It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pure Sib or part Mal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 11:19 am

First off, red flags from that "breeder". Like Heather said, eye color has NOTHING to do with coat color. There has to be SOME husky in there if he's Mal at all.

Snout is short, but as others have said, that's the only thing that looks Mal to me. His body style is all husky. I'd say poorly bred husky, but likely with a husky/mal mix in the gene pool somewhere. If that "breeder" thinks that Mals can have blue eyes, well... I highly doubt all his studs/bitches were purebred Wink

As for growing... most huskies/mals grow until 2-3 years old. They will stop growing for a bit after 10 months, then hit another spurt around 15-18 months where they might grow another inch in height, but not always. But they will continue to fill out until about 2-3 years old.

If you're not concerned about the size, I wouldn't worry about it honestly. It sounds like it's not going to affect your decision to adopt him... so just be prepared for him to grow a little more and you'll be fine. Koda was 43 lbs when we got him at 7 months and his full-grown weight is 60 lbs. So we're not talking much more in size.

Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 2:30 pm

your huskies engulf maggie and she is a purebred mal! Well she is only 18 months and 23' 65 pounds. though akc standard for females is 23' and 75 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:50 pm

man his feet are are wrapped in the cord too, who can do this? Its so sad to leave him by himself all day long, poor guy!
Back to top Go down
ArkansMom
Newborn
Newborn
ArkansMom

Female Join date : 2011-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm

He looks siberian to me. Arkan is 76lbs at 15 months and even has kind of the same body type as this guy. Some are just big.....
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 3:53 pm

ArkansMom wrote:
Some are just big.....
Ever wonder how the Giant Malamute was created? Razz

Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Niraya wrote:
ArkansMom wrote:
Some are just big.....
Pet peeve of mine... don't even get me started. I use a LOT of four letter words when I discuss them. Irresponsible shit breeders. That's the short version of how.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Koda wrote:
Niraya wrote:
ArkansMom wrote:
Some are just big.....
Pet peeve of mine... don't even get me started. I use a LOT of four letter words when I discuss them. Irresponsible shit breeders. That's the short version of how.

Oh I completely agree. I'm the same way. The really big out of standard Siberians are bred the same way Sad.

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:03 pm

I can't stand giant malamute breeders. lets have the health problems of a mal but 100X more extreme. There was a giant mal puppy when we were going through puppy school with maggie. That poor pup couldn't walk far without laying down.
Back to top Go down
ArkansMom
Newborn
Newborn
ArkansMom

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Eh. I guess im 'wrong' but i like his size. I always felt a malamute was too big for my living situation and was kinda disapointed at how small most huskys are, so i was pretty happy when he just kept going. I did have a show judge tell me he is very well put together, just too big to show, so i really dont feel he was that poorly bred. Hes never had one health issue. The rest of his litter are completly normal standard sibes. Arkans size still perplexes his breeder (who, while not perfect, is in no way a sh*t breeder). Sometimes in a totally normal litter of pups, one will turn out bigger...nature does things like that sometimes, without regard to our human 'standards'. I did feed him raw from day 1 at eight weeks. I've always wondered if that could have had any influence on his size?
Back to top Go down
RangersMom
Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

Female Join date : 2012-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks all, we just want to give him a better home than he is in now. Yes we saw the cord wrapped around his legs, big sadness there the poor fella.

We are hopefully going to drive down this weekend for him if the lady allows us to adopt him.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Honestly, I don't think the tie out around his foot is anything terrible (IMO). When I put Bella out on the tie out she gets it all wrapped around her leg(s) especially if she's running in and out of the pool. People see her like that quite a bit (and even when my Pyrenees was out on the tie out she'd sometimes get it wrapped around her) and no one ever said "omg that's such a shame that your dog has their tie out wrapped around their leg". She's in no danger from it and I'm out there with her - but just because it's wrapped (and not at all tightly) doesn't mean anything. It's just how he laid down.

He doesn't look at all like he's abused or mistreated and looks to be in pretty decent shape from the pictures.

*shrugs* Have a lot of fun with him when you get him Smile

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:41 pm

ArkansMom wrote:
Eh. I guess im 'wrong' but i like his size. I always felt a malamute was too big for my living situation and was kinda disapointed at how small most huskys are, so i was pretty happy when he just kept going. I did have a show judge tell me he is very well put together, just too big to show, so i really dont feel he was that poorly bred. Hes never had one health issue. The rest of his litter are completly normal standard sibes. Arkans size still perplexes his breeder (who, while not perfect, is in no way a sh*t breeder). Sometimes in a totally normal litter of pups, one will turn out bigger...nature does things like that sometimes, without regard to our human 'standards'. I did feed him raw from day 1 at eight weeks. I've always wondered if that could have had any influence on his size?
You are right. Sometimes in a perfectly normal litter you get an oversized and a runt. However, you're not understanding. "Giant Malamutes" are a "designer breed." They are upwards of 150-200 lbs. That is NOT just an "oversized pup." That is shitty irresponsible breeder purposely breeding oversized dogs together to get a larger breed without thought or consideration for the health defects and problems that accompany it.

