It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So, lets face it, Axel is fat.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Empty
PostSubject: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Ok guys, with Isis passing recently, it made me start thinking how hard it would be for me to lose Axel, and in which turn got me thinking about his health, which is good, but lets face it, he is fat. Like, I love him so I'll admit it, he is planetary hehe. But the thing is he doesnt eat much, he doesnt pig out or anything, he just, is very picky and he is a danm scavenger. Trust me when I say he is picky, I can get a pound of hamburger meat and put 4 pieces of dog food in it, and he wont eat it because of the dog food, he really really wont. You could get a t bone steak and smear soft dog food on it and he wont eat it. So does anyone know good diets for the likes of him? I was suggested by the vet to start him on dry food instead of raw but have had no luck, EVER, getting him to eat it. I tried mixing it with pretty much everything thats edible with no luck. He walks everyday with me for a total of 2 hours, so any ideas or suggestions are very much welcomed and needed!

So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Dsc_0911So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Dsc_0912So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Dsc_0913So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Dsc_0915So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Dsc_0916

Last edited by MetalMama on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Oh my gosh he is a big guy! Lol, we can just call him extra "fluffy." Although, I don't really know what to recommend myself Sad
Lycus is 70lbs at 9 months and he eats EVERYTHING! But he isn't actually fat! He's just kind of tall.
Hopefully somebody can give you some good advice!
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:22 pm

lol yes he really is a big boy, the thing is, is he is such a scavenger, I crate him during dinner time, NOT because he takes food but because he will haunt, and I do mean HAUNT the kids and I in the shadows in the background and once someone drops something, no matter how small, he eats it, and Ill record it hopefully today, but when I let him out after everyone eats, OMG he RUNS around in a frenzy looking for anything I may have not swept up. He is worse than a vulture.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Haha, that literally made me laugh out loud. Lycus knows he's not allowed in the kitchen so he will just sit where the kitchen divides into the living room and lick the floor a little hoping he will get a taste. I hope you can record a video of him, that would be funny to see!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:25 pm

do you just need to change up the raw that you are feeding him? maybe its to much? sorry if he will not eat kibble i dont know much about raw.
but good for you on trying to trim him down, i know what that is like as i had to do that when we adopted sierra!

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:30 pm

What are you feeding him now and how much?

So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 pm

he gets in total a day about 3lbs of meats (elk, fish and rabbit and when I can get my hands on it sometimes buffalo) grinded up with about 1lb of organs, puree veggies with fruit mixed in, and he will have a bone sometimes from cow and sometimes from pig. Is this good for him? Everything I go through with Ax is a first time experience for me so if this is a bad diet for him let me know Smile

Last edited by MetalMama on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 pm

OH and sometimes he will be a good boy and earn an ostrich egg with his food.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 pm

So, lets face it, Axel is fat. 1625187496 ohmygod. Those pictures are so bad, I have to get my boy in shape, I know the day will come when I lose him but I will be god damned sure that when that day comes its not because of anything I could have prevented.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Do you know how much he currently weights. I would get a starting weight for him and set a goal for what he should weight in the end..
I weight my two every couple of weeks or so at either petsmart or at the vets to validate that they are not eating too much..

Sounds like you need to cut down on how much he eats to start with.

good luck I do not feed raw to mine everyday but once in a while they get some.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

I wonder if they do that at petbarn? I didnt know petsmart did it either I always assumed you either need to have a scale or go to the vet and have him weight them! Ive tried to get Ax to sit on the scale but he fidgets alot, the last time the vet weighed him, he was 87lbs and his vet had told me that he should eat 13% of his weight and that he needs to eat a total of 11lbs a day of meat/veggie/fruit. It seemed like much to me though...
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Wow that is a lot.. about twice what my two weight. You can weight you dog at bansfield at petsmart has the scale in the front or the area or at least the one I go to does.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Ill call and ask petbarn, theres a petbarn right here close by and I really want to find out his exact weight so know his starting weight and what his goal is to be.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 pm

4lbs of food a day?! That seems like a lot to me! Check this out: http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Axle is such a pretty dog I am glad you are going to work on getting him to a good weight.

Also His collar looks good..
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Axle is such a pretty dog I am glad you are going to work on getting him to a good weight.

Also His collar looks good..
He is my baby boy, he is the first dog I have had in over 12 years and I have to do everything I can to keep him around for a long time still, his weight isnt good and he doesnt have health problems, so I want to keepit that way. I love his collr, but somehow he always manages to slip the tag off for some reason.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 pm

SaraB wrote:
4lbs of food a day?! That seems like a lot to me! Check this out: http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm
1.74 pounds (27.84 ounces) per day total affraid no wonder he is fat jesus christ that is alot isnt it??
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Are you feeding him for what he weight now or for what he should weigh, if he is 87 pounds and should weigh 70 maybe you should feed him what a 70 pound dog would eat.(I am not sure what his "Goal Weight" is.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Umm, yeah 4 lbs a day is a LOT! My boy is 50 lbs and he eats 1 lb of food (raw) per day. I consider 3+ lbs in a single day a gorge and tend to skip feeding (or rather do a very light feed) the day after. Raw fed dogs typically only need approximately 2% of their body weight per day. Keep in mind also that certain meats are higher in fat content and heavier (take beef or lamb for example) than other meats and will put on weight faster even if you were to feed the same amount as a lighter meat (such as poultry or fish).

Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Umm, yeah 4 lbs a day is a LOT! My boy is 50 lbs and he eats 1 lb of food (raw) per day. I consider 3+ lbs in a single day a gorge and tend to skip feeding (or rather do a very light feed) the day after. Raw fed dogs typically only need approximately 2% of their body weight per day. Keep in mind also that certain meats are higher in fat content and heavier (take beef or lamb for example) than other meats and will put on weight faster even if you were to feed the same amount as a lighter meat (such as poultry or fish).
wow, its just crazy now that I know how much he is being over fed! I really want to come up with agood diet for him, from the type of meats to the amounts, first thing in the morning Im going to go take him for a walk to petbarn and get his exact weight!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Yeah Christina, 4lbs a day is way way too much food. Use more chicken and less fattier meats (IE no beef lol) venison has little to no fat really. I would cut him down to at most 2lbs a day. See where that takes you...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 pm

:p heehee Axel is going to be so pissed. I am going to definatly cut down his food and change it up, he isnt picky as long as it is only raw foods, he just wont eat dog food. I am going to make a diet thread for him soon here. keep track of everything and update on progress and such, gotta get my baby boy to healthy weight!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 am

go slowly with the weight loss don't try to take it all off too fast. He sure is gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, lets face it, Axel is fat.   So, lets face it, Axel is fat. Empty

Back to top Go down

So, lets face it, Axel is fat.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1