It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

It ends eventually, right?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 8:46 pm

get the knock off at walmart! and a shed n blade and a rake, those are my 3 go to brushes.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Shedzilla, Blade and Rake, and Slicker brush and Appa stays in pristine condition.

Here's a photo of the shedzilla. The shape of the teeth are much gentler than the furminator style teeth in my opinion.

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 Oster_ShedZilla_De_Shedding_Brush
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks!!! I'll be looking for that! I'm not sure walmart has it here, but hey, maybe I can find it online.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 pm

I use a Furbuster (Furminator knockoff that is pretty much the same thing only cheaper) and I do consider it worth the investment if it works for your dog's coat. They don't work for every coat so some have better success with them than others. I still prefer my undercoat rake over the Furminator. My best tools are my force dryer and my undercoat rake. But my Furbuster comes in at #3.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

I tried the shedzilla on both my 2 and it doesn't do very well....Furminator for Ginger and a rake for Storm. Their undercoats are different from each other so different brushes in my household. When Storm sheds, he sheds in clumps and you can pluck it from him in sizes as big as cotton balls sometimes. If you are wearing a long sleeve shirt and went to pet Ginger and did a pass half way down her back, your sleeve by your wrist will be covered in her fur.

It's been a little on the warm side this winter so Ginger has been slightly shedding through winter so far. I have a feeling Storm is going to start in a couple of months, maybe sooner.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Oh, I forgot about my HV dryer! Yes, that works well also!

Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 pm

I guess I'm clueless but I have no idea what the HV dryer is. Keimo sheds like Storm... clumps.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:07 pm

HV = high velocity

I use the Furminator which I feel does a great job but I also use a shedding blade which both Adobo & Biko prefer.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 pm

These work really well. I needed to take some of the fluff off of Elara before a show and a friend let me borrow one of these:
It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 TP017_600X600

It's called a stripper tool. Razz

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 pm

Cali started a little bit here and there, been brushing her every now and then just to get her used to it...so far so good.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 am

SaraB wrote:
These work really well. I needed to take some of the fluff off of Elara before a show and a friend let me borrow one of these:
It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 TP017_600X600

It's called a stripper tool. Razz

I got a similar one from Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professional-Grooming-Undercoat-Medium/dp/B00061MWJK

It works well on Chili but not all on Frosti - they have totally different coats! It's awesome having this thread, I need a shedding blade, we have everything else - incl. a furminator attachment for the vacuum!
It's funny when people compliment our dogs, say they've always wanted one and then ask "Do they shed much?". affraid
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:59 am

I really don't like the furminator. I just can't see it as a good for their coat. But to each their own I guess. I also like the zoom groom for Siku's shorter coat. It works on Elara too, but not as well since her coat is a bit longer. And of course my long pin pin brush. Oh and I can't wait! I'm getting a HV drier in about a week! So excited! It was my payment (plus a big tool box I'm going to use for dog grooming stuff) for laying down sod for two days. That was torture!

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:11 am

It's starting AGAIN!?! Sabaka just finished his first real blow. I guess I've got the "shed twice a year for 6-months each time" type of husky. It was weird how his coat blew... First, his hips, then his sides, then his front legs, then his neck and finally (just when I thought he was done)... his TAIL!

We have used a slicker brush, but a plain, old rake seems to work really well for him.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:

It's funny when people compliment our dogs, say they've always wanted one and then ask "Do they shed much?". affraid

I always tell people that no, she doesn't shed. That term doesn't nearly cover it - its like living inside of a cottonball.

We also have a Zoom Groom that's great. It takes longer than other brushes, but its the only brush that Ava doesn't throw a fit over. If you come at her with anything - furminator, rake, slicker, even a comb - she'll lay down and scream and howl like she's dying. With the Zoom Groom, she mostly holds still and doesn't argue as much. I had her at a dog wash that had a tiny pet store in the back room and the manager actually came out to check on us because of the sounds she was making when I was grooming her It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 1625187496

Oh, and the HV dryers are the BEST! Ava's weird and loves to play with the vacuum, especially the hose, so naturally she loves the dryer too. Weird little Ava...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 2:13 pm

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 IMG_20120119_072617
ready for picking!!!
jack starts on his hind legs then it move to the shoulders then the top and then tail....

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Kale hasn't started yet, beginning to think he's a once a year guy Razz
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Neo was blowing his coat for 2 months before we got him in June and continued for another month. Then shed more till about September. I Hope he is done for awhile!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:26 pm

This is just part of her hind end...much more to go.

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 2012-02-11110608
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Mwuahahaha all you people and your shedding huskies!!!! One year strong without a coat blow!

Now since I said something it's gonna happen soon Sad

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Dude, you really just jinxed yourself there. You're going to have the worlds most epic coat blow in the next couple weeks now Razz

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Niraya wrote:
Mwuahahaha all you people and your shedding huskies!!!! One year strong without a coat blow!

Now since I said something it's gonna happen soon Sad

Not even one????? This is Willow's second in a year and a half.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Blaze has been blowing his coat for a couple weeks now and now it had turn cold here.. lol!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:29 pm

I know I did Meredith :p

And not even one, Mindy Razz. but I leave out details. Bella was too young last year - she was only like four months in the summer and 8 months when fall rolled around lol. She'll be 12 months old on the 17th of this month. So I'm hoping she'll blow her coat this spring and she'll fill out - because right now she has a flat coat and I'm really hoping that she doesn't keep a flat coat.

It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 pm

ive been battling the blow for what seems like months now...haha Sad nikki also starts at her back legs then migrates up to her neck then tail last
Back to top Go down
Ant&Lisa
Newborn
Newborn
Ant&Lisa

Male Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Oh this is great, this where i feel that myself and my family belong on this forum.. Very Happy
nanook started moulting part way through january,..And he will probs stop around december..
Im just kidding, but he does seem to go for quite awhile..there is fur on this keyboard as i type..lol

we have all solid floors downstairs, either wood or vinyl called karndean, which its very easy to keep clean, but im sure like everyone, we right now have to vac up twice a day, or we get tumbleweeds of husky fur everywhere...

But i would not swap it for anything....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It ends eventually, right?   It ends eventually, right? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

It ends eventually, right?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next