I don't know your breeder, and highly doubt she's a Giant Mal breeder.

But for the record, "who, while not perfect, is in no way a sh*t breeder" describes most irresponsible, backyard breeders. Educate yourself on what makes a responsible breeder.

Back to top Go down
ArkansMom
Newborn
Newborn
ArkansMom

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:09 pm

I guess i was unclear. I am well aware of what both a giant malamute is and what constitutes a reputable breeder, thanks. Trust me, i did not personally purchase my dog from this lady. I was simply pointing out to RangersMom that a 75lb husky is THAT uncommon from a normal litter and doesnt mean that dog has to have mal in him, or will have health problems because of his size.
Anywho, hes a stunner. I'm sure he'll be overjoyed to be in a home. Enjoy him!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah I think the cord wrapped around his foot just adds to the fact that he is tied up all day. Im sure he has been fed and all, but leaving him tied to a tree all day long is not good care IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Actually a larger size dog that isn't supposed to be that big has a much higher risk of joint and arthritic problems later on as well as later on set dysplasia due to the weight on the bones.

The majority of those pictures are also taken inside a house, not outside - that doesn't mean the dog is tied up all day at all.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 6:36 pm

He just looks like a poorly bred Siberian, not a Mal. To me the muzzle doesn't mean anything.. if you guys could have seen this Husky at the dog park yesterday... Yeesh. The dogs some BYBs turn out!

When Mickey lived in the 5th wheel with us I can't tell you how often I was de-tangling that boy. It just happens with the tie outs.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:12 pm

RangersMom wrote:

Currently he is kept full time outside tied to a tree as the lady just doesn't have time for him.

Niraya wrote:

The majority of those pictures are also taken inside a house, not outside - that doesn't mean the dog is tied up all day at all.

The OP stated he is now outside full-time.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for that. I must have read over it. Smile so I apologize. But how long has he been outside?(again i may have missed it - I'm on my phone and reading properly is something I'm lacking today I guess)

However - it should be stated that if/when done properly there is absolutely nothing wrong with an outside only dog (I'm not condoning being outside tied to a tree as right at all). This dog was/is being well cared for and at least his owner now realizes that he needs someone with more time an is trying p do right by the dog.

I'm getting the feeling that some people equate an outside only dog with abuse or mistreatment? (while yes there are those owners who are unaware or uneducated with their dogs and leave them outdoors - there are just as many owners who abuse and neglect their inside dogs as well. There are many owners who properly care for their pets and give them everything they need even though they remain outside.)

Back to top Go down
Kishirian
Newborn
Newborn
Kishirian

Male Join date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:45 pm

RangersMom wrote:
Hi Guys,

We are thinking of adopting this beautiful boy. He is 9mths old and 72pds already so we are wondering if he could be part malamute or just going to be a big boy?

Currently he is kept full time outside tied to a tree as the lady just doesn't have time for him.

Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 T10
Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 T210

He looks an awful lot like my Blaze. Mine is almost 9 months and weighs around 70 lbs. Both of his parents were over 70 lbs and his dad is 3.5' at ear-tips sitting down. My baby is already at 3' at ear-tips sitting down. He is AKC registered Siberian Husky.

Take a look:
Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 Attachment
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Niraya wrote:
Thanks for that. I must have read over it. Smile so I apologize. But how long has he been outside?(again i may have missed it - I'm on my phone and reading properly is something I'm lacking today I guess)

However - it should be stated that if/when done properly there is absolutely nothing wrong with an outside only dog (I'm not condoning being outside tied to a tree as right). This dog was/is being well cared for and at least his owner now realizes that he needs someone with more time an is trying p do right by the dog.

I figured you probably just missed thst part of the post. No worries! Smile I don't see it mentioned how long ago he was moved to outside. I agree with you that an outside only dog is not wrong IF the dog gets daily exercise and human contact. Now we don't know if that is the case here so we can't judge that. However, I do not feel a tieout to a tree as an appropriate solution to leaving him outside full-time, which sounds like you feel the same.(??) I hope the OP will be able to take him in and give him a better home.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:59 pm

26nikita wrote:
I figured you probably just missed thst part of the post. No worries! Smile I don't see it mentioned how long ago he was moved to outside. I agree with you that an outside only dog is not wrong IF the dog gets daily exercise and human contact. Now we don't know if that is the case here so we can't judge that. However, I do not feel a tieout to a tree as an appropriate solution to leaving him outside full-time, which sounds like you feel the same.(??) I hope the OP will be able to take him in and give him a better home.

