It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

The Desert Pack - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 pm

I use aspirin on Kenzi whenever we've gone on very large hikes. I think it does all right for her. She has pretty bad arthritis in her hips and once we stop moving and She lays down for a while she gets really really stiff and then almost can't get back up and then will limp a lot. I don't think the aspirin helps so much but it does seem to help a little bit because she doesn't cry and whine as much after she's had one though she does still continue to limp and be stiff in general despite them. In other words it works well enough that she's quiet but it doesn't work so well that she isn't in pain at all and is back to being a puppy.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Aye, Sasha's is a come and go thing. I've watched her get up - since she's laying almost under my chair - and she struggles at times, but I put most of that to the fact that she's trying to get on her feet in a limited space on linoleum! There doesn't seem to be any relationship between her limping and her ability to get up.

As it stands, I'll continue as I have been - 1/2 a previcox when she's obviously in pain. I don't think it's gotten too severe, nor did Mary (in my opinion) who said that an x-ray might be in order somewhere down the line but would be an unnecessary expense at the moment. It didn't help that Sasha was fine when we went into town to the vet. << arrgh >> She didn't always put her full weight on her foot but much of the time she was standing four-square.

I did have to laugh at her - at her expense - I pulled off at one of the rest areas so she could walk a bit and do whatever before we hit town. As she was getting back into the Jeep, she couldn't get a grip on the back bumper so after a couple of tries I just put an arm under her and lifted her in - which got me a "watch it buster" growl and a dirty look!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Your pups sound like me...after sitting or riding in a car for a bit, I move like I'm 150 yrs old. Once I'm up and about for 10 minutes or so, I'm a spry young pup. Sort of lol!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 pm

This dog's (Sasha) going to be the death of me yet!

Yesterday morning (Fri 8/10) she was over playing with a neighbors dog.  Came in and hacked up a good load of grass and went to her corner to 'crash.'  'Round about 5:00PM she comes out crying - she's really in pain from something.  Off and on through the early evening she was complaining.  Went out and upchucked the food from earlier - not all but some.  

Called Mary, my vet, who said it just sounded like an upset stomach.  We've had upset tummies before and all I've seen before was 'I'm not  hungry. leave me alone!', maybe tossing her cookies. Yesterday and today she was shrieking in pain - more than an upset stomach.

Since Sasha's a 'free range' Husky, I watch what she brings home.  The only thing I've seen recently was a deer hood / bone.  It'd been dead long enough that there was not attached flesh, just bleached bone so I let her keep that to chew on - she's had it for two-three weeks so I don't consider that to be the culprit of this problem.

Last night she wanted out, so I let her on the front porch where she proceeded to toss up some clear bile.  She wasn't impressed but I brought her back in when it started raining harder.

Yesterday was sunny and 95, today is cloudy (with rain) and 69 ...

(Sat 8/11) After she brought me out of a nap about 14:30, I'd had enough and called Mary - yeh, on a Saturday - got there about 17:00 and Mary checked her over.  We both were considering snake bite but the only snake who is seriously dangerous is a Mojave but had she been bitten by one of them there would have been obvious damage at the puncture site.  The other rattlers are problematic but not often deadly to a larger dog or human.  Mary finally took two x-rays, one on her side and one on her back.  Nothing indicating any blockage - some feces that should be working its way out but she hasn't eaten anything since yesterday morning (something I'd normally not worry too much about but with all the other stuff ...)  

Mary's comment - arthritis in her back (the spurs were obvious in the x-ray) and the sudden weather change were probably hurting her - badly<???>  We were already aware of the arthritis in her ankle so finding it in her spine wasn't too surprising.

She gave her two shots, one that would relieve any vomiting with the side effect that it would sooth her digestive tract (sorta backwards but if it works ...) and another for pain.  Also sent back two cans of turkey and rice ... I can make rice but only have a small fridge so keeping meat past about 24 hours isn't workable.

At the moment she's in her normal spot - of course right under foot - sleeping soundly.

If no change by Monday then we get to take another trip into Alpine for a series of barium x-rays.

She's bit me, she's been a royal pain in the butt but after all the effort I've put into making her a happier, safer dog - I'm not ready to call it quits yet.

