It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lets talk poop!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 6:34 am

What is your method for keeping the back yard clean, or picking up after Fido on your routine walk?

Are you the efficient one who picks it up hot off the press, and never allows the yard a blemish?

Are you the organized planner, who has Susie and Billy trade off every other week?

Are you the procrastinator who walks out back one day and says "...Damn.", and spends the next hour cleaning up a mine field?

Are you that Go Green activist who just lets it decompose where it was deposited?

Also.

Do you pick it up or leave it on walks? what is your method of bagging? What kind of pooper scooper do you have?

This is all for research so don't hold back! Exclamation

Lets talk poop! 1347041234
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:00 am

I'm between dogs, but in the past I let it decompose in the back yard- my backyard is huge and the only wooded area left in my neighborhood. No one went back there but the pup anyways.

As for on walks, I pick it up all hot and steamy with old newspaper bags and tie them off. I also bring extra bags for stale poops other people have left behind. I wish people just picked up their own- but so it goes Smile
Back to top Go down
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 am

I try to pick up the yard every day or so, I use bags but would love an alternative. luckily Char likes to use the perimeter of the yard so that makes things a bit easier. I always pick up on walks it is the law here, but I would anyways. I don't pickup other dogs poop though, Dot you are a trooper!

Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:22 am

I figure it makes up for the poops I missed haha. She refused to poop when we were looking- she'd even stop mid-poo is she caught us! Makes it a hunt sometimes to find! My mom says it's because she was a little lady... but I could just hear her thinking "mom, no! I worked so hard on that!" lol
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am

I pick it up right after he goes. I carry one of those little bones with poop bags in it. I use them in my own yard, and when I take him for walks. I always pick up after him. I have a pooper scooper too. But it rarely gets used. His poops have been a little too mushy for the pooper scooper lately.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 11:23 am

I prefer a clean yard and do not enjoy stepping on the stinky land mines when I go out into my yard. I do TRY to pick it up hot off the press but with 3 dogs scattered across the yard I don't always catch them in the act. Those times when I miss a poop for whatever reason I will scoop it up with a rake whenever I happen to discover it. When I do pick up freshly deposited stool I will either bag it in a biodegradable poop bag made specifically for dog poo or I will scoop it up with a rake and toss it over the fence into the woods behind our house to decompose naturally. I'd say 50% of the time I bag it and 50% of the time I rake and toss. Hubby almost never picks up dog poo and the few times he does he uses the rake exclusively.

While on walks I always pick it up with a biodegradable poop bag.

These are the poop bags I use:
Lets talk poop! DP1403_600X600

This is the rake I use:
Lets talk poop! 10486_w600h

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm

I use biodegradable pet waste bags - the cheapest ones I find online. I buy the roll to use for the backyard which I pick up at least once a day, and the rolls which I carry on both leashes so I can pick up after them when we're out. I always pick up after them when we're out. If I happen to be caught without a poop bag when we're out walking in the neighborhood, I will knock on the door of the home that's closest to ask for a bag, or go around until I find someone home. Otherwise, I will walk to the nearest place where there are bags and go back to pick it up. If I'm close to home, I'll go home and get a bag and go back to pick it up....All I know is when I did not have dogs and found poop on the side or at the parks and whatnot, I used think it was inconsiderate and somehwat rude - so I simply cannot be that pet owner that will leave their pet waste. That's just me, though.

Puppy
Puppy
shirl51

Female Join date : 2011-09-08

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:35 pm

HI I pick up as soon as he goes in the back yard. We use a pooper scooper there. When we walk him I carry those plastic bags we get from the supermarket and pick it up asap. Here you can get fined if you don't although I know for a fact some neighbors don't pick up after themselves.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 pm

As an environmental science student, I love hearing about people making the effort to be more eco-friendly! Props to you guys Smile
I do want to give a little warning about biodegradable plastics, especially oxo-biodegradable plastics, I hope this isn't too far off topic.. The plastic these poop bags says they are out of us meant to "biodegrade" in the presence of oxygen, hence the "oxo" I assume. However, whether you put them in the trash or in the compost, they usually do not get the oxygen they need to decompose. They also add metals to the plastic to make it more readily decomposable!
There's an argument to be made that while the bags aren't really as ecofriendly as they say, you are composting your poop, and that's really good!
However, often times, when we take into account what these eco-materials are made out of, and the fact that they are made specifically to be thrown away, instead of reusing something, these things aren't so green after all! Just my 2 cents Smile

A clarification- By no means am I an expert on dog poop bags, this is only based on my knowledge of biodegradable plastics and the information on the dogipot website. I haven't looked into this too deeply.

Last edited by Dot on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Well - MOST of the time I clean it up right away...but now that the dogs are on raw, I'm a bit lazier. It just crumbles away.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 pm

I try to clean it up as soon as I see it. My hubby hasn't yet cleaned any, he's still iffy about that (yet he wants me to make sure there's none in the yard Lets talk poop! 1625187496 ) but I always have a bag with me. We live right in front of a park and there's several dog bag boxes around so I always grab a few when I'm out for a walk (they're free!!!) and use those to pick up her poops. I always pick them up on our walks because we live in base housing and I know they'd get upset if we didn't.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Dot wrote:
As an environmental science student, I love hearing about people making the effort to be more eco-friendly! Props to you guys Smile
I do want to give a little warning about biodegradable plastics, especially oxo-biodegradable plastics, I hope this isn't too far off topic.. The plastic these poop bags says they are out of us meant to "biodegrade" in the presence of oxygen, hence the "oxo" I assume. However, whether you put them in the trash or in the compost, they usually do not get the oxygen they need to decompose. They also add metals to the plastic to make it more readily decomposable!
There's an argument to be made that while the bags aren't really as ecofriendly as they say, you are composting your poop, and that's really good!
However, often times, when we take into account what these eco-materials are made out of, and the fact that they are made specifically to be thrown away, instead of reusing something, these things aren't so green after all! Just my 2 cents Smile

A clarification- By no means am I an expert on dog poop bags, this is only based on my knowledge of biodegradable plastics and the information on the dogipot website. I haven't looked into this too deeply.

