It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pure Sib or part Mal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RangersMom
Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

Female Join date : 2012-04-21

Pure Sib or part Mal? Empty
PostSubject: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi Guys,

We are thinking of adopting this beautiful boy. He is 9mths old and 72pds already so we are wondering if he could be part malamute or just going to be a big boy?

Currently he is kept full time outside tied to a tree as the lady just doesn't have time for him.

Pure Sib or part Mal? T10
Pure Sib or part Mal? T210
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:32 pm

My guess is Mal, but not 100% sure but due to his size he isn't a full sib in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Aw, Ranger looks just like my Ro did almost as a baby!

I say husky. Claudia's storm is the same weight as this guy you posted and is full husky. Just like my female is 10lbs under standard and full bred, a husky can be 10lbs over standard and still be purebred.
Back to top Go down
RangersMom
Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:42 pm

We are not too worried about his size currently or potential size once he is fully beefed out lol but yea just wanted opinions on whether he could be part mal.

I know he has some growing to do still lol just want to be prepared for how bog he might get. At 9mths old how much more growing should we expect?

We just want to try and get him out of the place he is currently in.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Both my dogs were done growing by 10 months. So it just varies.

It'd probably help some if you had body shots though of him.

And just thinking looking closer, do mals have shorter snouts than huskies? His snout is a little short. But that's the only thing that throws me off a bit.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:45 pm

sibe, could have a tiny bit malamute. Don't see much mal, execept he does have a shorter snout like a mal. Though I just dont see anything other than that. Maggie is a small mal and some male huskies are big as her.

Last edited by norbreedslove on Tue May 29, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:54 pm

He's gorgeous and I'm glad you are going to give him a better life. Being tied to a tree is a very lonely life for a pack animal.
Back to top Go down
evelazquez
Teenager
Teenager
evelazquez

Male Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Wow he is a good looking dog! Not sure if he is pure or mixed.
Back to top Go down
RangersMom
Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:04 am

Here are the other photos I have of him. He looks so sad in the ones outside Sad

Pure Sib or part Mal? T310
Pure Sib or part Mal? T410
Pure Sib or part Mal? T510

Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:09 am

He really reminds me of Storm. I'd go with full husky honestly, if he is mixed it's like a tiny tiny tiny tiny percent of mal.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:10 am

thats what I think heather too. tiny tiny tiny % mallie. Can't have much mallie also because of blue eyes.
Back to top Go down
RangersMom
Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:20 am

the Red mals can have blue eyes, I was talking to a breeder about him also and I mentioned the blue eyes and they said its common in the reds to have them.

He is a gorgeous boy none the less and we are hoping he gets along with Ranger and the girls.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:06 am

mal with blue eyes is a very very rare mutation in the genes. It is like 1 in million malamutes to have that mutation, being red or not. Most malamutes that have blue eyes are not purebred mal. He is very pretty if he is mal or husky! Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:07 am

Blue eyes is a Disqualification in purebred Malamutes. Blue eyes is also a recessive gene. For a Malamute to have blue eyes it would almost certainly have to be a mix - otherwise you'd see more purebred Malamutes with blue eyes - just as you see in Siberians.

This is from the Minnesota Malamute club website's FAQ about the differences between Malamutes and Siberians

Quote :
Are Malamutes the ones with blue eyes?
No, Malamutes always have dark eyes. Siberian Huskies can have blue eyes, brown eyes, or one of each.

He's just an out of standard Siberian Smile very handsome though.

Pure Sib or part Mal? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Tue May 29, 2012 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:52 am

What color the dog is definitely doesn't determine it's eye color at all, haha.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 2:12 am

When are you going ot pick him up?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:23 am

He's sooo handsome! I'd definitely say pure Siberian also..
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:53 am

He needs your help.................. take him!

Who care if he's Husky or Malamute, either way he is a great looker.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:08 am

honestly he looks siberian to me, but does it matter? He is gorgeous, thanks for rescuing!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:14 am

He is beautiful.. I would take him in a heart beat..

Thanks for rescueing..

Looking forward to lots of pictures of him..
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:23 am

He could possibly be a Husky. Hayden's dad was purebred Siberian Husky and he was 75lbs. SO it is possible. You could always get the DNA test done Smile
Back to top Go down
RangersMom
Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:09 am

mheath0429 wrote:
When are you going ot pick him up?

He is about 7hrs away so it would be on the weekend if we are going to get him. They are deciding if he is a good match for us.

Here4thePics wrote:
He needs your help.................. take him!

Who care if he's Husky or Malamute, either way he is a great looker.

Balonsmom wrote:
honestly he looks siberian to me, but does it matter? He is gorgeous, thanks for rescuing!

No it doesn't matter if he is full sib, part sib with mal, we just wanted opinions so we know what to expect size wise for him and if he was done growing.
ljelgin wrote:
He is beautiful.. I would take him in a heart beat..

Thanks for rescueing..

Looking forward to lots of pictures of him..

He is a gorgeous boy and hoping his temperament is good as well. Since we have children we do have to be extra careful, that goes for any dog we have or new ones we bring in.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:11 am

Looks a lot like my Blaze who's DNA said he was 84lbs of pure Siberian.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:18 am

Storm is full Husky and he is about 26" tall and 75 lbs.

Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks Claudia & Brian Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pure Sib or part Mal?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next