Last edited by aljones on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Ugh. Sorry to hear Sasha's travails. Hope all ends well.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 3:03 pm

A bit more on this - I'm chatting another members ears off but think following this up a little might help (me and) others.  

Sasha spent the entire evening and most of the night in the same spot - not moving except for the occasional 'jiggle' to readjust feet.  Sometimes panting, sometime breathing so lightly I really had to look to make sure she was breathing.  Wasn't sure if I was going to have a living dog there all through the evening.  

I crashed about 21:00 - emotionally and physically exhausted.  Couldn't sleep, seems as if something woke me every couple of hours, at 03:00 I went back to bed assuming I was going to have to find someone to dig me a hole (in soggy, wet, hard ground.)  Avalanche and Sky woke me at 07:30 because they wanted out and when I glanced toward my computer desk - no Sasha!!

Sometime after 03:00 she'd moved from the computer desk to her normal sleeping hole at the head of my bed (a couch).  She didn't come out when the others wanted out but at least she looked up at me when I checked on her.

A little while later she went to the door, so we took a walk - urine, dark but not bloody - but still no feces.  Offered her about a heaping teaspoonful of the canned rice and turkey - turned her nose up at it at first but then decided maybe it was worth eating.  I've offered a little more off and on through the morning and she's eating (this is like the first time in three days that she has and she's never been one to pass on food!)

A while ago I took her out again, again darkish urine (normally she's the Yellow River) still no feces. We went for a short stroll - she tires easily and I don't want to push her limits - hoping that walking around might help move some fecal material along - no such luck.

There is no apparent physical reason she should be going through this!  And I think not having any idea what's going on is wearing on me - no, I know it is.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Al, the dark urine is dehydration .. Can you maybe get some fluid into her, might also help with defecation. Maybe spoon feed some water into the side her mouth?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Mary and I were talking about that since we went to Alpine at about 15:00 and didn't get back home till after 20:00 with no water and seemingly no interest in water.  I always carry a jug of water and a dish in the car and I've been told before that the bowl is empty! Add to that she's been sleeping<?> for hours at a time, not moving, not anything so she hasn't been getting the water she normally would have.

She'll often stand out in her pool and drink, but I've cut that out since I've had a pretty heavy green algae form and want to make sure that's not part of the problem - so she gets to drink from the common bowl in the house.

I have to keep reminding myself that this has been less than 72 hours and the gradual improvement I'm seeing is encouraging.

Little things:  I'd go into the kitchen and I'd have a shadow waiting for me to drop something (well, two actually - my two "S's"  While she's been down she doesn't want to go much of anywhere - but she loves food so this has been a surprise (indication of how well she doesn't feel)
When I rattle the dog food bag getting food out, she'd be right there.  I always feed her first so she's out of the way when I feed the other two (still somewhat food aggressive.)  Now she could care less.  But she did come out of the corner when I woke up from my nap and started to get food ready for the other two.  Progress (Oh I hope!!)

In between that paragraph and this, I gave her the rest of the can of dog food we've been working on today - about a 1/4 of a can and she didn't eat all of it but most of it.  Went outside and her urine is a good bright yellow - normal for her; and she squatted and gave me a quarter sized ball of feces.  No struggle to produce, so not constipated just not much there it seems.  Odd color but then I normally feed her kibble not turkey and rice ...

Maybe now I can stop looking at her and wondering if she's going to be alive in an hour ... it's been a rough couple of days on both of us!!

I'm glad I'm not one of those people who can look down and say "It's only a dog!" but sometimes it's rough ...

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Oh how I know. A while back, I was sure any getting zrd. He losing the hair under his jaw. But then, I thought logically... Just the hair, no inflammation, no weeping, broken skin. Just hairless. Then looked at his slow feed bowl that he'd been using for months now. Hmm... He has to really get his snout there... Changed bowls, s well later, fur status appear. Glad I didn't run to vet on that one!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 am

My "diagnosis" in retrospect is that she was probably dealing with a pretty severe intestinal virus - much more than a tummy ache.  One of the 48 or 72 hour varieties.  She was in enough pain that I didn't want to take the chance of it developing into something worse, even though I didn't know what it was.  My advice here has often been "If you don't know what it is, go to a vet!" Sagely I took my own advice.