Interesting!
Just a thought....I would 'hope' that once the bags get picked up by parks and recreation or waste management, it would then get the oxygen required to break the bags down once it reached it's final destination?

Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Well - MOST of the time I clean it up right away...but now that the dogs are on raw, I'm a bit lazier. It just crumbles away.

One of my fav. parts about feeding Stark raw... We have a portion of our hard on the side of our house (locked gates on either side) where we let Stark out to do his business... we don't usually pick it up from there b/c it crumbles away Smile

When we're at a dog park or going out for walk / activities, we pick it up right away.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 pm

I usually pick up poop in the yard about two or three times a week. I only have one pup, so it's not too bad. I use a metal rake and a metal scoop pan thing. It was given to me, so I don't know where you would find one now. As for getting rid of it, I usually toss it over our 6 foot fence into a retention pond out back. Sometimes I bag it. It usually depends how soon the garbage man is coming during that week (I really don't want to smell poop in my garage). I would say 80% toss and 20% in a garbage bag.

On walks, I always bring a plastic grocery bag. I almost NEVER have to use it though because she doesn't poop on walks! I never ever just leave her poop there. I know some people that don't pick it up and I think it's pretty rude/gross. You take the responsiblity of your own companion! lol

It's usually nighttime when I take walks, so I never see anyone else's poop. Although last night I did step into some poop. -.- So irritating. lol
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Poop usually stays in the yard since the kids are like, allergic to fresh air or something. So the back yard is really just the dogs' domain. Every now and then my mom sends someone out to scoop and we just use a shovel. That or she just runs it over with the lawn mower. Gross.

On walks, I always pick it up. I just use the mass produced baggies that clip onto the leash. The way I see it, it's not my lawn and who knows who's going to walk there next, so I clean it up. Just because we don't really use our yard doesn't mean everyone else wants it in theirs. Though, for the most part, my dogs don't poop away from home. I don't know what it is about them. They either poop before we leave or they wait til we get back. I'm pretty sure Callie does this because she's too curious about what's going on to worry about pottying.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 pm

cmanding wrote:
Interesting!
Just a thought....I would 'hope' that once the bags get picked up by parks and recreation or waste management, it would then get the oxygen required to break the bags down once it reached it's final destination?

Composting requires oxygen and heat to really work, especially at the beginning of the process. So, yes the oxygen is present when they get there. It's mostly used up at the beginning, but the bags are marketed as decomposing over 18 months or so- too long. Also, theres evidence that they don't decompose as marketed, even with plenty of oxygen. I believe that many waste management facilities don't consider oxo-biodegradables compostable, mine doesn't. Smile
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 pm

I use the bags on walks and in the back yard. About once a day in the summer or warmer weather and maybe once every 3 days in the cold because it freezes and is easy to pick up lol
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 5:02 pm

I live in an apartment complex so I always pick up after Anna right away. We also have the dog boxes and I just grab a handful of bags to leave in the house and one or two to keep in my purse. Anna is very specific on where she potties so I highly doubt she will go elsewhere unless she absolutely had to.

I absolutely despise people who do not pick up after their dogs Evil or Very Mad The worst part for me is we have so limited grass and half the people cannot just grab a bag and clean up like they are suppose to. I just don't understand, lazy people. I wish my apartment complex would be a little more strict on this but hopefully we will be out of here when our lease is up and we can have our own yard. They are planning on putting a dog park in our complex and I was so excited until I realized how many people will probably not clean up after their dogs in the fenced in area.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah but isn't just super gross to have to pick up a pile of steaming doodoo with that super thin bag? ewwwww
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:22 pm

MyKeeonah wrote:
Yeah but isn't just super gross to have to pick up a pile of steaming doodoo with that super thin bag? ewwwww

Honestly, it's not horrible! I've rarely ever had Callie poop to the point where it's super super warm. It's a little warm, yes, but I grab it up so fast I rarely have to feel it. And I'm the germaphobe type so it takes the littlest things to gross me out. The only times poop scooping isn't fun is when we've got some diarrhea issues. Then I pick up what I can and let nature wash the rest away. I'm not messing with all that. If you've got dogs like mine who travel while they poop, I just wait until she's all done so the whole thing goes quickly. Callie's also the type that won't poop at one spot, then five minutes later, poop in another spot. She gets it all done in one go.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm

The kennels are scooped daily with a long handled rake and long handled scoop pan. The large yard has a couple of primary pooping areas the dogs have chosen and are cleaned every few days with the same scoops. On outings we always have poop bags handy to dispose of properly. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 7:39 pm

We live by the "No BM is Left Behind" motto!

Brewer likes to eliminate while we walk or run him, so we have a ready supply of biodegradable bags.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
The kennels are scooped daily with a long handled rake and long handled scoop pan. The large yard has a couple of primary pooping areas the dogs have chosen and are cleaned every few days with the same scoops. On outings we always have poop bags handy to dispose of properly. Smile

Would you use a more sophisticated pooper scooper system if there was one?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lets talk poop! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk poop!   Lets talk poop! Empty

Back to top Go down

Lets talk poop!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1