It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Scared of brushing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dentonate
Newborn
Newborn

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Hey Guys!

Kygo is definitely not a fan of brushings (and i need to do it daily). Any suggestions? He is alright with right under his chin and back but as soon as i try the tail, butt, chest, or under legs.. he goes nuts. Jumps to the side and back and whines.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 2:14 pm

I don't know how old Kygo is but Ami is a holy terror to groom - Once I leave his face and forward upper back, it's buckin' bronco time - I usually end up either straddling him and holding on to his collar or wrapping his leashdown through his front legs, up and around his chest and hooking that to a doorknob.

Ami never looks really perfectly groomed but most of the time he is mostly clean and free of matts. The bar is low in this household Rolling Eyes He gets checked for ticks just before bed when he rolls over and stretches for a belly rub - it's a nightly ritual and he doesn't know he's being checked.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Bode is NOT a fan of brushing either. It's a two person job in our house and we keep the sessions quick.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 3:12 pm

There are two things that Avalanche will take off running from - the water hose and a brush. I gave up trying to brush him a long time back. When he blows his coat it's easier to just pick tufts out. Since he's really short haired his blow doesn't last very long.

If I'm using a soft brush (like a hair brush) Sasha will roll belly up and let me brush; if I'm using a slicker she'll tolerate brushing for a while. She's blowing her coat now (and has been!), most of the time I brush her outside and let the wind blow the hair onto the neighbors land (or into Mexico, whichever comes first) She'll object after a few minutes but by then I've gotten the worst of the really loose hair off her. As I brush her more, she's more tolerant of it.

If Kygo objects that badly, I think I'd go for very short session with a treat at the end - and very short is like a minute or two. You might also want to consider the brush you're using, slickers tend to be sharp and on a short haired dog are more apt to get an adverse reaction - they'd hurt!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I tried a brush (similar to a human's) when Miya was a baby, nope, he sharp little teeth prevented me. When she did her first blow at about 5 months old, I used a rake comb, Miya is similar to Al's Avalanche, very short coat, so I pull clumps and use the rake. I do talk to her in a very soothing gentle voice, and she will tolerate it for a few minutes, all the while telling her she is a good girl. There have been times where I will take a blanket out and lay with her and rake her as well. So sleepy time for me is the best time to do it. I will do sections and rake her over a course of several days. I also have noticed if I let her swim it will take off a lot of her shedding hair.....As odd as it sounds she prefers the rake, I just do it in a soft, gentle glide.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Mylo can tolerate brushing. I usually start off with a slicker brush then get on with the angled teeth brush (idk what that one is called haha). I like to brush him in the morning when I'm barely getting up and he's still in sleepy mode before breakfast…I keep it short, about five minutes per side. I put most focus in his thigh area.

While brushing I get his antler and stuff it in his mouth just in case he starts feeling mouthy then he starts biting the antler haha. I keep hold of the antler for the whole session.

Brushing his chest and legs are the hardest part…To brush his belly I make him roll over and I rub a little bit of almond butter on my hand to keep him going. I can brush the top of his tail for a few moments until he moves but, I haven't been successful at brushing the underside of his tail..

My groomer said to start trying to brush him in the middle of the day but hahaha I don't even want to try..I'll stick to early morning and bed time brushing sessions! It works.

Try putting some almond/peanut butter on your hand and while hes licking away on the butter brush away! A little bit of butter at a time of course. Yeah yeah some might say it's like bribery but hey its a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 7:43 pm

I would suggest a kong filled with something frozen such as yogurt or peanutbutter, then get a spray bottle with some conditioner/coconut oil/ mixed half with water. lightly mist the coat and use a rake brush slowly while hes distracted brushing with the conditioner will help it glide and it also takes out more hair I've noticed. Miya used to be fussy with the brush but i just let her know she can get away with being a brate, so If that doesnt work, i keep a leash on her and put the handle around my foot. I have her lay down brush her give her a piece of a high valued treat, repeat. Eventually she learned to enjoy being brushed took some time but now she gets excited when she shes the brushing tools come out cause she knows she'll get rewarded for being a good girl lol it worked for me, maybe not for everyone. Hope I helped Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Ooo...there's some good ideas here. I'l have to try.
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 9:56 pm

My fiance helped me with loki when we first got him. He took a toy and played with him to keep him distracted while I brushed his back. Now he just lays there while I brush him. I agree with others that I helps to have a toy or a chew handy. I usually talk to him while I do it too. It also helps to do it after exercise because he's too tired to fight me lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scared of brushing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scared of brushing   Scared of brushing Empty

Back to top Go down

Scared of brushing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1