She's moving around but doesn't have a lot of energy; she's asked to go out and has watered about every bush / shrub she could find.  At least for the time being it looks as if this crisis is over.  Maybe I can get a good nights sleep tonight!!

ETA: The dog from across the road with whom she sometimes play is fine. If it's really a stomach virus of some kind why haven't any other animals gotten it?

Last edited by aljones on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 1:22 am

So sorry Sasha isn't feeling well, Al. I really hope she gets to her old self soon.

The pool water, Al, could very well be the culprit. I've known many dogs get severely sick from drinking the water in them, well...it's the suspect anyways. But if you really think about it, besides just being possibly with algae in it, they are also drinking water that their paws are in,anything those paws have picked up running around. Then, the plastics they are made out of, who knows what's in them, then they sit out in the sun day in day out, they break down, heck, even plastic water bottles for humans will leach poisons in the water from simply sitting in a car. I don't know, it's just something I've always been Leary of and make sure my two don't have any contact with, Mishka's stomach has had enough issues in her little life. Anyways, I know Sasha's issues have big question marks as to the why's, and you may never know exactly what caused it, I just wish you guys the best and send my positive thoughts she gets better soon.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 6:02 pm

I'm following this up since I don't know what's going on or much of anything. Sasha will eat a little, but it seems as if it's more to please me than because she's hungry.
I miss her giving me a hard time when I go to the kitchen, she's always been there waiting for me to drop something or to just give her something, just because.
She'll let me know when she wants out, but there's no walking around, she finds her place, does her job and wants back in so she can lay down again.
I don't understand what's going on, I don't know how to help her and it really hurtss to see her like this.
Needless to say, I guess, I'm really depressed - she's been a pain in the butt, but she's my pain. By best guess she's only 8 to 9 years old, way too soon for this type of failing.

Just for the comment, my emergency bill at the vet was $255.28. That was an emergency call on a Saturday, 2 x-rays, medication and Mary's time. I'd be glad to pay more if we could get my girl back in business with her normal attitude!!

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Al, just seen this......Did Mary do any blood draws? She is at the age, and has been overweight, that maybe this is kidney related/diabetes? I don't know, I surely do not want to upset you, nor have you take on more of a vet bill. I also know it is a ways to go to get to the Vet out your way. But I don't like hearing a friend of mine is down and it's because their pup isn't feeling well. She is spayed, right? I am pretty sure you have mentioned that she is. To put it in perspective, I was shocked to find out that Miya will be 6 in November, and in human years she is about 50-55 years old. Sasha being 8 or 9 makes her even older, we all know that 8 or 9 is not old, but some issues sadly will come up. Just some ideas if she is still not feeling well in another day or two, I would make sure she gets as much liquid as possible, even if you have to feed her human meat or other stuff safe for a dog, to get more fluid vs just kibble alone. Hugs my friend and positive thoughts for you and Sasha.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 pm

I feel like a yoyo - I have no idea from moment to moment what to expect!!!

Mary does blood work every year when we go in for physical and needed shots,  her reasoning for not doing blood work this time is that her past years of blood work are consistent.  Always a tad off on kidney but well within the norm and she observed that had she seen an x-ray earlier it would have been understandable, Sasha's kidney is a bit enlarged.

At about 14:00 she was dead to the world under my chair - no dreams, just a real solid sleep (I guess)  Her breathing rate changes dramatically, everything from hard panting to very slow low breathes and everything in between.
20:00 she was playing with the other two and then she wanted out and proceeded to drag me around the back yard spritzing every thing she could drag me to.

As I said, I seriously don't know what to expect one minutes she looks like she's on her death bed and the next she's playing with cats.  We came in and I left her leash on her; cat decided the leash was a good play toy so he hooked it; Sasha looks around and pounces at the terribly frightened <oh sure> cat.  Both my cats love on her, rub against her.  The black one spends most of his time outside and when ever she comes out he comes running - yeh, they're "terribly frightened"

What will the morrow bring? I have no blithering idea!!!

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm completely confused. Last evening she was playing with the other pups and the cats and today - other than wanting out this morning - she's curled into her corner again. Didn't want anything to eat, drank a little ... but basically she's out of it again.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 pm

she doesn't have a kidney stone, does she? Know that will put a person in a way. You might be fine for a bit and then it moves and the world is your enemy. It's been a while though at this point. I would have expected her to pass it by now if she was going to. Or the vet to have spotted it.

