It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw for Ginger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Raw for Ginger - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 11:35 am

Aww, sorry that Ginger didn't do well on the turkey wings. I actually found 2 yesterday for like $3 so i got them. I'll try it out with them once I'm done with drumsticks that I've already separated. That was actually the first time that I ever see a turkey wing!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 6:51 pm

So, I think I know what Ginger is going soft on...and it may not be turkey after all...

The sad thing is, the only other new food/treat she has been getting are Ziwipeaks Fish/Venison dog treats! Crying or Very sad She hasn't been getting very much - just a couple/few pieces a day! So I'm wondering if she truly cannot tolerate any of the 'red' meats (e.g. steak, bison, venison, lamb and pork) as her first holistic vet suggested she stay away from.

I guess it'll have to be Storm's treats!
He was just officially adopted today and he's already getting creme de la creme food and treats!!

Yee Haw!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:11 pm

He's going to be a spoiled boy! He's now king Storm...lol.

Pretty please put a video up of them when you get a minute! =)
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:31 pm

I will!
I'll post it under the other topic 'There's a Storm at our house'

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Claudia, Costco sells the fryers for even cheaper if you buy a whole case. At least in Charleston they sell whole fryers for 99 cent/lb but if you buy a whole case the price drops down to 80 cent/lb. Only thing is a case is a lot, so you'd have to have an extra freezer. That's what I did for Glory and Faith's chicken thighs, they sell for 99 cent/lb at Costco but I bought a case which was 61 lbs at 85 cent/lb. No way I could have stored all that chicken if I didn't have a large chest freezer in my garage though.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:46 pm

Ughhh Kody DID NOT do well on turkey wings either! Soft moucsy BM this morn =(
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 1:07 pm

MelissaI wrote:

Darn! Oh well, chicken it is for our babies!

Storm waits to eat his dinner because he's more interested in what Ginger has to eat shen she's eating her drumstick. Once she's done, Storm will go sniff/lick where Ginger was eating the drumstick. Then he'll go eat his dinner as if to tell me it's boring! Ha!

Storm - just be patient...you'll get to eat raw chicken too if your tummy agrees with it!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:56 pm

MelissaI wrote:

That's weird. Didn't you try raw ground turkey before? confused

LOL Claudia, Storm is so funny. He'll have his day. Very Happy

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Yep Val, he had ground turkey before! Super weird! It had to be the turkey wing because he didn't have anything else outside of the norm. His BM this evening was back to normal...thank goodness for that!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Maybe the skin?
What if you tried a small turkey drumstick without the skin?

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 pm

That's a good point, did the turkey wing have skin on it? Well, at least you know he can have ground turkey so that he has that as an option for variety.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Very true Claudia! Yep, it did have a good amount of skin on it. That's probably what didn't settle well with him. If I find the turkey wings again I'll try taking the skin off and see what happens =\
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 pm

I've noticed that for Ginger's bigger drumpsticks, I have to take the skin off or she'll have some mucous over her (firm) BMs.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 am

Last nigh ginger had half a chicken back and her BMs were still fine today. She had the other half for dinner tonight. I have noticed that the last few raw dinners, chicken back or drumstick, her BMs are smaller and more firm since I've been removing most of the skin....and tonight, I decided to try green beans again, but this time the frozen ones and she likes them! I don't see why she'd go soft on green beans, but I'm hoping she's still firm on green beans.

...And I'm hoping that Storm will take to frozen green beans too so I can use them as 'treat/fillers' while he's on 'weight watchers' Smile I tried to give him a piece but he wasn't interested. So I gave it to Ginger and she ate in front of him and he decided to try another piece. He didn't eat the second piece, but he took it in his mouth and bit it and then spit it out.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 11:18 am

I've been taking the skin off of the chicken too and yep their BMs are A LOT smaller and pretty hard. Now on THK their BMs are huge..lol.

Green beans are my new savior as a filler! Mya didn't like them at first either so I mixed some in with THK and she ate them. The next time I gave her a drumstick and green beans and she ate them fine.

Kody does well on green beans too. Woohoo! I hope Ginger does too =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 pm

That's great ladies! My dogs like green beans, except Faith...you know, the picky one! Faith will mouth green beans and spit them out, she will even guard them but refuses to eat them...crazy dog. It's been years and she still won't eat them so I think it's safe to say that she doesn't like them.

They better be having smaller, firmer BMs on raw! Because dogs are made to eat raw meat, organs and bones their bodies can digest it better and extract more nutrients out of raw food than processed food. And when their bodies digest and extract more nutrients from their food then that results in less waste (i.e. smaller, more compact BMs). Doesn't feeding raw just get better and better?! Very Happy I mean it's better for them, it keeps their teeth clean, it isn't processed, and you don't waste money on foods that end up going right through them. Some of those huge THK BM's I felt like I was watching dollars come out and having to pick those dollars up and toss them in the trash. I mean I love THK and all but what a difference raw feeding makes!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Yep - Ginger has small turds for the most part...she will poop sometimes 4 times in a day, but they're 2 small nuggets each time she poops! LOL! Hubby sometimes will make fun her turds!

Storm on the other hand...WHOA Nelly!! Why, on our walk this morning, I had to use TWO poop bags because it was more than my hand could pick up at once! SHEESH!...But just you wait until I can get him started on some raw chicken...

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:29 pm

lol! Poor Storm! You always make me laugh, Claudia! Laughing

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:32 pm

*grin* That's the funny part about Nikolai's poo - the day after he eats raw, his stools are about the same size, shape, and consistency of the cat's. On days he does kibble, they're bigger and looser.

(Can I be part of the uh... "club" we have going on here with the poo analysis? Wink)
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 4:13 pm

If you like 'talking shit', join the club! lol!

PostSubject: Re: Raw for Ginger   Raw for Ginger - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw for Ginger

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7