It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm

GalacticPup wrote:
What an interesting and educational thread! I really enjoy seeing the stacked photos of everyone's dogs. I've always had an interest in showing (I'm very familiar with Cardigan Welsh Corgi conformation, as I worked with the breed years back) but I am just learning when it comes to husky conformation!

May I participate even though my girl is a mixed breed? Just for fun Wink Structurally I feel she is built very similar to a purebred husky... but with the red color and black mask of a chow chow!

No one is or should ever be excluded from any thread on this forum Smile

We've had cats as entries in our HOTM threads.

By all means share your pup Smile

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
GalacticPup
Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks Chris! That makes me feel very welcome here! =)

Here are some stacked photos of my husky mix Maya. For those who don't know her, her father was a purebred sibe and her mother was a chow chow x australian shepherd mix.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 IMG_8087 4.5 months

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 IMG_9550 7.5 months (would be a good one if her feet didn't get cut out of the picture)

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 IMG_9557 (legs a bit too far forward)

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 IMG_9215

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 IMG_8778 head shot

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 IMG_8983 profile shot
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Kaiser (7 months) has Champion bloodlines. We were wondering if he might be show worthy. He is blowing coat, and needs a bath, but what do you guys think? Does he have potential? Faults? good points?
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-49-01_880

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-49-12_916

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-40-48_848

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-46-23_635

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-38-57_557

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Bhrnrr
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:44 am

He doesn't look too bad. His ears are a bit wide set and his eyes pretty round. His structure looks decent, but you may find it hard showing in AKC because of his head type. How tall is he?

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:48 am

He is 22 1/2" at the top of the withers.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 am

hmm I wonder how Yuki compares? Sorry if shes too young and I'll try back in a couple months but I kinda wanna see what you guys think so far xD She is 19 weeks old.
This is the closest to a 'stack' I have XD
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 A3igt5
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2cx7qu0
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Osh64z
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2z9haqe
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 14kw8ax

Her one fault that I know so far is that her tail, that used to be perfectly sickle-shapped, is now starting to touch her back.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 am

It's really hard to judge a puppy that young. I would say as faults little high in the rear, tail touches back, and ears a bit large. Looks like she has a nice coat, but could be a little longer. Looks like she has good angles. Can't tell about her stop and length of muzzle due to no profile pictures. She may grow into her ears. Siku was called having "deer ears" when she was younger by a show person, but I think her ears are fine now. And don't get me started about some show people's opinions on tails that curl too much. It's a pet peeve of mine too, but you should have heard these ladies talking about a dog who I didn't even think had that bad of a tail! lol.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 am

Woo thanks ^-^ Sorry I was a tad bored and really wanted to try it out. Still debating on if I'm gonna try to show her or not lol., Would these help for the profile? I don't have many good pics of her.
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Fmbug
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2eeijh1
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 am

capblossoms wrote:
Kaiser (7 months) has Champion bloodlines. We were wondering if he might be show worthy. He is blowing coat, and needs a bath, but what do you guys think? Does he have potential? Faults? good points?
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-49-01_880

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-49-12_916

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-40-48_848

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-46-23_635

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-04_18-38-57_557

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Bhrnrr

I want to say he has potential enough to put him in the ring and see how it would go. A lot of what I see can possibly be young developing....though I agree his eyes appear too round, my bigger concerns are he appears cow hocked in the rear and toe out in the front (again that could be young chest still dropping).
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 am

Mobezilla wrote:
hmm I wonder how Yuki compares? Sorry if shes too young and I'll try back in a couple months but I kinda wanna see what you guys think so far xD She is 19 weeks old.
This is the closest to a 'stack' I have XD
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 A3igt5
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2cx7qu0
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Osh64z
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2z9haqe
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 14kw8ax

Her one fault that I know so far is that her tail, that used to be perfectly sickle-shapped, is now starting to touch her back.

