It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? Empty
PostSubject: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Hello!

I adopted my boy when he was a wee thing. As with a lot of adoptions, he didn't come with papers or much background history. It took quite a long time to put a decent amount of weight on him and right now he is filling out, and I am curious if any one has ideas about what he is. He was noted as a purebred, and I don't mind if he's a mix, I am just curious. He has a spot on his belly, which I haven't seen on a purebred husky before. His snout is tapered in a more petite way, and he is long (about 29 inches from shoulder to butt.) He is about 23" tall, and has a very deep chest. Maybe a racing quality dog?

Here are some pictures:

Spot on his tummy.
Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? ODq1Hq4

Muzzle.
Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? WmNZZGr

Other side of muzzle.

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? O6QrKMQ

Body in prone position, as I do not have a good standing shot of him.

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? 4gz4HxO

All legs!

Tail, which is not bushy and only curves slightly.

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? WK9ERBv

Him being a goober.

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? PLU5VDg

Some of his physical traits are definitely all husky, like the majority of his coat, it's the other things that make me wonder. Is he still going through an awkward teenager stage (year old) or could he possibly be from a BYB? Mix? Thank you for any help!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:09 pm

He looks all husky to me...tails actually aren't supposed to curl, so its good that his tail doesn't (its called snap tail and is actually a fault.) What's his weight like? I'd say he's all husky!
Back to top Go down
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Thank you for the response! I didn't know that about the tails, I've seen so many with them! That is good to know. Just weighed him after he ate and he is an even forty pounds. He had ribs that showed for the longest time, and he has only in the last few months thickened up. His hips are still pointy. He gets 884 kcals of Blue Buffalo, but maybe that's not enough?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Looks all husky to me..

Welcome..

Both of mine are rescues one from a BYB and the other from a shelter and they have a lot of differences.. Kerian my female has short thick legs and a deep chest short nose (compared to Blaze)

Blaze has thin legs and seem to have a thin build (even though he is a bit over weigh now.)

Huskies come in many shapes and sizes and different builds..
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:41 pm

He looks all husky to me. Reminds me a lot of my Sophie and she doesn't come from good breeding but is all husky.
Back to top Go down
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Smile Really good to hear about your pets, thank you both! I read a few sites in past history that left a lingering doubt over his lineage, and I figured I'd ask people that knew better than I. Thank you so much, all of your avatars and signatures are just adorable. I want to cuddle them all!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Loki has spots on his tummy too, this is not anything to worry about. A tail that barely curls is fine too, a proper husky tail will come slightly arched over the back but not touch the back! In repose it is carried down, when exited up. A snap tail is not just a tightly curled tail, it is a tightly curled tail that "snaps" to one side or the other and is a fault if you want to show. My Balon's parents are both show quality dogs and he has a snap tail!

Balon is the brown one, you can see how his tail looks

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? Buttsh15

I know it is a fault and I don't care, I wasn't going for show dog lol, and I think its cute. Your dog looks pure to me, some have longer muzzles, some shorter, some have longer legs some don't. Who cares if you love him!!!

Back to top Go down
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Such a fluffy butt, love! His tail is cute and it's interesting that his parents didn't have it. I only have a basic understanding of genetics, so I guess the gene was in the line in the past few generations? Indeed Smile it is incredibly hard not to love the goobers no matter what they are.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Ares has a spot on his tummy too, and he's all Husky Smile

I definitely think he's all Husky, just not bred the best. Also how old is he? He kinda just looks like a lanky teenage Husky..
Back to top Go down
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Good to know! I never saw any pictures with spotted tummies and thought maybe it was because there was a shepherd in there somewhere. He's a year, maybe? I was told he was eight weeks when I got him, but he was so very tiny and his eye color actually changed.

There was a green cast to them before:

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? 5nrc4ci

Which I know isn't a legitimate eye color for huskies, but it was interesting at the time. I think he must have come out of a BYB after all this great advice.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Yuki has that spot on her stomach too and she's all husky Very Happy I'd say he looks all husky to me.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Yup all of my girls have spots on their tummies. Smile
Back to top Go down
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Haha, wow Very Happy I never imagined that this was common. It sure is cute to see since the breed likes to sleep on their backs so much. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 am

Here's a photo of Yuki's spot. I too love her spot! Very Happy I don't have any recent photos of her spot unfortunately but its a bit bigger now.
Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? Yuki_zps9c61b3b8
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:51 am

Welcome!

I agree with everyone else...looks all husky to me. Very cute too. Very Happy

If he's just about a year...there's still some growing time in there for him to fill out and grow into his legs. Both of mine have belly spots as well.
Back to top Go down
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:24 am

D'aw, so cute! What a heart melter. I'm glad to know he's going to grow some more, I feel bad when I giggle at his ganglyness.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:43 am

They all go through phases like that. My poor Demon had bat ears for what seemed like forever...partner that with big feet and he looked like a clown. We laughed at his expense many times. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 2:09 am

Hah,that's priceless! Would have made a good costume then for Halloween Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Yeah I think he's going to fill out quite a bit, and get a more full coat proably in a year or so if he's that young. My boy Embry was SO akward for the longest time, but by the time he was 2 years he finally looked the way a Husky should.

This was Embry at 11 months. Ugly, gangly and no coat lol
Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? 39889_1373101499662_8345185_n

and now this is him at 3 years
Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? 530091_3422519053820_767910377_n
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Same with my other boy, Ares

5 months, ugly lol no coat
Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? 269266_3253894478311_1342281289_n

Now and 18 months he finally started filling out and got his coat in
Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? 994762_4913488687129_1819160143_n
Back to top Go down
Kronosmommy
Newborn
Newborn
Kronosmommy

Female Join date : 2013-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Ares coat looks so soft and shiny!!!! I want Kronos' coat to be like that!!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 am

looks like a pure bred to me.

I just wanted to mention that "pet quality" does not mean a dog was poorly bred - great breeders produce pet quality dogs as well as show/working dogs. It just means that dog had an undesirable fault (or multiple).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:39 am

Wow! The difference in age really changed their looks from cute to majestic. Thanks for the examples, beautiful dogs Smile

Ah, I see the distinction. I usually hear pet quality associated with poor breeders, but I have seen pups of show dogs be deemed pet quality for an overbite and the like. Thanks for clearing up Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 am

No worries. My male is considered "pet quality" but he just took a Group 3 in altered for UKC, so he has some nice attributes.

Another thing to look at is the breeder the dog is coming from - sometimes one breeders pet quality is another's show quality.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
pooka
Newborn
Newborn
pooka

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:59 am

That's neat! I bet that was a really great moment.

Ah, I see, different ideals for perfection. Since I adopted him, the only clue I had was to compare him to pictures. I was really astonished to see the variety in Alaskan huskies, for the longest time I just thought they were a slight variation on Siberians.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?   Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is My Dog Pet Quality (poorly bred) Or A Mix?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1