It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lots of Raw Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 6:32 pm

We started with necks. Necks and backs seem to be much softer than wings and thighs. Im not sure about breasts, we haven't fed them but they are very expensive. Make.sure you get organs im the diet too. Is there a local pet store that carries any of the pre.made? Blue ridge beef is good, I like.omas for turkey mixes, and I have a lot of co ops in my area. Good luck
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:55 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
We started with necks. Necks and backs seem to be much softer than wings and thighs. Im not sure about breasts, we haven't fed them but they are very expensive. Make.sure you get organs im the diet too. Is there a local pet store that carries any of the pre.made? Blue ridge beef is good, I like.omas for turkey mixes, and I have a lot of co ops in my area. Good luck

Thanks for your help! I didn't see any necks in the meat shop I went to Sad . What kind of organs do your pups enjoy?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:02 pm

I started with chicken quarters and split chicken breasts. I mainly stuck with quarters more because they cost half of what the breasts cost. I don't feed necks very often.

Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I started with chicken quarters and split chicken breasts. I mainly stuck with quarters more because they cost half of what the breasts cost. I don't feed necks very often.

Do you mostly feed them just chicken quarters?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 10:39 pm

We can't feed chicken, and have yet to find quarters for duck or turkey. But we do get duck carcasses for .60/lb.

I wish we could feed chicken!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 am

Do any of you ever add canned fish? We are considering putting canned salmon tuna in. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:12 am

Juturna67 wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:

Do you mostly feed them just chicken quarters?

For my sibe, he gets chicken quarters more than anything else but we do rotate plenty of other parts and other protein sources. As for an individual meal, if the quarter is a lb or more (his daily minimum is as pound) that his meal for the day. If it is less than a pound I add something else to reach the 1 lb min, whether its a bit of organ or a neck or even a bit of dehydrated/freeze-dried raw.

Megan, there's nothing wrong with adding fish to the diet (canned or not). I would caution that you know the source of the fish if you feed it in higher quantities so that you don't risk a harmful level of mercury build up in their systems.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:51 am

I ended up with Adding sardines - only 1 - 2x a week just for the oils and to add variety.

Val, I read somewhere that it was not beneficial for a dog to have the artificial form of Vitamin E - Di-Alpha, I believe it is called?

I accidentally picked that up and its not returnable - I suppose I could just take it myself, but do you think it is okay? If not, I will refrain from you using it. Until I know, we will stick to the flaxseed/coconut oil rotation.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 am

I don't know about the Vitamin E thing, I don't supplement that as I've never heard of a particular reason for it. Kristina supplements Vitamin E, perhaps she can help you out on that one.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 am

I use vitamine E as an every other day supplement. I rotate it with fish oil. Buying human grade ive never purchased that kind, but I also have never heard nor read of that.

Personally, for my own dogs- coconut oil, fish oil, and vitamin e are great supplements for us. We live in a tropical climate with lots of heat and sun exposure. I feel these 3 are a great addition to their diets for extra help with their skin and coats.

All over the Internet you will find contradicting advice and opinions, especially about supplementation. But this has worked for us well for the past 3 years. Find what works for you and your dogs Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 2:18 am

Do you guys ever fast the fur kids?
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:34 am

What do you guys think of this supplement?
http://naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/DigestaVite-Plus.html
http://naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/omega36&9-oil-for-dogs-horses.html
I was told that it is quite good and I only need to use these two supplements for raw feeding.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:32 am

I fast maybe about once every other week. Nothing set in stone... I will always fast if someone's tummy isn't feeling too hot.

The first supplement may be nice but I can't see using the 2nd. I supplement with Fish oil or coconut oil and vitamin E...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 1:58 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

If I allow a gorge feed then I will fast the next day. I also fast them if they have an upset stomach, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

I feel bad doing a true fast after a gorge day, so I do still give treats and a tiny bit of food on their "fast" day.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Titus&Lycan wrote:
What do you guys think of this supplement?
http://naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/DigestaVite-Plus.html
http://naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/omega36&9-oil-for-dogs-horses.html
I was told that it is quite good and I only need to use these two supplements for raw feeding.

They both look decent to me.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

If I allow a gorge feed then I will fast the next day. I also fast them if they have an upset stomach, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

I feel bad doing a true fast after a gorge day, so I do still give treats and a tiny bit of food on their "fast" day.

I feel bad too - especially with Cato. Delilah could handle it, but he is very young.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lots of Raw Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5