My in-laws dog was having issues a few weeks. Would be at death's door in the morning but would perk up as the day would go on. They did a ton of tests but ended up being worms that were somehow missed. Wormed her and she's magically better. Sometimes stuff just gets missed. Sometimes it's simple and we over think it.

Kenzi hasn't been eating much lately either. Hormones for her and a tooth I believe is cracked. Worth checking teeth as well. Been wetting her food and she's starting to eat better rather than fighting me on it.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Actually, when we looked at the x-rays it seems as if most of what we saw was a lot of black and dark grey.

There were, surprising to me, no sharp white points; bone came in at a shade of grey, kidney & liver a darker shade of grey and we were looking for anything that might be causing this. The other kidney, on the other side of her abdomen would have been shadowed by the one we saw, but I'd think we would have seen a point if there were a stone on either side.

I'm afraid we looked more at the side shot because Mary was looking at the obvious arthritis in her back. I remember that best but there was just as much to (not) see on the 'frontal.' Mary was specifically looking for bone shards from the deer hoof or anything else that might have been a problem and we saw nothing.

Interesting consideration - I've been watching her bowel movements pretty closely to see if anything is odd and I haven't seen anything that resembles worms or eggs. The only thing I've noticed is that the normal dark feces is quite a bit lighter and looser (not diarrhea.)

There's a part of me that wants to take her up to the Vet and ask Mary to keep her for a couple of days - that would let her perform more test as needed; there's another part of me that is so afraid that she's going to die and if she does I want it to be with me, at home not surrounded by a bunch of strangers. If it weren't 1.5 hours from her to Mary's office, I'd consider it but ....

My apologies, living where and how I do, I really have no one to talk to and I'm afraid I'm using the forum as a sounding board for my thoughts. If it's not obvious, I'm scared!

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 am

Al, talk all you want Smile We are here for you and your pups <3 Please keeps us posted.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 9:04 am

Sound away. It's never easy finding a needle in a haystack. Especially on a short time line it feels like. I think if you were to leave her for observation your vet would call you if anything became alarming to the point of you needing to be there with her. Maybe have a camping trip closer to the office while she's there so you can go visit often and be close should something change.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Last evening she decided she was hungry so I started with a can of Alpo that I had on hand.  Put some in her bowl, she ate it, so I put some more in ... stopped when we reached the bottom of the can.  

Of course after that and a walk around outside she headed into her corner and that was the last I saw of her for the night (er, figuratively)

Got up this morning and she's crashed in the middle of the living room floor - back to back with Avalanche ... ???? I got a cup of coffee, she wanted out so we took our morning constitutional.  Pretty normal except she upchucked some of last nights dinner (well juiced) definitely not the whole can she ate. (probablly shouldn't have let her have so much, but I was just glad she was eating Sad )

As we were walking everything got watered - as normal.  I offered some food when we came back in and it was 'nope!'  Now, prior to all this, I'd been feeding her a 1/2 cup of kibble in the morning and another cup in the evening so this "I'm not hungry ..." has been worrisome.  Especially since she's always liked her food (or Sky's or Avalanche's.)

She's acting better, she's been moving around a bit during the day rather than just laying in her corner or under my feet - that's an improvement, if it holds through to tomorrow ...

Offered her part of a can of Alpo, trying to keep it easier on her stomach - which she, of course, refused.  I dropped a couple of kibble on the floor when I was getting the other dogs food and she sniffed and decided to eat that so, okay - if that's the way you're gonna be - I put about 1/2 cup of kibble on the floor and she ate it.  Turned her nose up at the kibble yesterday ... guess I'll let Avalanche have the Alpo, he needs the weight anyway.

Took an evening walk and she decided she had a little more energy so we wandered a bit more and she watered everything she went past.  The boy from across the street is gonna run dry trying to keep up with her!  She took a very nice healthy dump while we were out - looked good (mostly) nothing in it that looked suspicious except for a slight coating of slime.  That's not normal for her, but since her tummy's been acting up and there wasn't a lot and it wasn't black (or bloody), I'll accept that for the time being.