Yes I did miss it Smile Sometimes the downside to reading on the phone and replying on it. Sad Thank you again for pointing that out!

Yes, I don't believe that being left on a tie out to a tree is appropriate either. Sorry if that wasn't clear! Smile

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Niraya wrote:
I'm getting the feeling that some people equate an outside only dog with abuse or mistreatment? (while yes there are those owners who are unaware or uneducated with their dogs and leave them outdoors - there are just as many owners who abuse and neglect their inside dogs as well. There are many owners who properly care for their pets and give them everything they need even though they remain outside.)

Sorry, I just have to say this as well...

I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying above BUT I do find it hard to believe you can give the same amount of attention to a dog that is kept outside vs inside. It's a rare person who would spend all their free time outside with their dog everyday. That is what most of us sympathize with. These dogs love companionship and it is sad to some of us to see a dog outside, alone, full time instead of with their humans. This is just my opinion though and it doesn't mean I look down on anyone who keeps their dog outside. I know that sometimes there is no other choice.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:38 pm

26nikita wrote:
Sorry, I just have to say this as well...

I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying above BUT I do find it hard to believe you can give the same amount of attention to a dog that is kept outside vs inside. It's a rare person who would spend all their free time outside with their dog everyday. That is what most of us sympathize with. These dogs love companionship and it is sad to some of us to see a dog outside, alone, full time instead of with their humans. This is just my opinion though and it doesn't mean I look down on anyone who keeps their dog outside. I know that sometimes there is no other choice.

I completely get that but I've had to look at the other side of things (just because that's what I do Very Happy). But here's a different side to see - even with inside dogs - we don't spend every single waking moment with our dogs (at least I don't - maybe I'm a bad owner?). Right now Bella isn't even in the same room with me. She hasn't been for several hours - so I'm not spending all of my free time with her the only difference there is that she is IN a building with me as opposed to having a wall barrier (you inside dog outside) so psychologically you FEEL that you're spending time with the dog. If any of that makes sense. Sure - you lose out on sleepy time cuddles but on nice summer nights you could go outside and sleep.

I feel absolutely awful for a lot of outside dogs - but I do have to realize that there a ton of people who properly manage an outside dog and they are extremely happy. And just as you said - sometimes there is no other option.

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Niraya wrote:
But here's a different side to see - even with inside dogs - we don't spend every single waking moment with our dogs (at least I don't - maybe I'm a bad owner?). Right now Bella isn't even in the same room with me. She hasn't been for several hours - so I'm not spending all of my free time with her the only difference there is that she is IN a building with me as opposed to having a wall barrier (you inside dog outside) so psychologically you FEEL that you're spending time with the dog. If any of that makes sense. Sure - you lose out on sleepy time cuddles but on nice summer nights you could go outside and sleep.

No, you are not a bad owner! But I can't relate. My dogs follow me everywhere! If I'm home, they are by my side. Every once in a while Willow will go sleep on my bed if I'm quietly doing something elsewhere but if she can hear me then she has to know what I'm doing. Lol! Mine really do follow me everywhere. Maybe mine are rare that way. Sorry for the hijack!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2012 11:09 pm

26nikita wrote:
No, you are not a bad owner! But I can't relate. My dogs follow me everywhere! If I'm home, they are by my side. Every once in a while Willow will go sleep on my bed if I'm quietly doing something elsewhere but if she can hear me then she has to know what I'm doing. Lol! Mine really do follow me everywhere. Maybe mine are rare that way. Sorry for the hijack!

I feel much better about not being a bad owner now Smile I was really worried after I had read that I was like "I'm not spending all of my time with her they're going to think I'm awful! D:"

Well - Bella is that way. If I leave a room she will follow. She's conditioned to do that. But she was downstairs because dad was there and one of my nephews that she likes to follow around was here. But Bella also likes her own time to herself. If she hears me switching rooms or going to the bathroom she'll run up (the bathroom thing is so she can play in the sink -_-). But if she wants to be downstairs she'll be downstairs and sometimes I won't see her for several hours.

I think the difference there is that I'm ALWAYS home - she likes to be with me and she's conditioned to follow me (trained indirectly) but I don't push the issue - if she wants to lay on the floor in the living room for five hours - so be it! lol. But I think looking at it psychologically opens up a different venue into the "outdoor only" dogs - because truthfully very few people that have indoor only dogs devote all of their free time to their dogs in that aspect. It's just a different way of looking at things.

I apologize for the thread jack as well Sad

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pure Sib or part Mal?   Pure Sib or part Mal? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pure Sib or part Mal?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2