It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lots of Raw Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 am

Do you feed them raw eggs? I heard that's good for their coat.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 1:27 am

I haven't started to yet, but I will. Not sure if I will fed them to them raw - sounds REALLY messy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 4:52 am

Megan, just crack the egg over their bowl with their meat and they will clean it up spotless for you, haha. I've never had to rinse egg out of their bowls!

I really need to go back to raw 100%, but I need to get a freezer first. I'm also one of those people who jumped into raw and just threw random meats and organs at Koda when he was around 7 months. I had no idea what I was doing but he ended up fine! But over the past 4 years I've really tried to learn how to do it "properly" and not worrying about if your dog is getting all the nutrients it needs really is important.
It's really expensive for me to feed raw though as I have to feed lame, buffalo, bison, venison, duck.. dumb dogs and their needs for expensive protein, lol.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 5:20 am

I completely understand. Lol, Delilah actually did really well on turkey tonight and I got duck necks also. She will get some tomorrow. Thank god there are some awesome groups around he who do bulk orders and I can get relatively affordable pricing.

How do you factor an egg into what they have eaten? I'm worried it might not sit well with Delilah and her chicken intolerance, but if it works for Cato it may help to keep the cost down on his end because he requires more to eat than Delilah.

This is a lot of learning, but I don't mind. Keeps me busy.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 6:03 am

The egg shells are meant to be really good for them too, all the calcium in the shells.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 6:10 am

mheath0429 wrote:

How do you factor an egg into what they have eaten? I'm worried it might not sit well with Delilah and her chicken intolerance, but if it works for Cato it may help to keep the cost down on his end because he requires more to eat than Delilah.

Both my dogs have chicken intolerance and thrive just fine on eggs.
And as mentioned you can give them the eggshell too. I just crumble it.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for the help Heather! Smile
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 am

We will just slightly crack the egg, and let the dogs figure out how to get into them. They eat the inside, but rarely eat the shell. I will mention that egg is likely to loosen the stools, so be prepared for that by feeding a little extra bone, or just watch for the "I need to go out" signal.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 11:32 am

Good news, we found a BRB distributor here Smile Prices aren't too bad. Between that and mypetcarnivore.com, we are gonna save some money. Delilah will be around 1.06/day Cato is about 1.36/day Not too bad whatsoever.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Awesome, yeah and for the amounts you'll see what you need to adjust on as time goes by.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:13 pm

As far as the egg goes, we will sometimes just put whole egg in Dante's bowl. he LOVES the shells, and will eat the shell before the egg. He isn't crazy about the organs so so far I have had to force feed, however this weekend I think I will try putting them in a blender with some ground beef. I've tried hiding them in things, covering them in pb or honey, cooking them, cooking them in pb or honey...Picky dog. he just KNOWS lol
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Amanda, we use a ground which is inclusive of organs and beef. The dogs are much more eager to eat that.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:34 pm

So, when I feed the egg, would I then deduct from their daily amount of food?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Amanda, we use a ground which is inclusive of organs and beef. The dogs are much more eager to eat that.

Thats what we used yesterday with Delilah - not a single complaint. I also got Dried Lamb Lung treats - I figured it would be a nice way to supplement.

We got duck feet too..Not sure if those are good for anything, but they seem to like them.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah the ground we used is natural mix which is beef but also has tripe, liver, and heart. It's about 20% of their diet.

Megan I think I would count eggs as more of a supplement than a part of daily intake but I rarely feed eggs.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 pm

hmm okay. I only wonder because they are very high in protein.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:05 am

Delilah just finished dinner - duck necks Smile I cracked a raw egg over it and she loved it. Egg was gone first.

Should I give her one everyday for all of the nutrients or just a few times a week.

Another note, I found a place very close to us who sells Wholistic Canine Complete - We are gonna try it out. Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Bump
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Personal preference would be just a few times a week. I'd rather incorporate It with a rotation with other goodies (we rotate eggs, chicken feet, green tripe, and some sort of fish) throughout the week.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Kristina, you are so much help.

I am lucky because I found quite a few co ops and option in our area and we can get BRB. Which I am excited for because the venison is really affordable. I'm just afraid to order before we get our freezer.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Yeah for our BRB orders we can only order once a month and we have to order by the case, so we need our freezer! Lol

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 am

Pretty much what we are dealing with here. We should find a freezer in teh next week, so we would have it in time for an order.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm

I give egg as a supplement as well, in addition to their daily portions. Egg gives my sibe gas though so I don't give it as much as I used to. I used to give my dogs egg several times per week, sometimes every other day. I feed high bone content so I don't include the shell for my pack.

I will have to check out this mypetcarnivore when I get home from vacation, never heard of it before. Got my interest now...

Meghan, feel free to post pics in the raw feeding picture thread over in the raw feeding forum. I love seeing pics of dogs eating as nature intended. Smile

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks for popping in Val. We are trying a lot of new things now.

Is it strange for dogs to only eat as much raw as they think they need? Delilah very rarely will finish her entire morning meal. She eats about half and then is satisfied, but she eats her entire dinner. I have noticed that there is a much longer span between breakfast and dinner than dinner and breakfast. When they are distracted they don't get as hungry, but Cato demands his dinner pretty early, because he gets bored.

Sorry about that novel I just wrote you, but have you ever experienced this?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Cheyenne would show little interest in breakfast and only would eat dinner most days. We switched to once daily feeding pretty quickly after starting raw.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lots of Raw Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next