So 1/4 c THK + 1/3 c water = 3 oz.

Now, I do make her's a little more on the dry side because I will make up 4 servings and put it in the fridge. When she's ready to eat, to take the chill of, I spash a couple more tablespoons of hot water so it's not too cold.

I now feed her 1/4 c THK (dry) three times a day. With that, she gets about 1 oz of Orijen (each meal) which is about 1 rounded tablespoon, and about 2.5 oz of raw chicken. And she gets a few treats throughout the day.

When she's up to a thigh or drumstick, that'll be a meal serving. So she'll then get only 1/2 c THK (dry) and 2 tablespoons of Orijen in addition to her drumstick or thigh. I'll have to weigh out the drumstick/thigh to make sure it's about 3-3.5 oz so she still gets about the same amount of food in weight...

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 am

Hey Claudia! I was just separating the drummettes that I bought yesterday and was wondering if you give them to Ginger as is? They seem to have a lot of skin and/or fat. Did you take some of that off?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw for Ginger

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next