It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  Empty
PostSubject: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 am

so im supposed to bring kiba in to meet with the manager apartments we want to move into and im so nervous. I know they want to be sure she's not aggressive or "to large" (over 50lbs) for them. any tips on how we can keep kiba calm and behaving??

She gets SUPER excited about new people and i usually have to have the gentle leader on her so she wont jump or pull but am afraid they will see it on her face and immediately pass judgment that its a muzzle. Should i keep it on her and explain it? I also don't want them to think she's gonna be more than 50lbs b/c its very unlikely at this point but people tend to think huskies are BIG dogs. She's close to 38 right now at almost 11 months and comes up to just above my knee.
im so nervous b/c i really want to live there. I dont want them to see a husky with a face harness and think "aggressive dog that will grow huge"
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 am

Wear her out as much as possible and pick up some beef jerky on the way. Dizzy will behave and totally ignore anything for beef jerky. I would skip the gentle leader because I think most people assume its a muzzle and even if you explain it that seed might be planted in the manager's mind. Maybe try a leather martingale collar or a regular martingale if you can't get a leather one on short notice. If you place it higher on her neck (think show dog) that will help cut down on pulling a lot. Dizzy can barely pull if its up close to his ears and jaw. Ask her to sit or lay down before she has a chance to jump. If you're concerned about them assuming she's going to get huge, print out the breed standard and take it with you.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:58 am

Also, good luck! And keep yourself as calm as you can. Smile That will help her stay calm too.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Dogs are very intuitive. Kiba will come through for you in your hour of need. Exude calm and confidence when you go in and she will too. You both will do great.

Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:14 pm

good idea- i actually had thought to *maybe* bring a standard along with me but then i didnt want to seem like this anal know-it-all owner. although i think ill just have on hand just in case b/c i dont want a misconception to stop me from moving. im not sure if ill have time to grab a martingale . hmm.. i pretty much have to rush over there in about two hours on my lunch and try and do this meeting as fast as possible. the good thing is hubby said he can run her around for a bit before we go. thanks for the feedback. anyone else have thoughts or suggestions?
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:22 pm

anyone else care to weigh in on the face harness vs no face harness thing? i am curious to hear more on what people think of that b/c with it she wont jump up on people or pull me. without it she sniffs and pulls and is A.D.D.. but i have only had a very few people who did not think it was a muzzle. Neutral
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 pm

I personally had never seen one before I got on this forum. To me I think it's obvious looking at it that it serves no muzzling purposes and if you have treats along and give Kiba some it's going to be even more obvious that she can open her mouth anytime she wants so it's not a muzzle and has nothing to do with her being an aggressive dog. I would take the normal lead along in case he wants to see her on it too if he isn't convinced after a simple explanation and demonstration, but unless you've gotten the feeling prior from the landlord that he's already against you and Kiba I wouldn't worry about it.

Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:35 pm

if anyone hasnt seen it, they look like this (except ours is tan)
apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  Gl10

ive not gotten a good read on this lady to be honest. someone told me the like dogs which gives me hope though! this will be our first time meeting her because she did not give us our initial tour.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Honestly, I would skip the GL. I use one for two of my four ATM and EVERYONE thinks it's a muzzle. Seriously, everyone. Skip it. Tire her out as much as possible and bring along a SUPER high value treat to keep her attention.

Good luck!!! I'd be a nervous wreck, but think *zen*.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Just echoing what others have said, I wouldn't have the face harness on. We know what it is, but first impressions are important and if the manager thinks it is a muzzle, it could lead to mistrust for no good reason. Yes, wear her out as much as possible, they're so well behaved when they're tired Smile and high value treats.

I wouldn't be worried about being known as the "know-it-all owner". I think it shows that you know your stuff and you care for your dog. Much better that you come prepared with all of the information than not having anything and the manager assuming something.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 pm

okay, we will probably skip it then and bring a little baggy of treats for her. this is the point at which im going "darn it! I should have paid for obedience training" lol. she's usually good for 10-15 minutes before getting whiny and jumpy and kind of obnoxious. Crossing my fingers she's tired out enough to keep it together and not let that puppy psycho-ness come out. thanks for the kind words everyone!!!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Maybe bring a toy or bully stick (non stink) as well. Something that will occupy her when she gets bored. Smile
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 1:22 pm

cant hurt right? Smile i will try to grab one on my way out the door. yikes im leaving in ten minutes! about to find out what they think of my little girl
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 1:34 pm

KibaHope wrote:
cant hurt right? Smile i will try to grab one on my way out the door.  yikes im leaving in ten minutes! about to find out what they think of my little girl

Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Good luck! If they don't love her then they just don't love dogs.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Well... How did it go?
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 pm

just got back. it went super well. my husband took her on a run and so she was the perfect angel (tired husky= well behaved husky). All they need now is my vet to write a letter that she's got no aggression issues (which she doesnt) so its looking really promising. And besides she licked them all to death so i dont think they are worried she's aggressive but its a formality/policy. WooHOO! Thanks everyone!! good advice!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Glad it went well!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Yay!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 3:08 pm

KibaHope wrote:
just got back. it went super well. my husband took her on a run and so she was the perfect angel (tired husky= well behaved husky). All they need now is my vet to write a letter that she's got no aggression issues (which she doesnt) so its looking really promising. And besides she licked them all to death so i dont think they are worried she's aggressive but its a formality/policy.  WooHOO!  Thanks everyone!! good advice!

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm

oh and we went sans head collar and she was pooped so she didnt even need it.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Congrats! Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Yay!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Congrats girl!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Congrats!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0    apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0  Empty

Back to top Go down

apt manager meeting my dog today 0_0

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1