She's acting better, I'm feeling better - now just let's see what tomorrow brings. If she starts feeling / getting better, I'm still thinking about sending her north to let Mary do a full workup on her and see if anything wrong comes back.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 am

Hopefully it's just a hormonal swing or something in the air that has been bothering her and it is starting to pass. Kenzi has fought eating for two weeks now but yesterday she finally ate both meals without coercion. Fingers crossed she keeps getting better.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 am

Hormonal, well she's a female with a cantankerous attitude and I'd better shut up before I get myself in more trouble.

"In the air ..." we have had a front go through that has pretty much coincided with this episode with her.  A couple of inches of rain over three/four days and considerably lower temperatures.  When a front comes through with a large change in barometric pressure, my wrist acts up (sore and stiff; broke it on a motorcycle several years back.) This was a wet / cool front but not much pressure change.  We know she has arthritis, Mary's manipulation of Sasha's wrist on 08/12 confirmed that and the x-rays show arthritis on her back.  As the weather has gradually warmed back up to our normal temps (95/76 -vs- 72/60 [high/low]) she seems to be feeling better.  Coincidence or ...??  Who knows.

Avalanche is always my demanding pup when it comes to wanting out in the morning.  When I let him out front, I saw where Sasha (Presumably) had upchucked a little of the food she ate last night - this is getting to be a habit.  Again not all the 1/2 cup she ate but a couple of tablespoons worth; and again, nothing to be seen in the vomitus - just a bit of gruel.

Sky's upside down in her corner, she doesn't like to go out till there's shade on the porch and Sasha just wandered out of her corner so it's time for me to ....

go find some coffee ... I'm not sure *I'm* awake yet.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Glad to hear things are , if slowly. Ami took 3-4 days to start eating again, I'm highly suspicious that new bag of totw, he's still nibbling on grass more than usual , too. He also upchucked the clear stuff again on Tues evening up by my garden.

You know, Al.. I've said before that the only time my guys get appetite problems is the change from winter to spring and summer to fall. Not sure what it is but, here I am again. But you're so much closer to the equator I wouldn't think that would be an issue. Don't know if it's daylight length... Actually, just occurred, those are high allergy seasons Ami does occasionally wheeze during allergy times...hmm.

With Sasha, I wonder if the initial lack of appetite was pain from arthritis and continued so side effect of the meds she was given? Also, I know with Ami, weirdly, line my son Josh when he was younger, would not want to eat once had too long without food. That's why I started giving Ami a quarter cup of kibble at bedtime. And, if Sasha on any sort of NSAID for her arthritis, those drugs are notorious for stomach distress.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Al, I still have morning brain here too, went back thru the thread, I asked if Sasha was spayed? Can't find if you said yes or no, I do assume she is. Miya is that way when she goes into heat, similar to Kenzi, but way worse. The only other time she was like that was when she had Tape worm and that means it may take a while for you to even see that. Has Sasha been eating any bunnies in the last few months? My only other conclusion is the weather change and her arthritis. Keep us updated please.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Renee, yep she's spayed - that's what initially started the problem with weight. She was nicely shaped (under all the hair) but after being spayed she put on weight. The last time at the vet with a good weight was 63 when I took her in for the emergency visit she'd collapsed in the pool so was soaking wet and weighed in at 66 (three plus pounds of water in all her hair ...? probably) I'd like to have her lose some more but not by not eating - that seems a little drastic.

Your question about bunnies, Renee, she was eating something small the other day and by the time I could get close enough to look, most of whatever it was was gone. Might have been a rat / small mouse - surprisingly our 'varmints' are normally pretty clean. When I lived in California we couldn't eat the rabbits because they were either rabies carriers or wormy, the rabbits down here are supposed to be edible.

Amy, the only way I've been able to the Previcox into her was by slipping it into her food. Sorry, she's had my hand / arm in her mouth enough, I'm not pushing the issue!! So side effects from that isn't the problem ...

I talked with Mary about the possibility of teeth problems and the only way she's going to look in Sasha's mouth is if she's sedated - I don't blame her Smile

If I don't see some decent improvement over the weekend, I'll probably take her up and get blood work / feces / urine checked and see if there's any problems there.

At the moment, we're all miserable. We got quite a bit of rain while it was cooler and now that it's warming up the humidity is dragging us all down. I have three dogs panting lightly ... it's too warm!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22 ... 39  Next