It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help me find out if my dog is pure husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gumdrop
Newborn
Newborn

Help me find out if my dog is pure husky Empty
PostSubject: Help me find out if my dog is pure husky   Help me find out if my dog is pure husky EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey guys, new to the forums here, and I need some help identifying if my dog is pure bred husky or not. Or if she is, maybe the place I got her from gave me the wrong birth date.

Her name is Kya, she was born April 3 2013, so that puts her at almost 5 months old. Last time I weighed her, she was about 17 pounds. She is about 18" high from floor to shoulders.

I see that most huskies at 5 months are much bigger.

I bought her back in July from a crappy puppy mill, when they told me her birth date of April 3. No akc papers were given to me so I have no proof she is full bred. I'm not sure if she was actually born April 3, or is true bred husky, here are pictures below!

Help me find out if my dog is pure husky IMG_0031
Help me find out if my dog is pure husky IMG_0034
Help me find out if my dog is pure husky Img_0010" />

Help me find out if my dog is pure husky IMG_0030

Help me find out if my dog is pure husky IMG_0004

Last edited by Gumdrop on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding pictures)
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Help me find out if my dog is pure husky   Help me find out if my dog is pure husky EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 pm

she looks all husky to me, might just be on the super small side for a female. stay away from those crappy puppy mills in the future.

what are you feeding her and how much a day?

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Help me find out if my dog is pure husky   Help me find out if my dog is pure husky EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah, she definitely looks all husky to me too. They can be small. Asia is little. She's about a year and 10 months, weighs 34lbs, and is 19" from shoulder to floor.

Edit: You can see how little she is in my signature pic Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Help me find out if my dog is pure husky   Help me find out if my dog is pure husky EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 pm

It's hard to tell from just that one picture, but I don't see anything to indicate that she isn't pure. Females can be pretty small. Hailey is only 45 lbs. Everyone thinks she's a puppy when you compare her size to Koda's.

Definitely stay away from the mills in the future. Welcome to the forum Smile

Help me find out if my dog is pure husky Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Gumdrop
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help me find out if my dog is pure husky   Help me find out if my dog is pure husky EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 pm

Thanks guys! I feed her Pedigree for Puppies, twice a day (morning, evening) about 3-3.5 cups a day total.

Yes I will definitely stay away from puppy mills! Didn't quite know it was a puppy mill until I went to the place, and it was an hour away, and I was looking at a male, didn't like the male and Kya came running out of the fenced in yard and was beautiful so I just had to have her! Guess it's destiny lol.

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Help me find out if my dog is pure husky   Help me find out if my dog is pure husky EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 3:43 am

She looks all husky to me as one would expect from her breeder, but obviously I don't know for certain. It probably doesn't matter much since she doesn't have papers and she will just be your baby girl, purebred or not. What's done is done but I definitely echo what has been already said in steering clear from those kind of 'breeders'.

On a different note though, I would look into some other foods. You can see dog food ratings at dogfoodadvisor.com. My foster came to me eating Pedigree, and I started the switch over to TOTW immediately and had him on 100% TOTW after a couple weeks. and the difference was amazing. My first two have been on it since they were puppies so I never really got a chance to rate Food A vs Food B until I got Link, but there were so many improvements that I didn't even know diet could change. I guess the main thing I would be concerned with is finding a grain-free food ^-^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me find out if my dog is pure husky   Help me find out if my dog is pure husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me find out if my dog is pure husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1