she is still young, but that tail set appears to be too high. I'd say that would be the biggest thing I see right now outside of the large puppy ears, she has a profile, wait and see how she develops in a month or two.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:14 am

You could try showing Kaiser in UKC, I know a lot of people who do. They're a lot more mellow
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 am

I second the hocks on Kaiser - can we see a rear?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:28 am

Sure, I'll try and grab one. If I can keep him from sitting long enough lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 am

Bribe him. Wink
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 5:07 am

LOL bribing him is EXACTLY what I had to do.
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_00-34-06_240-1Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_00-35-25_331-1Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_00-35-47_653Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_00-37-35_810Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_00-38-58_473Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_00-40-10_160
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 am

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_01-48-32_157

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_01-46-32_89

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 2012-12-05_01-46-19_579
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 am

Lani, the standard says straight in the front, but aren't siberian's front feet supposed to toe out 10 degrees (though Kaiser looks a bit more than 10degrees)? I've been confused about that. I've gotten comments on how nice and straight Elara's front is when viewed from the front, but from reading it says toes should toe out just a little and it helps with their movement, so they don't toe in when they trot. Just wondering what's best to look for and what people should be breeding for.

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 pm

SaraB wrote:
Lani, the standard says straight in the front, but aren't siberian's front feet supposed to toe out 10 degrees (though Kaiser looks a bit more than 10degrees)? I've been confused about that. I've gotten comments on how nice and straight Elara's front is when viewed from the front, but from reading it says toes should toe out just a little and it helps with their movement, so they don't toe in when they trot. Just wondering what's best to look for and what people should be breeding for.

'Ideally' for a working Siberian you want a 10* or less toe out to aid in fluid movement, this pup does look like more than 10* and without his full chest drop that could be of concern or it could level out once the chest fills in. Hard to say with a 7 month old and more likely would be held against the pup under an all breed judge, but looked passed under a breeder judge.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:27 pm

BTW, just for general information, siberians can be any color or pattern (though merles are believed to be mixes that some not so great breeders somehow got registered). So markings and color really should not affect how a dog does in the show ring. Yes, there are judges who don't know that siberians can be dark and dirty faced and may not pick the dog because of it, but color and markings shouldn't be held against a siberian.

http://www.shca.org/shcahp2c.htm

http://www.shca.org/pdfs-docs/1999_IS.pdf

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Thank you for pointing that out Sara! Judges often forget that any color is acceptable - a lot of times this is held against the pies. I think there have only been a handful of pies in the show world.

While we are talking about conformation, we should discuss Corneal Dystrophy, Juvenile Cataracts and Hip Dysplasia. These are three genetic diseases that are tested for by reputable breeders.

Cd may not be harmful in the long run and the dog can still have a healthy, full life but it is not something to pass down.

Juvenile Cataracts is pretty scary and there are some famous dogs who are carriers. It may never be bred out of our dogs.

HD is under control as of the moment, there is a VERY small percentage of dogs being affected by it, at least in the show world. Siberian breeders have been diligent about testing animals before breeding.

Here is a link to the SHCA website, it has a bunch of information about all these genetic diseases.

http://www.shca.org/shcahp4d.htm

Last edited by mheath0429 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Something like 11% or more of Siberians are currently affected (with JC) within the breed. I hardly call that "under control" (the number is very high but also not "out of control") since breeders have been breeding known carriers since earlier than the 80s and are still breeding affecteds and carriers today.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Niraya wrote:
Something like 11% or more of Siberians are currently affected within the breed. I hardly call that "under control" since breeders have been breeding known careers since earlier than the 80s and are still breeding affecteds and carriers.

I said within the show world Smile It's much better than it was.

It was based on a study i read from OFA/CERF testing - will have to dig it up.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

That's within the show world. As mostly the only dogs being tested for eye problems are show dogs.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Here's a condensed version: http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html

only 2%
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:52 pm

OH - wow didn't realize that i wrote for HD somehow managed to pop up in the JC part - I never meant to say that. lol, i thought we were talking about HD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next