It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Please help me Potty Train

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Markie.re
Newborn
Newborn

Please help me Potty Train Empty
PostSubject: Please help me Potty Train   Please help me Potty Train EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 7:19 am

Hello All,

So I need to spend more time reading through these threads but I am kinda at a loss and wanted to see if anyone has situation specific aids for us.

My fiancé and I have both owned many dogs though we just "inherited" a 10 month old beautiful Siberian Husky puppy named Judge.

Some background: Judge is a good dog, he was a family member's and unfortunately spent a TON of time in his crate and we don't have a whole lot of information on his bathroom in the house situation. He must have been pretty severely scolded because when he does eliminate in the house or chew something up he becomes scared enough that he tends to freak out a bit - we are going a no scolding route with positive reinforcement only technique based on what we have researched - and then he eliminates more in the house.

Yesterday while we were at work and he was crated he ate a whole in the crate and chewed up about 3'x2' of carpet. When we came home we did not punish, this was my fault for leaving the crate over carpet and that as well as the plastic crate situation have been solved. However he became so agitated he had his first accident inside. No warning signs. He had gone out on his normal schedule and everything. We cleaned it and took him outside. He did it again. And today he poo'd all over the carpet without warning - he does kind of warn us most of the time which is why we built the schedule we did for him.

Tonight we came home and all was good. I got him a pheromone collar that seems to have helped with the separation anxiety and he was a happy pup who took a 3 mile walk. Shortly after the walk without warning - whining, pacing, nudging or anything I notice - he peed on the carpet again.

We are using non-ammonia cleaner. Unfortunately we live in a 7 story apartment building for the next 2 months but will then be in a house. I am pretty much at the end of ideas for potty training. We are going to try the bell trick but as he isn't giving other signs I wonder if this is him acting out and if anyone has any suggestions on fixes. We will do anything we can. Please let me know!

Thank you,
Markie, Ben & Judge
Renton, Washington
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

Please help me Potty Train Empty
PostSubject: Re: Please help me Potty Train   Please help me Potty Train EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 am

There is quiet a few threads on here for potty training, make sure your cleaning up the pee and poo with a cleaner that will take the smell out of the carpet because if the pup can smell that they went there before then they will think its okay to go again.. i use natures miracle, worked well for me....

Make sure your giving praise and treats everytime the pup goes out side...take the pup out more often, so if your doing it every hour try every half hour, you can try to take the pup to the same spot of the lawn every time for going potty (that helped me tremendously)

Last i would say, dont let the pup out of your sight, that way you can see what signs the pup is giving off before they try to go, alot of times they are very brief with their warnings, if you have to you can teather him to you so he cant stray to far from ya,
Back to top Go down

Please help me Potty Train

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1