It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Shadow is having seizures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
bgjacman
Newborn
Newborn

seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm glad to hear everything is going better. For what it's worth I have seizures (well, not lately and knock on wood never again) and have hydrocephalus. In a weird way I can feel your dog's pain. Keep on giving her love and smiles it'll really mean a lot. I too am on Keppra (and two others) and can tell you that at least in humans changing pills from quick to extended or even higher or lower doses can be a trigger, at least in humans. Don't feel selfish about asking for money, especially if you are thinking of making Shadow a therapy dog. While I was in the hospital I had a therapy dog visit me and it is actually the only thing I remember of those two weeks. Dogs can do wonders and I know I would happily donate to help a dog out especially if she can help others out. That's just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Aw, thank you! I've said it several times, but seriously I don't know how I would be surviving right now if it weren't for you all. Bgjacman, you are an inspiration, and I can only imagine what you've gone through over the course of your life, and I certainly appreciate the offer for a donation. I might do a fundraiser, but I still feel weird asking for something personal.

We had a full grand mal a little while ago, and we were able to catch it on video for our neurologist. We both felt like shit just standing there and videoing it, but hopefully it will help her in the long run. I have a feeling we're going to be headed down the shunt path, but in the meantime we have an appointment with the holistic vet at our regular practice tomorrow morning and our neurologist is going to switch her back to the 8 hour pill if the seizures continue over the next few days.

I wish so badly that I could just wave a magic wand and fix her, there is nothing more helpless than standing there and watching your dog like that and knowing there isn't a damn thing you can do to make it stop...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:26 pm

I watch this thread and silently follow it, and I cannot imagine how difficult this has been so far on the both of you. I continue to pray and hope for the best for Shadow.

How old is Shadow now?

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 pm

21.5 weeks

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Updated the blog if you guys want to see the full story from today.

merbear.laminarchaos.net

Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:34 am

I saw the blog, and I love her picture at the end lol..she looks thrilled.

Hope you find that needle!!! Eek how scary! I'd be like, "dammit Sheba!" if she did that..damn Sibe puppies.

I really hope everything with both vets helps out and gives Shadow a little bit of relief.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 11:10 am

I came across this today and thought you might be interested. Smile It's a non profit called the Mia Foundation that helps special needs animals with birth defects. Some of the stories are pretty amazing. Smile https://www.facebook.com/LoveForMiaCleftPalateChihuahua
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 11:32 am

Meredith, I have a suggestion for a blog post if you're up for it...I'd like to see a "What does a seizure look like" post. I think it would be useful for other pet owners to help identify if their dog has a seizure. I know that me personally, if Bode was to have one, I would have no clue what was going on.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Jen, thanks for the link. I will definitely look at it when I get a chance.

Sara, I actually have a pretty violent one on video, and that is something I should share both on the blog and on here. It's disturbing as hell to watch, but with the incidence of epilepsy in Huskies it's important to know. I'll get that uploaded this evening.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 1:59 pm

So I've been updating on Facebook but haven't had a chance to update here, but we had a really rough day with Shadow yesterday. She had a seizure at daycare around 10:30 in the morning, and seemed to be fine. When I got there at 4:00 they told me she'd had another one about an hour before I got there, and then she had another one right there in the lobby. I called the neurologist and they told me to take her home, keep her quiet, and keep a close eye, and that if she had another one I was to bring her straight in to the ER. Sure enough, we hadn't even gotten a mile up the road from daycare and she had another one, so I pulled a U Turn and headed towards the ER. I called enroute so they were ready for us, and they took her back immediately to evaluate and start medication. She got a loading dose of phenobarb IV, as well as valium to help break the cluster. That did the trick, but they wanted to keep her for observation. So far she's been seizure free since the initial presentation, and I have an appointment to see the neurologist and then bring her home at 4:00 today. Looks like we're going to be adding phenobarb to the mix for her medications, so I'll probably be looking at milk thistle as well to help keep her liver from being damaged.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Sad at least she has been good since the last one yesterday, Sierra is on milk thistle, we retest her liver next month. we were also doing SAM-e for the liver. hope shadow is better today

Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:08 pm

That's terrible, I couldn't imagine going through this with my pup. I hope y'all get her on the right cocktail soon and don't have to keep taking her to the er. Good luck! Give Shadow lots of hugs for me.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Oh no, so sorry to hear that.  Did they say anything more?  Any idea as to the cause?  Can you expect this again?  I would normally check FB but I am so overwhelmed right now with house shopping stuff I barely have time to check this space as it is.  Hugs to you and Shadow.

Regarding milk thistle, my mother in law had her late chi on milk thistle for her liver for a number of years as recommended by her holistic vet.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks guys. Right now they haven't offered any sort of explanation, but I will be talking to the neurologist today. I really hope we can get a better handle on this.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Hope you get some answers, it is so hard being left in the dark.

We had another hydro chi join the chi forum the other week looking for help and advice and I immediately thought of you and Shadow. It's sickening how many dogs live with this condition. Sad 

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 pm

I've been keeping up with your posts on FB. I hope the neurologist can this figured out soon! Poor Shadow Sad
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm so sorry, Mer. I thought Shadow was doing good with the 8 hr medicine. Hoping the neurologist can give you some insight today. *hugs*
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm so sorry, Meredith. How frightening for you. I hope the neurologist can help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Kodasmom
Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Female Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 4:37 pm

I just happen to be looking for hereditary conditions in Siberian Huskies and I found this pdf file that list diseases for many breeds. As I was reading them I found a correlation between seizures and Hypothyroidism which is common in Huskies.

Epilepsy: a disease characterized by convulsions (seizures) and/or disturbances of
consciousness. Hypothyroidism can predispose to seizures

Hypothyroidism: a very common endocrine disease where the body produces an
abnormally low amount of thyroid hormones. An autoimmune destruction of the thyroid gland
which affects more than 50 dog breeds

If anyone is interested, this is the link where I got the information.

http://www.hsvma.org/assets/pdfs/guide-to-congenital-and-heritable-disorders.pdf
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 1:17 am

That's great information, Marla! Thanks for posting.

Shadow's seizures aren't due to hereditary epilepsy, but there are a ton of Huskies on the canine epilepsy list serve I'm on. It's definitely one of those hereditary conditions that is rising in prevalence in the breed thanks to indiscriminate, unethical breeding.

On a happy note though, Shadow has been seizure free for just about 6 months Smile

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 am

Great news for shadow!

Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 8:32 am

I am so happy to hear the news about Shadow. My daughter has also been seizure free for 7 months. So, I completely understand what you are going through. It really does not matter if it is a 4 legged child or a 2 legged child. We just want them all to be healthy.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 10:08 am

Beautiful, sweet, adorable Shadow turned 1 year old yesterday! She had a great time at her birthday party and so did Dizzy! Neither of them were too fond of the party hats though. Wink happy birthday Shadow!!!!!!!

seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 Image18
Back to top Go down
Kodasmom
Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 am

Happy Birthday Shadow!
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 7:57 pm

Awww, Happy Birthday Shadow! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shadow is having seizures   seizures - Shadow is having seizures - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shadow is having seizures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next