It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What is your experience with, and your opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

What is your experience with, and your opinion Empty
PostSubject: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi all,

I have searched in the search bar, but I am really just looking for your opinions. I am a 26 year old female, and my pup comes home at the end of next month. I have always wanted a husky, but never really cared about the sex of the dog until up to a couple months ago. I started thinking about getting a female, and told the breeder that is what I wanted for my choice. However, today when I was at work, one of my co-workers told me that she will always get males because they listen to female owners much better than female dogs will. In your experience of owning sibes, is this true? I totally understand that it all depends on the tempermant, but she has me seriously second guessing myself. Please help
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 8:50 pm

I think it is all dog dependent. Smile That is like saying all girls will be daddys girls, not mommies girls, when there is a variety. Smile I have 2 female dogs (Not Husky) that listen to me, SO much better then the males we have do. I do not think that genders really pay much of a roll, More the personality of the dog you choose. Smile Take the one that you want, preferably one that is drawn to you. ^-^ But, No matter what your chances are good of having a dog that you love! Maybe not listen to you so much, I mean, They ARE huskies. Wink
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 9:07 pm

I honestly don't think sex matters. My girls are just as "mine" as my boys are. It really comes down to each dog Smile Don't let anyone freak you out!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Stay with you choice, all dogs are different. I have a female lab, and two male huskys, they all listen to me because I expect them too lol. They are trained to (ok Loki is like 12 weeks lol).

Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah don't put too much thought into it. Stick with your gut feeling.

Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 am

Have to agree with everyone. Sheba is a very independent little spit fire of a girl; at the same time she loves to cuddle and give kisses. She does talk back, but she listens very well and she is definitely a mommy's girl.

Kennedy is my husky/shep/lab mix and she is the most easy going dog ever. Seriously she is amazing.

So, yes. Don't let anyone scare you!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 am

I would disagree with that completely. I have never seen a difference between raising a male or female dog to how much they respect me. It's all about how you train them. My siberian went through her teenage years....and YES, years.....but she always knew I was the "pack leader", and has been the most cuddly, loving, sweet and dedicated dog I have ever had.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 am

Alicia22 wrote:
one of my co-workers told me that she will always get males because they listen to female owners much better than female dogs will.

I have to say, not true. As with a lot of things, it depends on the dog and the owner. I personally prefer male dogs because they have a tendency to be less independent than females but that is not always the case. I have 1 male dog and 2 female dogs. One of my females listens impeccably, she is the most obedient dog of them all. My other female dog is insanely independent and headstrong and resists unless she sees no other option. My male is middle of the road, he's got that headstrong husky independence but he is also a total momma's boy and listens very well...most of the time anyway.

Go with your gut and get the dog you want. I would suggest placing more emphasis on personality than sex though as that will probably ensure the best possible match.

Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 am

I agree with the others, totally not true. My dad told me he preferred male dogs because they were nicer and cuddly and I'm looking at my female husky like "yea sure she's the cuddliest dog I've ever met." I have no issue with her listening to me and she doesn't listen to my hubby anymore than she listens to me (she is a husky and is now getting into her teen years lol). Go with what you want, if you train her right, you will have no issues beyond her husky independence. I don't ever regret getting a girl and I will probably have girl dogs for the rest of my life.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 pm

I think it is dog dependant.
I am one person that think same sex can get more jealous or more likely to not get along together.
But most people say that is not true. However i will switch the sex up and not sty with the same all the time. (ie go girl boy girl boy). My two girls have alpha fights but that is something not related to your question. Go with your gut, girls are just a obidient trainable, alpha etc as any other dog.

MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I agree with Val on the girls maybe being a bit more independant. Kody has to be with us ALL of the time. He literally lays under my legs everytime I move spots in the house. The girls follow me also, but lay in a corner of the room. Kody comes and puts his head on my lap or lays in between the hubby and I. The girls lay with us, but not in between us..lol. They love us the same and listen the same though. Mya is a special case because she's a bit tempermental, but Asia is the sweetest thing ever and completely respects us. Love my girls just as much as my male.

Stick to your gut feeling Smile
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I think it's dog dependant. I also think it depends on the roles you establish in your household. My sibe listens to me very well, because I trained him for the most part. But at the same time, he knows the hubby is the alpha in the household and listens to him the best. Especially, in more critical situations. I think he learned momma's a pushover...
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 5:19 pm

I think I would go for the personality of the dog. My male is very aloof he sits across the room from us and watches us but does not come when called. My female is a love bug she always comes want hugs and love.
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 pm

I cannot thank each and every one of you enough for taking the time to answer my question. It is very much appreciated!!!! I am on her every day learning so much. Thank you so much again!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with, and your opinion   What is your experience with, and your opinion Empty

Back to top Go down

What is your experience with, and your opinion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1