It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lots of Raw Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Trying to decide if I should be worried -

Cato just swallowed an entire turkey Duck neck whole. I mean he crunched it once and then down the hatch.

I tried to hold it but the little shit ripped it out of my hand.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 am

Is it okay to only feed raw a few days out of the week?

edit: I actually just fed her a piece of meat with a bone in it. She just licked it and I had to cut it into small pieces for her to eat it.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 am

I wouldn't be overly worried, Megan. But do keep an eye on him to see that all is normal.

Juturna, feeding raw a few days a week is perfectly fine.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:26 pm

yeah, he didn't seem to care. It's quite a few hours later and everything is normal, I did cut the necks into smaller sections though and took out any pork/beef necks I had in there. I don't want him to get any ideas.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Rodeo has done this in the past and has come to the conclusion that it's not a comfortable feeling... He doesn't do it anymore but I freaked the first time he did lol

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 pm

My worry is that Cato wont stop, he does it with kibble too.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm

I would hold it then while he eats until he stops the gulping. Use a word like 'easy"or "slow". Toput a word to it. Rodeos is easy.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Yeah - maybe I should have yesterday. Chris is gonna help me tonight, because I think it might take two of us!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:20 pm

Alright, i did purchase coconut oil - 16 oz for 11.00 - I'm not sure if thats reasonable or not.

I see that it recommends 1 tablespoon/ day 1-4 times. I was wondering what you do for the dogs? I was going to do 1 tbsp every other day and give vitamin E on the off days and then order a giant bottle of fish oil online (mercury free)
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:31 pm

I do 2 fish oil pills (about 700mg omega3) a 400iu vitamin E, and a tbsp coconut oil. Rotation over 3 days. Sometimes I'll throw the coconut oil in with the vitamin E if Im lazy lol

That's about average price I pay for coconut oil.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Seriously, I don't know what I would do without all of the help I've gotten from you guys. Thanks so much.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm

What do you guys think of tripett? I was thinking about ordering this to supplement.
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:35 am

What does Vitamin E, Fish Oil Pills and Coconut oil do for a dog?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 am

I'm assuming the same thing it does for a human - wards off viruses, bacteria and fungi. It also helps to maintain healthy organs and immune systems. It keeps the coat shiny and the eyes healthy. After I asked the same question I did some research. The benefits are astronomical.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:44 am

Juturna67 wrote:
What does Vitamin E, Fish Oil Pills and Coconut oil do for a dog?

Fish oil and vitamin E helps skin, coat, eyes, and joints. Coconut oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties in it. It also helps maintain weight and aids in weight loss, improves digestion, and aids in shiny coats and healthy skin. There are also some studies that say that it increases metabolism. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:02 am

Brooke, you are a plethora of knowledge.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:19 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Brooke, you are a plethora of knowledge.

lol! Only when it comes to animal stuff, everything else? pft nothin' lol I like to research too study lol

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:14 am

mheath0429 wrote:
What do you guys think of tripett? I was thinking about ordering this to supplement.

Our dogs loved it, and it did help them get over their tummy issues a bit, but it is cooked. Most people recommend raw tripe as better than cooked.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:16 am

Ours aren't really having a tummy issues, I just want to supplement with it. i ordered some raw, so we will see how that works out.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Raw tripe? Make sure it's the green tripe, the other regular tripe is just bleached and doesn't offer much nutritionally. TBH- there is a big debate on how much green tripe actually helps (if it does anything) I put It in my rotation and will use it for Rodeo when he's looking on the skinnier side. It's a fatty food.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:07 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Alright, i did purchase coconut oil - 16 oz for 11.00 - I'm not sure if thats reasonable or not.

That's reasonable, I pay $8 for 16 oz.

mheath0429 wrote:
I see that it recommends 1 tablespoon/ day 1-4 times. I was wondering what you do for the dogs? I was going to do 1 tbsp every other day and give vitamin E on the off days and then order a giant bottle of fish oil online (mercury free)

The general rule of thumb for coconut oil for dogs is:
1 tsp per 10 lbs/day OR
1 tbsp per 30 lbs/day
(3 tsp = 1 tbsp by the way)

And it is advisable to start small, like start at 1 tsp and work your way up assuming it agrees with the dogs. My 6.5 lb chi girls get 1/2 tsp of CO, my 50 lb sibe only gets 1 tsp since he is sensitive.

Green tripe is something most people recommend, I can't bring myself to feed it personally...that's just a line I can't cross. silent

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:11 pm

That smelly Val?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:38 pm

That and knowing what it is, I can't stomach having it in my house.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 pm

If you are used to horses/barns its not bad. I wouldn't want to smell it 24/7 but the hype was worse than the smell.

Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 4:15 pm

I am going to go shopping for some meat today. What is a good thing to get to introduce raw feeding to my girl? Is chicken breast okay?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Raw Questions   Lots of Raw Questions - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lots of Raw Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next