It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackmetal
Newborn
Newborn

Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Empty
PostSubject: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi all, I'm new here. I always forget to ask my Vet because he used to have a husky, so I thought I would ask here.

I adopted Makoto, a "Siberian Husky/Mix" according to his papers, from my humane society last February. I've been in love with the breed for years, and both I and the lady who helped me both were pretty positive he was a pure bred, yet for some reason the papers listed him as a husky mix. (possibly a mistake?)

Do you all possibly see anything else in him? I highly doubt he is husky/wolf hybrid (thats the only thing i could think that would still make him look purebred), all he does is lay around and i've never heard him let out bark or growl once (he does like to howl at me when he doesnt get attention though, haha) and he loves loves loves all dogs and people, big and small.

Thank you all for your help! (I added a few funny ones of him too haha)

Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Tumblr_nd903p8Prz1qhr4cpo1_1280Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Tumblr_nd903p8Prz1qhr4cpo7_1280Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Tumblr_nd903p8Prz1qhr4cpo5_1280Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Tumblr_nd903p8Prz1qhr4cpo8_1280Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Tumblr_nd903p8Prz1qhr4cpo3_1280Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Tumblr_nd903p8Prz1qhr4cpo4_1280Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Tumblr_nd903p8Prz1qhr4cpo6_1280
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 6:59 pm

He looks pretty pure bred, and a lot of shelters will just label them as mixes whether they are or not. He's gorgeous too Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Oh he's very cute! I personally think he may be a pure bred. I don't see anything else mixed in.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Agree that he is likely purebred. He is adorable. I'm a sucker for the freckles!
Back to top Go down
blackmetal
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Thank you all so much for the feedback! Just wanted to double check with others
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Yeah I agree that he doesn't look like a Husky mix. You can try to get him measured and weighed to see if he's within breed standards (although even if he isn't I still think he's a pure bred). You could also get a DNA test done if you want to be really sure, but for all intents and purposes I really do think he's 100% Husky. Razz
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 11:43 pm

A friend of mine who worked ay an animal shelter said that even if they were certain that a dog was a pure breed <whatever> since they, normally, had no papers saying it was a pure bred. It's been too many years since we had the discussion but apparently (she felt) there was some possibility liability if they labeled a dog pure bred (like someone's going to try to register a shelter rescue?)
Take all of the above with a grain of salt 'cause as I said it's been way too many years since I asked her.
And If I had my say - yeh, he looks pure to me and looks like he's quite an enjoyable handful!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Please kindly correct me if I am wrong, even it looks like a pure breed, but there is still a chance of being mix which can be carry "not shown" genes, unless DNA test has run.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 9:53 pm

... and I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a dog out there, registered or not, who isn't going to show something on the DNA results in addition to the registered breed.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 11:46 pm

I agree he looks all husky. I've done a lot of research on wolf dogs/hybrids, and grew up with a gsd/wolf, I assure you no wolfy except from proper lineage that all huskies have (all dogs have wolf dna, huskies would have a slightly higher percentage than say a beagle, but all dogs are decedents of the wolf).

I agree with Al though, no dna test is fool proof enough yet to determine exact breed and will list several. I mentioned in another thread here on another forum I was on, a girl did a dna test on her supposed wolf/black gsd.... The dna test came back no wolf, no gsd, but a mix of sheltie, some other breeds and 25% doberman, lol. I didn't think the test was honestly valid, this dog looked all black gsd. There are a few people on this forum who are in the process of doing a dna test, I'm quite excited to see what their results will be.
Back to top Go down
Wiretap
Puppy
Puppy
Wiretap

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm not an expert, but I have no doubt he is 100% husky. There is absolutely nothing about his physical characteristics that suggest anything but.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 6:42 pm

He looks all Husky to me. I volunteered for a shelter, and unless a dog was surrendered with papers (which never happened) we would list the dog as mixed, because we couldn't guarantee the dog's "purity".

He's a cutie pie! The freckles are adorable
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)   Is my dog pure bred? (pics included) Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my dog pure bred? (pics included)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1