It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Brushing and Bathing Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Brushing and Bathing Questions Empty
PostSubject: Brushing and Bathing Questions   Brushing and Bathing Questions EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 12:15 am

Loki is going on 5 months. He has been getting weekly brushings that seem to be getting better. Not much hair comes off of him though. He has a slicker/shorter coat more like a lab I guess then a lot of fluffy husky puppy pictures I see (he may be mixed - not sure). He also smells some and it is almost 3 weeks since last bath, so would like to bath him soon. The vet didn't see anything wrong with his smell or skin, so I assume it is not serious as I did ask about it. Just have a few questions.

For his brushing, about how long and often should I get him use to brushing? For my other dogs, it usually is 5-10 minutes a day. Weekly normally and then daily or every other day when they are shedding a lot. Should he get use to longer sessions? And I have heard huskies can get matts, where do they get matts? Is it their necks and legs? I want him to be most use to be brushing those areas. Finally, does anyone use the animal attachment for hair from dyson? My lab is fine with it, just wondering if I can or should get him use to it.

He has been a little itchy, so the vet recommended a aloe vera based shampoo. But will that help the smell? He was a little better after the baths. He is really doggy smelly and not sure what to do to fix it. Would you agree on using aloe vera shampoo/condition? Any different options? I use oatmeal for my other dogs.
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Brushing and Bathing Questions   Brushing and Bathing Questions EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 1:27 am

I am a dog groomer. ^_^
Huskies - usually the more fluffy ones can get packed undercoat that doesn't like to brush / blow out, that then becomes matted. Usually the most severe matting occurs in the fluffy butt-cheek areas, just inside of the back thighs (commonly known in my shop as "Golden knots"), and where a collar or harness might rub.

I have seen plenty of huskies with short coats, I'm not sure why husky coats vary so much, but I've seen every kind from lab-like to long coated. Since he is not so fluffy, just getting him used to being completely brushed in one sitting should be plenty. Its really up to you to discern how often he needs brushing since it can change seasonally and as he switches to adult coat. Weekly or more sounds good to me. ^_^ (My girl gets complete bath & groom about every 2 weeks and brushed once a week - but I'm super picky and take her out to a lot of places Razz)

Oatmeal is great, but is not usually long-lasting... I've never heard either way about Aloe.. but we also have a Medicated Shampoo at our disposal that does have long lasting effect to fight itchy skin etc.

If you're willing to do a little searching / inspecting, you should be able to hopefully find a nice grooming shop - with a reasonable price - We charge around $30-$40 for huskies. He's at a good age -as long as his puppy shots are done - to learn all the ins & outs of grooming.
Any good groomer should also include nail trimming, fuzzy feet trimming, ear cleaning, 'sanitary' areas, etc. and your pup Will be fully and completely dried - if they're any good. Plus if power-dried, most of the loose undercoat should be blown out.
Staying damp for a lengthy time near their skin / in undercoat - even if they seem dry on top, can lead to some funk and possible skin irritation.

So if he gets itchy / funky sometimes, you could get him on a schedule to get the whole thorough package occasionally.

We have huskies that come in every 4 weeks, and others every few months. all depends on you - since he is shorter, you might not need to go to the groomers often, unless you really like it lol.

If you really want to get into it.. you could see about buying yourself a power dryer, I know some husky owners on here have. I don't know how I'd live without the use of a power dryer.

Hope this helps. ^_^
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Brushing and Bathing Questions   Brushing and Bathing Questions EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 6:13 am

Continue on the weekly grooming routine, so it will be normal for him one day.
Bathing with shampoos is not really good for the coat. I wouldn´t bath him more often than two times a year. If you have a garden or a yard take him outside, take a garden hose and there you go. He might not like it but it will do without shampoo
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Brushing and Bathing Questions   Brushing and Bathing Questions EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 11:18 am

For brushing, i useually brush blu for about 15 to 20 minuets a day (or try to anyway, some days he just doesn't want to stay still for that long). for a brush i have this thing called a shed blade (i think) his groomer who i've become good friends with gave it to me (she also happens to be a husky breeder, blu loves going to her house!) and it seems to work great.

as for bathing, blu use to get a bit of a funk to him when he was younger, but that seemed to have stopped. he useually get's a bath once every 2 months or so, or as needed (for instance... playing at the lake and coming back smelling like river water and fish!) i personally like the shampoo they use at petsmart, im not sure what it is called exactly but it seems to keep him smelling nice for up to 3 weeks. for drying i use towels and a regular blow dryer (on a low cool heat) seems to work fine but take quite a long time to get him fully dry.

I'd have to agree with what colleen has said, taking him to a decent groomer as needed is most certainly an option... and for 30 to 40 bucks for all the work they do... totally worth it. atleast for me because im terrible with trimming nails (mainly dew claws, but i can never find that quick vein >.<)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brushing and Bathing Questions   Brushing and Bathing Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Brushing and Bathing Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1