It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can I Vent During My Introduction?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Asator
Newborn
Newborn
Asator

Male Join date : 2013-07-01

Can I Vent During My Introduction? Empty
PostSubject: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Hey all, newcomer here. We just adopted a Husky/Akita mix from a couple in Canton, OH. They made up a story about their son getting the Husky but not having time to take care of him. They lied about a myriad of things, including him being fixed, him being a picky eater, and his overall health. As we always do with our new pets, we took him to Banfield (Petsmart) to get evaluated and put on a Wellness Plan. They found that he was not fixed (surprise), he had a large, open sore above his rectum (as well as a lump next to it), and severe dental issues. Of course, I scheduled a surgery date.

Today, I receive a call from the Vet saying that they successfully removed both masses from his rear. However, his mouth is so severe that he needs 11 teeth removed, and one of them is abscessed. He isn't a picky eater, he is just in terrible pain. When I got the call, all I heard initially was $$$ and had a mini breakdown. There is no way I can afford over $1500 in one lump sum, and I just got the poor guy. After I cooled down, I called them back and told them to schedule a date to have the critical ones removed. I have had an abscessed tooth before, and I know the pain is intense. Despite all of this, he has an uncanny kindness about him that I have rarely seen in dogs.

This has just been a rough week. I finally got a Husky (close enough) after wanting one since I was a child, but he has been seriously neglected. These people even tried to tell me that he loved being outside, and that he would even want to be out there in pouring rain and storms. Yet, when I try to walk him to the car from the Petsmart in the rain, he flips out. Unbelievable.

Anyway, sorry for the rant! Hopefully he'll get all healed up soon and we can get him to play for more than 30 seconds.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Welcome.. Poor boy thanks for rescuing him and taking care of his health issues..
I was wondering how old is he to have so many bad teeth.
Back to top Go down
Asator
Newborn
Newborn
Asator

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 5:53 pm

We can't know for sure. The old owners told us he is 4, but we can't be sure. The vets just know that he is an "adult dog".
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Welcome! He's gorgeous and thanks for rescuing him. Poor boy to have to go through all that pain...but at least he finally has a loving family that will take care of him. Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:19 pm

What is wrong with all of the teeth besides the abscessed one? IMO, before removing all 11 I would try Raw Meaty Bones to see what you can clean off. I don't know what is wrong, but that is what I would do.

I would suggest you look into pet insurance - it won't cover any of the issues you have now, but may be helpful in the future.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Welcome! He's beautiful and I'm sorry to hear about all the troubles you've been having! I hope he feels better soon!
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:45 pm

The nerve of some people. Why get a dog if you don't want to do anything to take care of it?! Glad to see he's in someone's hands that cares. I hope he heals up quick!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Welcome! i just went and had 2 teeth pulled on our girl, that was a fun $1000 to spend, she was able to seal up 9 teeth so we dont have to pull them anytime soon. i would take care of the really bad ones now and then take him to another vet to see what they say, im sorry but just not a huge fan of banfeild, there are better vets out there. thank you for rescuing him and as most of us know when you adopt from a person they dont always tell the truth sadly Sad but you have him now and it looks like he is off to a new healthy life with you!

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:51 pm

I must say I would email those "owners" back and give them a piece of my mind; but that's just the type of person I am. I can't stay away from conflict.

Thank you for rescuing this poor boy. I wish you many happy years together.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:36 pm

2nd getting another opinion. My elderly male has a myriad of health issues as well and his teeth were horrible. In the end, however, only 1 truly needed to be extracted which was only $300 total with sedation and a full dental. Raw Bones help!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 am

Awh poor baby. I agree with the others about trying some raw bones to see if that can help at all. Welcome to the forum, glad someones looking after this poor boy Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 am

Welcome! So sorry about the problems you've been having. Sad He may not mind the thunderstorms/rain, but since he is in a new environment, he may act differently until he feels safe. However, since his owners lied about the other stuff, they may have been lying about it as well.

Thank you for rescuing and hopefully you'll find a second vet to cover that could possibly save you some money.

There is a discount plan available that covers his PREVIOUS issues (what you're dealing with now). It is called Pet Assure. They give you a 25% discount on any vet visit. BUT, you have to make sure it is covered by your vet. It is instant though. No waiting for checks in the mail.

Scroll down to the bottom and find your state and see if your vet covers it.

http://www.petassure.com/pet-coverage

There's a deal going on at groupon right now. $30 for a $99 plan for 1 year. MAKE SURE you select the dog plan and not the 'family plan'.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pet-assure-veterinary-discount-plans

Hope I helped. Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 am

After sierras teeth pull and seals the vet said no more raw hard bones for her as it will make the chips worse or break off the seals Sad
And yeah with him being new to your home it will take time for him to settle in with you, just take it one day at a time

Newborn
Newborn
Asator

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
What is wrong with all of the teeth besides the abscessed one? IMO, before removing all 11 I would try Raw Meaty Bones to see what you can clean off. I don't know what is wrong, but that is what I would do.

I would suggest you look into pet insurance - it won't cover any of the issues you have now, but may be helpful in the future.

He just went through his butt-surgery yesterday, and they did a full dental exam and cleaning. They found (2) abscessed teeth, and the other (9) have exposed roots. I think one of the teeth is actually just a dead tooth. His breath is terrible, I feel bad for him.
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 10:15 pm

I can't believe people! Congrats on your new addition glad to see he has a great, caring new owner. Sorry about all the health issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I Vent During My Introduction?   Can I Vent During My Introduction? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I Vent During My Introduction?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1