It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

Female Join date : 2013-09-08

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Okay so im new to all these dog terms as this is my first pup ever. What do you mean by pedigree and i can get you the stacking picture tomorrow, as that is when I am picking her up from the breeder.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Pedigree is the papers you have on her showing her parents lines.
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:35 pm

I do know that her father name is Koda and mother name is Lady. When I pick her up tomorrow Ill also be picking up her AKC papers and it will have the history of both the parents bloodlines if that is what your meaning by pedigree
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Also her ears havent popped up yet, when does that usually happen because a few of her litter mates ears have popped already
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Well, I typically see ears up by 6 weeks, unless they are too long and thing or too heavy. IMO, championship bloodlines is a moot point unless they are within the first two generations of the pedigree. Where is this puppy from?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Birmingham, Al
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Does this person have a kennel name? Website?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 3:27 pm

No, this was her dogs first litter, I found out about her because my best friend also got a pup from the litter
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Ah, if there is no kennel name involved i truly wouldn't advise attempting to show in AKC conformation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 10:33 pm

I'd be concerned about those ears- they look too turned down at 8 weeks....if they do stand I'd guess they will be over sized. Also I agree with Megan, CH bloodlines really are moot unless in the immediate (within the first 2 generations) pedigree.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 10:57 am

Ah okay. Thanks for all your information
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Luna_p11

Luna's ears have popped finally
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Well. For the luls you can all have a go at Meech since she has never been posted - Anyone who wants can comment on her (not just the "experts").

Want to see if you all have learned anything from this thread! Razz

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Edit810
It's not a perfect picture as I took it by myself. But meh.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:18 pm

How old is she, she looks long...in the mid-body between front and back legs and her neck.

Her ears, from my view, look perfect. Set well, proportional, and well shaped. I do love ears Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Her head looks well proportioned, I am spoiled when it comes to ears I think her's are a bit too large but that's my own opinion, I like her length of neck, I'd like to see more chest, she does have a nice layback in the shoulders which is becoming more of a problem area in our breed, nice length of leg, I think the length of body being too long is an illusion because her back legs are too far back, nice length of loin, and a nice croup presence. Conditioning wise she looks great.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Lani, could you explain layback in the shoulder?
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Sure- this photo is of Denali showing his shoulder angle- A Siberian needs to have a well-angulated shoulder with equal length upper arm. Without proper layback the dog's gait will not cover much ground. He will “pitty-pat" instead of striding out, a much more tiring stride and less effective gait. The distance a dog can extend its forelegs leg out in front is determined by the angle of the shoulders. A steep angle will result in restricted front extension, and the withers will be up in the neck instead of slightly behind it. Detrimental to the working function of the dog-

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 1238321_532541026814130_833062272_n

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 pm

The ear size and length of body are an illusion also due to her not having her adult coat.  Shorter coat makes her look longer Smile

She's 9 months old now and has a TON of filling out to do.  Also an illusion is the angle of the picture.  Its taken more from her rear so you cant see her front.  And because it is not straight on and she doesn't have her legs under her giving the presentation of no chest.  (This is NOT a handstack)

It's not the greatest picture I admit - it goes to show just how much can be hidden (or visible) depending on how much experience you have and why it is so hard to accurately judge a dog from a picture.  I also cheated and gave a dog who won't even look nice for another year or two. Lol

Thanks for the awesome critiques!

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Here's some other random pictures to show you how angles can really mess things up.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Edit10
In this picture I think she looks RIDICULOUSLY long and very out of proportion (Kurt took this picture at class last week).

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Edit11
This was taken sometime last month (I think).  You can see how a straight on picture can make the world of difference.  (she really needs to stop placing her rear feet so far back X_X)

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm

I still stand by my original opinion, rear legs too far back, more chest would be nice (given puppy forgiven to a degree), and ears too tall.  All easily could be developed as she ages.  I don't think she's too long, Siberians aren't supposed to be a square after all-
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Yeah, different shots from different angles produce very different results.  

A testament to the training and discipline of show dogs who can do a proper stack over and over again.

Lani, when looking at a Siberian from above and back, should the ribs be further out than the hips and shoulders, making them the widest part of their body?

Last edited by seattlesibe on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Nope. She's not too long! Just an illusion of angles and coat!

I -think- her ears are a tad large. But I really don't care for those overly small ears that I see many with. Everyone says her adult coat will create the illusion and bring them down in size. *shrug*

I'm not sure where I stand on her chest yet - especially with so much maturing left to go thorugh.

Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 pm

A proper stack should come mostly from proper structure and conditioning. Though many are 'trained' to stack in efforts to hide a fault. Many judges, especially breeder judges, want to see free stacks. If you have a dog that needs to be hard stacked every time, there is a problem more than with the training. I've seen pro handlers stack a rear too wide or too stretched back to hide a weaker rear or give a more 'powerful' appearance to the rear.

I'd just keep giving her time. I don't recall seeing anything other than the sloping top line and eyes that appeared too round/non oblique as a young pup that I would have been overly concerned about. At least you know to expect a slow development from her and are being patient! That's the hardest part I know from experience there-

Jeff- When looking from above the Siberian the widest point should be just behind the elbows, you don't want ribs that are too 'sprung' nor too flat. When the dogs are groomed up you may not see as defined of an hour glass shape until you actually put your hands on the dog. The front legs placed under the shoulders. The rear feet should be placed no wider than the hips and no further back than the front of the toe being even with the top point of the croup. The rear leg below the hock (knee) joint should be straight
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 3:25 am

Oh yes, the eyes. They're still slightly too round but meh. And the angles are coming around so the slant is gone/going away!

I know how long it is going to take...but boy have I suddenly become impatient!

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 9:01 am

whispers "Oaks..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next