It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Husky Owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elle Faulkner
Newborn
Newborn
Elle Faulkner

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 12:18 am

Hey everyone, I have a beautiful 4 month old puppy husky named Odis. I graduated and recently started working full time, my mom thankfully has been able to help me out with watching him during the day but I don't know how much longer she will help me. I will be able to take him out before work and on my lunch break but what do you do? Do you feel your pup is fine in a crate all day? He cries when I put him in there and I don't know how long it goes on for but he knows when I am getting ready for work and I can tell he is so sad. Does it get any easier?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 12:40 am

Ella, while I'm retired many of our members here are regular work-a-day folks and they manage to leave their dogs for the day ...

An adult dog should be able to handle being crated during the day - as long as they get some real exercise before you "put them up" for the day. Just being allowed out to potty doesn't qualify as real exercise.

Since I know you did your homework before you brought your little one home, you knew that having a Husky was going to mean a lot of "maintenance." Unlike a lab or spaniel, for example, who generally are happy being home alone a restless Husky is apt to cause problems - noise being one of them, but not the major one by a long shot.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask anything about your pup you'd like. We're not the worlds busiest Husky forum but we have people here who have decades of experience with the breed and if you ask, I'm pretty sure you'll get a good answer.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 11:00 am

As long as you don't have close neighbors such as in an apartment that will have issues with the noise then I wouldn't worry about it. At 4 months he might still have a little trouble holding it for a full 8 hour work day (9 if you have much travel time) but if you are coming home on lunch to let him out then it shouldn't be a problem at all. Mine are in most of the day. I walk them in the morning before I go to work, they are in until lunch but sometimes they are in all day until the evening time, and then they get a big walk when I get home. They are adults. You have to set your exercise to be appropriate for your pups age of course. I often give mine something longer lasting to work on when I first leave such as a cow ear or frozen kong. Gives them something to focus on for right after I leave when the separation anxiety is the worst. Between the walk and the chew they will usually sleep the rest of the day.

Welcome to the forum!

Newborn
Newborn
Dan Pallares

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 7:05 pm

I am a new husky owner and looking for any advice about her ears popping up. She is 4 months old and we love her and she is part of the family. She is beautiful and the ears are too big of a thing but just curious if there is Still hope. They do stick up sometime but not all the time.
New Husky Owner Siberi10
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Typically puppies lose their puppy teeth at around 6 months ... now what's that got to do with her ears, right? Most puppies will have ears that are up and down until they start to teeth, then they'll go floppy. After they've teethed they should go up and stay up (unless she lays them back, of course).

Back to top Go down
Dan Pallares
Newborn
Newborn
Dan Pallares

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Thank you for your quick reply, she is teething a lot which now makes sense.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 9:06 pm

By the way, that's a really nice picture of her, you should (gods, don't I hate "should") let us see more of her!

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Before my current two, I had 4 other huskies. None of them did the ear thing...til my current boy, Kohdi. I was worried, I thought he broke one of his ears because at first it was only one, but then the other one flopped and, not gonna lie, he looked ridiculous, lol. But, when they both popped back up, they stayed up and he's got some really nice ears now Smile

BEAUTIFUL puppy you have!
Back to top Go down
Bear'smom
Newborn
Newborn
Bear'smom

Female Join date : 2017-07-21

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptyFri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 pm

This is really interesting information about how their ears can go up, down and then up again!
Back to top Go down
huskybaby
Puppy
Puppy

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 9:40 pm

That's a awesome dog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Husky Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky Owner   New Husky Owner Empty

Back to top Go down

New Husky Owner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1